Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Greenshield stamps and cigarette coupons.

(4 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 14-Nov-14 23:24:25

Did you save those green stamps - I think they were from Tescos? And pink ones from Safeways? Also the coupons in cigarette packets, which we saved avidly, in the days when we smoked. (I gave up in 1976). There was a catalogue and we got all sorts of household goods that way. Hearth rugs, clocks, cutlery and so on. I suppose today's equivalent would be shops loyalty cards.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 23:49:34

When I was engaged (before I met DH) we both smoked and saved Embassy coupons. We had loads, all saved in a big cardboard box. We then parted company which I thought was done in a civilized manner.

Two months later however, my ex fiancee banged on the front door and ranted and raved at my poor father that I'd diddled him out of his half of the Embassy coupons hmm

I had great pleasure in opening my bedroom window and throwing the whole bally lot over his head. I can't remember how long it took him to pick them all up but I did threaten him with a bucket of water if he made a fuss. grin

absent Sat 15-Nov-14 00:47:31

My first husband proposed to me at a party where we had to dress as film titles. I sewed a heap of cigarette coupons and Green Shield stamps to my clothes and went as The Collector. He, on the other hand, decided to dress as the rather more obscure Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

tiggypiro Sat 15-Nov-14 08:22:52

My dad smoked and I was always disappointed that he smoked Players which didn't have coupons and also our shops didn't give Greenshield stamps. I think I was diddled !! The best we could do were the cards from PG tips and the Gollies from marmalade.