Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Free weekend at findmypast

(11 Posts)
Elegran Fri 07-Nov-14 21:11:15

Don't forget FreeBMD, and FreeCEN (Census data) and FreeREG (Parish Registers)

Elegran Fri 07-Nov-14 21:02:30

Glad you were entertained, Baubles (and others)
Charleygirl the Scottish B/M/D records are not on findmypast, they are on Scotland's People. Not free, sadly, but you can buy vouchers if you register.

The site says "Access to statutory, OPR, Catholic parish register and census indexes costs £7 GBP. For this fee, you will receive 30 "page credits" which are valid for 1 full year. Viewing a page of index results costs 1 credit and each page will contain up to 25 search results. Viewing an image costs 5 credits (equivalent to £1.17 GBP). Your session begins when payment has been authorised and additional credits may be purchased in £7 GBP increments. The session will restart with each new credit purchase."

rosequartz Fri 07-Nov-14 20:51:52

Charleygirl you are just so young!! However, Scottish records should be on there (Irish ones are a bit more difficult to find).

baubles Fri 07-Nov-14 20:39:49

My word, that was a quick 3 hours!

I've started a tree mainly with details that I already know about my family however as all of my siblings moved to England and married/divorced/had children there, I've managed to get all of their records.

I've got a couple of the Irish records but I may have to search further afield for the bulk of them. Same for the Scottish ones.

Thank you for that Elegran I know now how I'm going to pass the time while my arm is in plaster. smile

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Nov-14 20:39:47

I am ploughing through records right now on my subscription at FMP trying to find a button maker called Cornelius Hardman in Birmingham.

He is quite possibly the brother in law of one of my ancestors sisters, and might well have been the witness on the marriage licence of said sister.

I am trying to find where/when she died. Why I am following this I really do not know as I am not descended from that my ancestors sister.

It's too addictive this family history.

I do so like a challenge.

I think I better just go and watch Lewis instead if I want a detective story.

Charleygirl Fri 07-Nov-14 20:25:20

Would the problem be that my mother was Irish, my father Scottish and I was born in Scotland?

Elegran Fri 07-Nov-14 18:49:12

Try looking for your parents' birth/marriage records, not yourself, Charleygirl Presumably you know their approximate dates of birth and wedding date? Or grandparents' records and in censuses in 1911 or before.

Charleygirl Fri 07-Nov-14 17:51:45

Thank you. I did try it but I need not have bothered, I do not exist as I have not been born yet. I may try again later.

Ariadne Fri 07-Nov-14 17:39:29

And it is pouring with rain! This will occupy Theseus if he isn't sorting out things. Thank you. (there is, he knows, a family burial plot in Elgin....)

baubles Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:08

Thanks * Elegran* I'm off to have a browse.

I'm not sure how successful I'll be as my family are Irish on my mother's side & my father's family were too, although a couple of generations back.

Elegran Fri 07-Nov-14 15:37:33

No charges this weekend at findmypast. A good chance to get stuck in!

www.findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend?sisearchengine=1068&siproduct=Email&utm_source=fmpuk_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=187405