Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Were you born in Britain ?

(15 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 16-Jan-18 09:59:51

Thinking about the film the Darkest Hour I wondered how it would effect those of us who are not British born . I am too young to remember the war but had a close relation who was a prisoner of war for 5 years . He did not let this experience cloud the rest of his life but he must have had bad memories . My parents spoke about their wartime experience and my mother's cousin died a horrid death on the Burmah railway .This time was often referred to in my childhood and I am adament that remberance day should continue .
My DDIL is not British and I have been taken aback when her relations talk about " during the war " . I think that they are too young to remember then realise it is thier countrie's war not WW2 they are referring to .
Anyone with views on this subject ?

vampirequeen Tue 16-Jan-18 12:41:46

I'm confused as to what you're asking.

ninathenana Tue 16-Jan-18 13:05:44

Yes I was born in Britain. Kent England to be precise.

My views on the subject ??
I'm glad, there are a lot worse places to be born.

Chewbacca Tue 16-Jan-18 14:35:26

I'm not sure what you're asking? confused

Bathsheba Tue 16-Jan-18 14:42:05

Yes I am British born. I'm afraid I don't really understand which 'subject' you want views on, however confused

felice Tue 16-Jan-18 14:49:57

I think I know what you mean, here in Belguim we are very close all the time to the memories of WW1 and WW11.
When DD started secondary school and did History I complained to the Headteacher that the non European History teacher was insisting that WW11 started in 1941.
She was quite rude to me when I tried to correct her. The headteacher was also shocked and another teacher took over the class, so I think I know where you are coming from.
I suppose each country teaches it's own version of History.

Greyduster Tue 16-Jan-18 15:09:02

I remember going, in the early seventies, to the visitor centre attached to the Waterloo battlefield and finding out that, according to their version of events, the British hardly got a look in. There must have been two battles going on somewhere!

GrandmaMoira Tue 16-Jan-18 15:29:39

Like most of us born in the post war years and through the 50s, I grew up with the older generation talking about the war. In the 80s I worked with a lot of elderly people who mostly talked about the war. Whilst my DC and DGC know the key facts about WW11 I don't think they can have the same emotional attachment as those born in the shadow of it.

Fennel Tue 16-Jan-18 15:46:26

As I was born in 1936 I have many memories of the years of WW2.
Floradora - I wonder where your daughter in law comes from? WW2 involved such a huge number of countries, from E to W, and N to S of the globe. Many of the others had a much harder time than we did.

Teetime Tue 16-Jan-18 17:35:07

We went to South Africa and the white South African guide told us all about how dreadful the Zulu's were for wanting their own land!

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Jan-18 17:43:14

Is your DDIL from the former Yugoslavia Floradora?

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 20:50:07

I was born in Singapore . British Military Hospital . That's where my DF was stationed at the time.

paddyann Tue 16-Jan-18 21:27:28

My relatives never spoke about WW11 I had 5 uncles and my Dad who were involved , one who didn't come home,one who was in a prisoner of war camp and lost a leg ( he said he was treated exceptionally well by the German staff there ,though I heard that 2nd hand from my mother when I was an adult .Three uncles who came back with other disabilities and my lovely Dad who always had what would now be called PTSD ,but was called "nerves" .My uncles were in North Africa,Italy and France my Dad was in the Navy .

SueDonim Wed 17-Jan-18 00:48:32

I was born (in the U.K.) in the 50's and no one spoke about the war. As far as I was concerned, it might just as well have happened in the 1840's not the 1940's, it seemed so far in the past.

JackyB Wed 17-Jan-18 07:29:06

I was born and raised in Britain and my parents were both involved in the war. I have lived in Germany since the 70s and most of my contemporaries here don't have much idea, especially of the first World War. (For example, driving home from the UK through Belgium in 2014, I was keen to see Ypres. My husband had no idea what it was.)

I'm not sure what the question is. But we can't expect the Second World War to have exclusive rights to the expression "The War" any more. So many other wars have raged since, and are all important to the people who lived through them. Similarly, we have no reason or right to be surprised when youngsters, on hearing the expression "between the wars", ask "which wars?".

Closest to me (geographically) are the Yugoslavian events, which especially bring home the fact that we were very, very lucky not to have had a violent revolution in 1989.

That was probably due to the fact that Tito was still alive and keeping Yugoslavia together and under this thumb, while Germany and the rest of Central Europe had been getting on with it since the war. Even Russia had toned things down by then.