Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

heirlooms

(7 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 26-May-14 00:08:41

I have my grandfather's possibly great grandfather's christening robe. I would have used it for DD but it's tiny

MY grandfather was a blacksmith in the Household Cavalry.

annodomini Sun 25-May-14 21:23:44

I have a Georgian bow-fronted mahogany chest of drawers which came from the family rectory in Leicestershire. It's about 200 years old and the amount of junk I manage to keep in it is disgraceful.

Grannyknot Sun 25-May-14 20:56:05

I love that NFK. My great grandfather (the one in the photo) was also a blacksmith. smile

rosesarered Sun 25-May-14 20:41:18

that's nice Nfk smile

NfkDumpling Sun 25-May-14 19:53:17

How lovely Grannyknot. My 'precious' heirloom isn't nearly as valuable monetarily. It's a cheap willow pattern type plate with a large crack across the middle. It belonged to my great grandmother who came from one of the poorest parts of Norwich. It was one of the first things she bought when she married 'up'. My great grandfather became a successful blacksmith although neither of them could read or write and the plate has been passed down mother to daughter for us to remember our roots and what our family has achieved.

Grannyknot Sun 25-May-14 19:06:41

Tricia, I own an embroidered traycloth made by my gran, which I treasure. It is embroidered with hibiscus flowers and she crocheted around the edge of it. I never use it, it is kept in a drawer, as it is "old fashioned".

I inherited a gold pendant from my gran which has a photograph of my great grandfather holding my gran as a baby on one side, and on the other side, a photo of her as a young woman, aged probably about 16 (but she looks much older in the photo due to how she is dressed). It is an open pendant, the photos show and I always get complimented on it when I wear it (quite often). I was told by my gran that it would be mine when she died, and that it is made out of "early Transvaal gold". It will be my daughter's one day.

TriciaF Sun 25-May-14 18:43:43

Today I washed and ironed a small white linen tablecloth, with a finely crocheted butterfly on each corner. I remembered it was made by my Dad's mother - "Grandma."
It's still in good condition, like new almost.
Hoping to pass it on to one of ours when I go!
It made me wonder what ancient things other people have to pass on to the next generation?