Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Rootsmagic

(5 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 04-Jul-17 10:15:37

Help please. I am rsther confused - doesn't take much !

I do not like Ancestry Tree Maker , subscribe to Ancestry and Find My Past.

I read a recommendation for Roots Magic , googled it and they say they now work with Ancestry .

Reading this thread and finding Elegran uses Roots it must be a good , where do I start with Roots please?

Elegran Mon 21-Nov-16 18:53:58

You also get "Rootsmagic to go" with it which is a copy of the programme that you can put onto a memory stick and take with you to a family history centre where you can plug the memory stick into their computer and save info directly to it. When you get back home you synchronise it with your own computer and the more recent info is added in.

I have only used this once but it saved a lot of typing stuff after I got home. It could also be useful for taking with you on visits to relations and showing them what you have discovered (plus adding in all the extra info and corrections that they always produce)

Elegran Mon 21-Nov-16 18:48:38

I use Rootsmagic. It is a very good way of recording what you have found out, organising it and printing it out in all kinds of ways and it is easy to use.
It has quick links to various information sources and searches them for you, (Ancestry is one of them) but you still have to have a subscription to them to use them.

Grannyben Mon 21-Nov-16 18:13:28

I've never heard of it but I will certainly be having a look now. Thank you

mrsmopp Mon 31-Oct-16 21:02:43

I would like to hear from anyone building their tree with Rootsmagic. I have tried a couple of the others including Ancestry but there were pros and cons with each.
A friend swears by rootsmagic saying it works very well and not as pricey as some of the others.
I'm just looking for a good reliable progtamme I can stick with, instead of chopping and changing with bits all over the place. I'm annoyed that there is info on Ancestry which I can no longer access now my sub has expired.
Is Rootsmagic the answer?