Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Anyone remember ringlets created with rags!

(60 Posts)
Linsco56 Sat 21-May-16 15:34:39

I was blow-drying my hair this morning and what came into my mind was my grandmother sitting me between her knees and wrapping my hair into rags to create ringlets (I had no say in the matter). I went to bed with these rags in my hair and come the morning I had a head full of these hideous ringlets. I think my grandmother had a fascination with Shirley Temple. My mother used to have a fit and wash them out as soon as we returned home...this was 1960 not Victorian times!

JackyB Sun 22-May-16 10:57:42

My youngest went through a phase of wearing his hair in dreadlocks for a while after he left school. My mother could never remember the word for them and called them "ringlets".

I always had short hair but my sister was allowed to grow hers because she did ballet and she occasionally had it in ringlets, but I have no idea how it was done. Possibly with rollers?

I can quite understand the urge to put one's finger into the little tube of hair which is basically what ringlets are.

mrsmopp Sun 22-May-16 12:56:37

My hair curls naturally so I had ringlets till secondary school when my hair was cut short because we had swimming lessons and I couldn't fit a bathing cap on over my long hair. Later in the 70s when curly perms were all the rage friends of mine would wrap their wet hair round pipe cleaners to get the tight curly effect.
Can you still buy pipe cleaners I wonder?

henetha Sun 22-May-16 15:14:41

Oh my goodness, what a half forgotten memory came flooding back when I read this thread. My grandmother insisted on putting the rags in very tightly and they hurt like hell, and then what a stupid sight I looked the next morning !
I soon graduated to pig-tails (plaits) instead.

Galen Sun 22-May-16 16:02:35

I grew my hair as I wanted to look like the children's to star called Jennifer.
Anyone remember Jennifer and the flower fairies?

whitewave Sun 22-May-16 16:11:45

Yes!!!!!! You are the first one that I have come across that does. I remember all the costumes.

whitewave Sun 22-May-16 16:12:58

I wasn't allowed to grow my hair long. My mother always had my hair permed! I hated it.

dustyangel Sun 22-May-16 16:16:13

I longed for big fat sausage ringlets like the little girl down the road. Her's were blonde too which was another thing to envy. My hair was small mousy plaits.
My mother said she didn't know how to do it but eventually gave in to nagging enough to ask the Mum down the road. It seemed to take ages to do. The next morning I had pathetic little mousy ringlets. I can still remember the disappointment.

Linsco56 Sun 22-May-16 16:16:33

Certainly do Galen she had a very BBC accent! I also remember The Woodentops, Muffin the Mule and Andy Pandy. Children' Hour and Watch with Mother I'm not going to admit to Listen with Mother! grin

carerof123 Sun 22-May-16 17:01:49

I can remember having my hair cut for the first time at the hairdressers and my mum asking for a 'razor cut and pin curl'.

I hated it, as prior to that i had always had my hair done up in pigtails for school and loose at the weekends. When it was short it never looked right and stuck out all over the place.

Never had rags though that was the previous generation i believe, my haircut was done in the late 50's early 60's.

My brother use to have 'short back and sides with not too much off the top!!!
He hated having his hair cut and would be moody for days after!!!

Stansgran Sun 22-May-16 20:40:50

Fat sausage curls from pipe cleaners. I hated them.

whitewave Sun 22-May-16 20:58:18

I had a book "Jennifer and the flower fairies" I remember the bluebell fairy.

BBbevan Tue 24-May-16 05:31:55

I still have my Flower Fairies books. I love all the illustrations. My GDs love them too.

PRINTMISS Tue 24-May-16 07:26:05

When I was young my next door neighbour friend had beautiful sort of "golden ginger" hair, and her gran always did it in long ringlets, which actually danced and gleamed in the sun - wonder what happened to her? My hair was always straight, did try rag wrapping at one time, and I also did it for my daughter just the once, because the result was a mass of tight tangles that she's always remembered with agony.

pollyperkins Tue 24-May-16 13:19:05

I had all the flower fairy books and still do, and my granddaughter loves them too. But I don't remember Jennifer and the flower fairies on TV - was that a different set of flower fairies?

pollyperkins Tue 24-May-16 13:22:36

My friend Gwen at primary school always had ringlets - I thought they were a bit fussy. I alternated between straight hair with a middle parting and ribbons each side, and fat plaits , sometimes looped up on them selves. . I had thick straight hair (still do.). When in my teens and 20s in the 1960s I grew it long but it tended to bush out. I find it much more manageable short these days!

Luckylegs9 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:44:58

My grandmother did them for me, then took me round her local shops to be admired. She even curled my hair with a hot poker put in the fire, then quickly cleaned in newspaper, I didn't like that, thought she was going to slip and burn my head, but she never did. She was the most undemonstrative of women, she had a hard life, but for some reason she took to me and she talked to me as if I was grown up.

LullyDully Sun 05-Jun-16 09:14:44

My mother really wanted a curly haired daughter and used to put my hair in pipe cleaners. It used to bend the hair as I remember.
Lovely of course to have dead straight hair once the 60s came. My curly haired pal used to iron hers.

LullyDully Sun 05-Jun-16 09:15:37

Remember a ringletted friend getting them soaked in custard in the first year.

thatbags Sun 05-Jun-16 09:30:31

Apologies if someone has mentioned this already (I haven't read the whole thread). The current method is to use folded wet wipes instead of rags. Minibags tried it on some of her hair—very effective.

Faye Sun 05-Jun-16 09:37:18

My mother also used rags for ringlets for my older sisters and me, only for going out though. For my DD's wedding we tried to do ringlets for my GDs who were flower girls, thinking we could pull them out and have a mass of curls instead of ringlets. They were too tight and it was very hard getting the rags out. GDs ended up with tight ringlets that we couldnt do much with. ?

In the sixties I was ironing my long blonde hair too Tanith though once I singed one side which made It go wavy half way down, not the desired dead straight look I wanted. I had to do the same thing with the other side of my hair so it matched. hmm

grands Tue 19-Jul-16 03:59:17

Reply to Linsco56

Yes I remember ringlets, and after 1960. A friend used to have her hair styled that way by her mother. The girl had blonde hair. As you say maybe Shirley Temple was the star whom had once caused the style to become popular. Though my friend had long hair, and went to dancing classes. Maybe her parents were hoping she would be selected by a talent scout :- similar to what happened to Shirley Temple.

She became an office worker.

Katek Tue 19-Jul-16 09:25:44

I escaped the rags but had to suffer rows of metal clips with jaggy teeth to give me wavy hair. The resultant waves were as stiff as a brush as my mother also used a liberal application of Amami (remember that? ) setting lotion. Hated them-always envied my brother who looked like a small cherub with clouds of blonde curls.

Jalima Tue 19-Jul-16 15:00:19

I had the ringlets made from rags (torn up strips of old sheet) wrapped round damp hair (the early 1950s).

Mine were like Gagagran's - tied in two bunches with ribbons after a night of suffering trying to sleep with the rags in.
The effect was quite nice for parties, but not for every day.
My hair was more curly in those days, it's still wavy but unruly and no, I am not going to bed in rags again!

Christinefrance Tue 19-Jul-16 15:21:43

I remember the rags too, my hair is fine and straight so the rag curls only lasted a short while. It was so uncomfortable to sleep in them. I remember amami, the ad went - Friday night is amami night.

TriciaF Tue 19-Jul-16 17:57:02

I had to have all my hair cut off when in primary school as I kept getting nits. Later, when it grew long enough, plaits, then had it cut really short again.
I think my Mum ever got over the shame of the nits. She was a "nit nurse" in the secondary school.
I do remember those rag ringlets though.