What did you wear in your youth?

(57 Posts)
NanKate Sat 08-Nov-14 21:58:34

In the 1950s my Dad got me a Davy Crockett hat and I loved it. hmm

NanKate Mon 10-Nov-14 19:09:07

Do you remember wearing sloppy joes ?

Coolgran65 Mon 10-Nov-14 19:13:23

Oh yes:
the Max Factor cake mascara - multi layered coats and 'combed' in between each layer.

The white plastic knee length boots worn with a burgundy military style midi dress (one of the few that were shop bought). I worked in the local hospital nearby and went home at lunchtime but even in mid winter I didn't wear a coat because I thought I looked so good, especially with a long long white scarf.

I had one dress pattern - empire line/mini/sleeveless and used it about 8 times to make to make dresses to go dancing. Could make the dress in a day. Silky fabric and worn with gold flat sandals that had a big bunch of gold sequins on the front. Mid winter we'd walk home after dancing all evening with no coat - we didn't feel the cold - but probably thought that a coat would spoil the 'look'.

I made black flares one Saturday morning to wear that night, didn't worry too much about a perfect finish at the waistband as it would be hidden by a smock top. smile

whitewave Mon 10-Nov-14 19:15:07

Black and white Biba mini dress black patent shoes.
Previously I remember my first winkle pickers of pearlized (spelling?) green. Full skirts and loads of petticoats.

rosequartz Mon 10-Nov-14 19:32:46

Paper nylon petticoats which had to be stiffened in sugar water in the bath.

I was married by the time mini skirts came in; DH was away and when he came home he was horrified that I was wearing short skirts to work!

rosequartz Mon 10-Nov-14 19:33:56

NanKate I started to knit a 'sloppy joe' for a boyfriend, but of course we had finished before I finished the sweater!

Katek Mon 10-Nov-14 21:46:52

I had a lovely canary yellow A line mini dress with full length bell sleeves trimmed with silver sequins. I wore it with yellow tights and burgundy suede Mary Janes and my dad said I looked like a chicken!