Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Scary!

(59 Posts)
mollie Sat 27-Jan-18 11:47:39

I opened my family tree software yesterday and found ... nothing! Just an empty programme as though it had just been installed. My four trees and 1300+ people had disappeared shock.

Enter OH who solved the problem. Phew! But it took a while before my knees stopped feeling weak. I began digging about in the family history in 1985 when everything involved good old fashioned paper records so I’ve gathered a fair archive. In recent years I’ve put lots on the computer and new information comes directly via the internet so is saved that way. But I still print out some records and keep paper files just in case. So I’m keeping the digital stuff just in case I lose the paper files and holding on to my paper stuff in case the digital records disappear in to the ether. I thought computers and the internet was supposed to make life easier?

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 13:45:45

There’s a free online course starting on FutureLearn soon that explains the basics (sorry, haven’t got a link but google...)

Isn’t it funny how people read a thread then sneer...why not just ignore it?

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 13:48:02

Some U3As have a family history group - it could be a good way to get started without spending what could be a lot of money on subscribing to an online site Tessa.

There are some records which are free online which is how I got started. I think some of the censuses and some bmd records are free.
www.freecen.org.uk/ I haven't used that link myself but it could be useful

I think some of the records on FindmyPast and Ancestry are free to access, such as the 1881 census.

If you know the names of your grandparents and whereabouts they lived then start there.

cavewoman Mon 29-Jan-18 13:50:42

Today is tomorrows yesterday. We cant explore the future but can learn an awful lot from the past.

codfather Mon 29-Jan-18 15:25:18

I appear on a family tree as deceased before my children were born! wink

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 15:53:57

That’s a clever trick!

NotTooOld Mon 29-Jan-18 16:59:06

Re passing on info from your family tree, a few years ago I produced a book for my children and for their cousins. I included sections of the tree, 'memoirs' written by relatives of previous generations, interesting entries from the diaries of my grandfather, postcards sent from one relative to another in the last century, ancient photographs, stories I have heard over the years and so on. I loved putting it all together and when I'd printed it all out off my lap top I took it to a local printer who produced seven spiral bound copies for me which I gave as gifts the following Christmas. I think this cost about £70. I called the book 'Leaves from the Family Tree, It was well received and I now feel I have done my bit in passing on the knowledge I have gained over many years of family research. I'm now planning the next book which will be about my father as I have a diary of his for nearly every year of his life - and he was a very interesting character.

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Jan-18 17:18:26

I started in 1995 when there was not much info available on the internet. I was visting Chester and Leicestershire record offices a lot.
The cost of that sort of transport was quite signifcant. A proper subscription is probably well worth it .

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 17:20:11

That’s a nice idea. Glad it was well received. I’d love one of those, hopefully containing all the answers to my many questions. Good luck with your father’s story. Bet that will be a hit too!