Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

DNA

(38 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 02-Dec-16 00:45:32

Some family history sites have been emailing me offering DNA testing. I have been doing my family tree for some time now.
I would be interested to know if anyone has had a DNA test and what you learned from the results?

Synonymous Fri 02-Dec-16 00:51:45

This does not seem to have attracted many takers. We have noticed the ever decreasing offer price for this, it has halved already. Who do you know that has had their DNA profile done - without being arrested first! grin

Lillie Fri 02-Dec-16 07:31:52

I've thought this might make a good Christmas present for our DS who is a scientist, albeit in a totally different field. However, I'm not sure the results are that individually specific to be of any great interest?

BlueBelle Fri 02-Dec-16 07:35:31

My cousin did it for family tree and I. don't have much contact so can't tell you too much but he just said his DNA showed Scandinavian and Dutch links
I d like to do it I ll wait perhaps the price will come down more

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 07:55:30

I've bought one for myself and DH as a Christmas present. We duly spat in the plastic tubes and sent it off. The results will be a couple of months.

We did get it half price but I note on the website it's now shot up to almost full price again so glad I took the offer.

Jane10 Fri 02-Dec-16 09:12:43

Interesting Anya. Please come back and tell us the results.

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 10:10:57

I will.

Pittcity Fri 02-Dec-16 14:51:54

My Mum has had it done. It narrowed her origins down to European and has thrown up a list of several hundred people who have also been tested and could be her 4th cousin or more removed. Not very helpful.
I think that the idea is that the more people that are tested the more complete the picture can be.

annodomini Fri 02-Dec-16 15:23:11

I understand that these DNA tests only deal with mitochondrial DNA, that is, the maternal side of one's ancestry. How would I learn about my ancestry on my father's side.

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 20:24:30

The one I use looks at the entire genome Anno.

However, because as a woman your configuration is XX even looking at your whole genome wouldn't give information about that carried on the Y chromosome in your family. They only way to do that is to have a brother, or father's DNA tested.

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 20:26:22

Even a man just having his mitochondrial DNA tested would only have information from his maternal ancestors.

Welshwife Fri 02-Dec-16 21:20:59

What an interesting thread.
Would you mind your DNA being on a national database? We have sometimes talked about that - if everyone was done at birth routinely.
If you ask to have your DNA done are the results kept on a database?

BoadiceaJones Tue 13-Dec-16 05:10:30

I had mine done, and found it fascinating. 86% UK, 10% Irish, 3% Iberian, and traces of Scandinavian and Western Europe. Mr Jones was only 60% UK, some Irish, 16% Scandinavian, and surprise - quite a big chunk of Western Asia/Greece. He identifies as Welsh. I'm going to get the kit for my very elderly mother - the disappearing generation - for my children's and grandchildren's future reference.

Jane10 Tue 13-Dec-16 06:10:19

Interesting Boadicea. All that and your DH sees himself as Welsh! His family history would be interesting to track perhaps. Genealogy next?

BoadiceaJones Tue 13-Dec-16 07:45:39

Yes, Jane - that would be really interesting, though of course, the Asian/Greek connection could well be thousands of years old. I assume that my Iberian genes have something to do with early migration - maybe the Beaker People? MrJ is convinced that he had ancestors who came with the Roman legions to Britain!

hildajenniJ Tue 13-Dec-16 08:42:08

I don't need a DNA test to know that I have Viking blood. The GP told me when I went about strange lumps in my hands.

annodomini Tue 13-Dec-16 09:24:49

I would like to have the DNA test, but I know it's mitochondrial DNA - the mother's side of the family and I feel that my dad's lineage might be more interesting. Is there any way I can get that?

Oldgreymare Tue 13-Dec-16 10:00:23

A friend had this done and was miffed! Her results showed 90% European and 10% East Asian. She was intrigued by the latter and sought to follow it up, the company wanted MORE money to do this.

Elegran Tue 13-Dec-16 11:21:05

There is a website that reviews a lot of DNA testing services at dnatestingchoice.com/ Some of them give you more than others!

Elegran Tue 13-Dec-16 11:25:28

anno Do you still have your dad to get his DNA tested? Or a brother or uncle? This thread had made me think about getting my brother a kit for Christmas. Unfortunately I have bought his present, and these are another £120! for the one at the top of the review list. The tests do his mitochondrial and somatic as well, which will be same as mine - two birds with one stone.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 14:38:21

Anno did you not read my post?

mrsmopp Fri 16-Dec-16 09:15:05

Hilda,, DH also has Dupitrons contracture from the Vikings. (They had a settlement near Liverpool). He had surgery but it didn't help at all, so if they offer you an op, ask what the success rate is.
Blinking Vikings - that gene still around after all these years.

daphnedill Wed 01-Feb-17 15:51:01

mrsmopp Your DH might be interested in this book (or any of the other articles on the site about the project)

www.nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/survey.htm

It won't help with his Dupuytren's contracture (unfortunately), but it might tell him something about his ancestors, especially if he's from the Wirral.

A couple of years ago, the team found somebody with a Viking name, whose DNA tests showed he was indeed descended from one of the original Vikings who settled.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Feb-17 19:18:54

Ok yes! I will own up to doing one but have not yet had the results.

Anya I used the Ancestry all sides one.

I was interested to see if I could find any information about the ancestry of my unknown PGF which I think may not be recently European.

I have some relatively recent Irish ancestors. Everyone else seems deeply rooted in England. That distinction may not appear on DNA.
I will keep you posted.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Feb-17 19:20:52

My father in law had Scottish ancestry and Dupuytren's contracture.