Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Where are they now?

(32 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 04-May-14 20:20:03

DD found her cousin whom she'd never met on FB. DH and his sister fell out before DD was born.
I found a pen friend that I wrote to for 5 yrs before I knew DH. I was persuaded to stop writing to him. DH obviously no longer thinks he's a threat. As he no longer objects to us having contact.
I didn't have friends at school sad

janerowena Sun 04-May-14 13:38:35

I did find some a couple of years ago, through FR. One drove all the way up here to see me, and now we communicate on FB. The others started out as a flurry of emails, which gradually petered out, but we send xmas cards now and it's good to know that they are still there. Only one has died that I know of, in a car crash.

Bellasnana Sun 04-May-14 11:13:12

Am still in touch with quite a number of old school friends from primary and secondary school. Went back for a reunion when we were all about 40 and was amazed that we all recognised each other even after all those years.

I still have close friends from college and from every job I had along the way, plus another lovely friend who I met in Farnborough Hospital in Kent when we shared a room after delivering our first babies 32 years ago. They have visited us in Malta and we have stayed with them in the UK.

Just wish my friends lived closer, but we all know we can count on each other and would help each other out in a heartbeat.

Nonu Sun 04-May-14 10:33:05

I had a card at Christmas from someone I had been at college with 50 years ago.

I found that really , really weird, didn't do anything for me at all.

I ignored it !!

:-(

Pittcity Sun 04-May-14 09:41:28

My year at secondary school has a Facebook group, but only a fraction of the year has found it. I have also found a few from primary school on Facebook. They are now spread all over the world. Very few have stayed in the original area -Redbridge, Essex. I'd love to know if any are on GN.

annsixty Sun 04-May-14 09:33:35

Yes Aka you are not on your own in that.I tried a few years ago to make contact through Friends Re united,some general queries and some specific,with very limited success. I didn't continue for long, having the not un-natural thought that some may have died.

Aka Sun 04-May-14 08:51:09

Ever wondered what happened to your old friends from school, or college or Uni? Or perhaps a Mothers and Toddlers group?

Yes, there's Friends Reunited but perhaps, as they may well have GC they could instead be using GN. I often wonder if any of the posters might be Pam or Tina or Terry or Barbara, last seen as bright-eyed 21 year olds in 1968 setting out on new teaching careers.

Perhaps GN could have an official 'Where are they now' section?