Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Gedcom

(47 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 31-Jul-15 09:40:54

Have been trying to understand this ! Am I correct ? I upload it on Ancestry and my tree will transfer to my p.c. ? I can then put it on softwear. Would be grateful for softwear recommendations , I have seen family tree maker but hoped there is one which costs less. Thank you

durhamjen Wed 05-Aug-15 13:09:41

Have you asked for him back, Annie?
This just made me realise that I haven't put my husband's death on the family tree. I think it's because it makes it seem too final, as if he was from a different era.
Last month my grandson was drawing a family tree, and even though he was writing the dates for all the other family members, he did not want to for his grandad, so he didn't.

Anniebach Wed 05-Aug-15 16:03:29

Nooo Jen, I would have to pay back over thirty years state widows pension and police widows pension

Yes if you put the date of death it does make them seem from a previous generation , my husbands date of death is over twenty years before my parents

rosequartz Thu 06-Aug-15 20:12:50

Annie I would hope that the woman in America would have noticed by now.

pompa Thu 06-Aug-15 20:47:28

Only just spotted this thread, I regularly use GDCOM files to transfer our family tree records up to Ancestry. As others have said it is a standard file format for transferring data between genealogy software. ie from Ancestry to your PC software or from you PC software to Ancestry.

We use the excellent (and totally free) legacy software to record all our genealogy data on our PC. The free version of Legacy also has quite comprehensive print options to enable you to produce a wide range of charts etc. To transfer this data to Ancestry all that is required is to choose the "Export Gedcom" option, this creates a file that can then be uploaded to Ancestry (other geology software is available)

Anniebach Fri 07-Aug-15 17:31:32

rosequartz, i have thought of telling her

rosequartz Fri 07-Aug-15 22:57:37

She won't listen, Anniebach, like the woman who claims my Great grandmother and has buried her in America not Oxfordshire.

Anniebach Fri 07-Aug-15 23:34:58

rosequartz , I learned to let them be happy but wrong, I did advise one person that my g granny never left Anglesey , born,married , died there, married a stone mason and had nine children all on the Island - no, she married a sailor and they emigrated to America and lived into her eighties, no matter she died age 49 in Wales . He had been thorough in his research and suggested I did the same ! Seems my Grandpa didn't know who his mother was ?

rosequartz Mon 17-Aug-15 23:08:59

Anniebach let them be happy but wrong grin

Anniebach Sat 29-Aug-15 12:00:35

Having trouble find a tree maker to download with windows 10 , can anyone advise please

pompa Sat 29-Aug-15 12:34:01

Anniebach, we have used Legacy for many years and find it superb, does everything we need. It has a free version, which is what we use. Never had a reason to upgrade to the paid version and we have over 500 records. Get it here, choose the standard, free version.:-

www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Anniebach Sat 29-Aug-15 12:38:16

Thank you pompa, can gedcom from ancestry be transferred to it ?

pompa Sat 29-Aug-15 12:54:24

Yes it has full Gedcom functionality, export and import. It can produce and print dozens of different reports etc. Just give it a try, you will be surprised what a free product can do.
If you have any problems, just ask and I will try to help.

Anniebach Sat 29-Aug-15 13:09:04

How kind, thank you pompa

Daisyanswerdo Sun 30-Aug-15 11:10:30

pompa, if I may take you up on your kind offer (realising it wasn't actually made to me!) - my family details are on Reunion 9, on my Mac. I tried to send it to my cousin via GEDCOM - he's got a pc and uses Genes Reunited, but he said it hadn't worked. Is it worth trying again, or is this an impossible transfer? I hope this helps somebody else and I'm not wasting your time.

pompa Wed 02-Sep-15 08:38:20

You can do what you want to do. Reunion9 has the option to EXPORT a gedcom file and Genes Re-united can IMPORT a gedcom file, so it should work fine.
Personally I would Export the gedcom file from Reunion9, copy it to a shared cloud drive such as Dropbox. Share the dropbox file to your friend so that she can copy it to her local hard drive. I would then use Legacy (it's free) and IMPORT the gedcom file into it. Legacy will enable her to examine the details of your tree much more easily that genes Reunited.

The important bits of this are :-

EXPORT the data to a gedcom file
get the file to your friend someway
IMPORT the gedcom file into her software (preferably Legacy)

She can the move the data from Legacy to Genes Re-United in the same way it required.

Hope this helps.

pompa Wed 02-Sep-15 08:40:28

Sorry, said she for you cousin rather than he

Anniebach Wed 02-Sep-15 09:34:27

pompa, I now have Legacy , have transported gedcom and am very pleased with it, still have to explore but so far really pleaded, thank you

pompa Wed 02-Sep-15 11:51:50

Great, hope you like Legacy, we think it is a great product, especially at the price. We have used it for at last 10 years and have not explored all its functions and reports.
One last piece of advice, back up your data regularly to a place away from your PC, external hard drive, cloud drive (plenty of free cloud drive options availabl such a Dropbox. You will end up with hundreds of hours work invested in your data, you do not want to lose it when your hard drive fails.

Anniebach Wed 02-Sep-15 12:35:51

Thsnk you pompa, I will

pompa Wed 02-Sep-15 18:35:54

Daisy, I have PM'd you.

mrsmopp Thu 29-Oct-15 10:38:12

I gave up on Ancestry when it expired and switched to Find My Past. I have been busy finding new people to add, as it also has hints.
I am in a panic now because I opened FMP and my tree has disappeared completely. I got a pop up saying connection problem, please try again, so I did, and the website treats me like a newbie, telling me to register and import a ged com. No option for logging in. Eek! What on earth has happened? I shall be livid if I have lost all the work I have done. You can't ring these people up, can you? Please someone tell me all is not lost!
I couldn't sleep last night because I was upset.