Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Were we more superstitious in our youth?

(21 Posts)
NanKate Sat 03-Jan-15 22:55:51

I never walked under a ladder.

My mum told me not to cut my nails on a Sunday

Ana Sat 03-Jan-15 23:04:49

Do you mean that you do both those things now, NanKate? confused

merlotgran Sat 03-Jan-15 23:05:30

Mum would have had a fit if I'd put new shoes on the table.

Ana Sat 03-Jan-15 23:06:00

Or is this just going to be a list of superstitions...

Ana Sat 03-Jan-15 23:06:28

Yes, I thought so. hmm

Nelliemoser Sat 03-Jan-15 23:40:36

I don't take any notice of superstitions, or charms to bring good luck.

Some UK folk law about weather may have some relevance though.

I think things like putting shoes on tables were considered as curses.

vampirequeen Sun 04-Jan-15 08:02:51

I throw salt over my shoulder to ward off the devil lol

Iam64 Sun 04-Jan-15 10:00:49

I've posted on the thread about Christmas decorations, that I grew up surrounded by superstitions and find they stay with me. I throw salt over my shoulder as well vampire, don't put any shoes on the table ever, don't walk under ladders and if I remember, find myself saying Rabbits Rabbits Rabbits at the beginning of the month. I'm still uncertain whether I can take the Christmas decorations down before 12th night - those 3 kings you know smile

granjura Sun 04-Jan-15 12:34:53

Never ever been superstitious. In fact, I was always 'reverse superstitious' out of mischief- if told not to walk under a ladder, I'd run and run around it, lol. Sticking to 12th day fro fun and 'tradition' and not supersitition.

Just hated and ignored those awful letter or e-mails that tell you to re-post to so many people, blabla, lest something awful will happen. Was once cursed by a gipsy at Barcelona Cathedral for not buying one of her expensive roses. Didn't let it spoil my holiday or my sleep. Mind you, years later I met another gipsy and told here the story, so she lifted the curse- so I am quite safe, lol.

NanKate Sun 04-Jan-15 14:00:10

To answer your question Ana I also say ! 'Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits, carrots, carrots, carrots' on the first of the month, otherwise I am verging on being normal. hmm

Katek Sun 04-Jan-15 15:43:10

A bit off topic but when exactly is Twelfth Night? I never know if you count from Xmas Eve or Xmas Day.

Leticia Sun 04-Jan-15 15:53:56

6th January

Ana Sun 04-Jan-15 15:55:08

5th January!

FlicketyB Sun 04-Jan-15 16:56:30

I can't remember hearing or acting upon any superstitions at home, but I can remember being introduced to all kinds of superstitions at school.

Leticia Sun 04-Jan-15 17:18:24

I think you can choose your 12th night!

'The Church of England insists Twelfth Night was on Monday – Jan 5 – and refers to the night before Epiphany, the day when the nativity story tells us that the three wise men visited the infant Jesus.
But many people believe Twelfth Night falls on Jan 6, at the end of the 12th day after Christmas, and so keep their decorations hanging in their homes for an extra day.
The difference in opinion is said to be down to the fact that in centuries past, Christmas was deemed to start at sunset on Dec 24 and so the 12th night following it was Jan 5. Nowadays, people count from Dec 25 and so assume Twelfth Night falls on the 6th.
Adding to the confusion, however, most of England's churches remain decorated beyond Twelfth Night so that they can use crib scenes in Epiphany services.'

I always take my decorations down on 2nd or 3rd.

Leticia Sun 04-Jan-15 17:19:05

Either you are superstitious or you are not.
I wasn't when I was young and I am not now.

Ana Sun 04-Jan-15 17:32:08

Neither am I - but I still prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to Twelfth Night! wink

rubysong Sun 04-Jan-15 20:46:18

In my opinion world twelfth night is 5th and the decorations stay until 6th. Twelfth night was traditionally the final celebration of the Christmas period, it was a riotous party with the 'lord of misrule' in charge. (He was chosen by finding a bean in a cake I believe.) There will be no misrule here on Monday night but the decs will stay up just in case and come down on Tuesday.

grannyactivist Mon 05-Jan-15 01:12:56

My mother was, and is, ridiculously superstitious - and so are my siblings. I am not.

papaoscar Mon 05-Jan-15 03:00:16

Superstitions. All daft, surely? But I still don't tempt fate and walk under ladders

loopylou Mon 05-Jan-15 06:56:35

My mother is also very superstitious but generally I'm not ( hedge my bets!), but some things are almost instinctive e.g. throwing spilt salt over left shoulder..... Thanks mum! grin