Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

So excited

(44 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 09:25:14

Will have a telephone call today which will result in someome being united with uncles, aunts and cousins the person didn’t know existed a few months ago. ?

Anniebach Tue 14-Aug-18 14:37:31

Willow, he will phone me this evening, they are staying in a hotel overnight back home tomorrow. They have never met , I just want them to like each other, I have given him their fathers family tree for his sister, she knows nothing of their father either. I found that the father and his family were in Derry on Bloody Sunday, this may help them understand he was a damaged man and they will think kindly of him .

It’s so emotional

Willow500 Tue 14-Aug-18 12:09:17

What wonderful news Annie - I hope the meeting goes well and it becomes a regular occurrence - also that you are credited with reuniting them after so long.

Anniebach Tue 14-Aug-18 11:52:31

His wife is texting me - only 24 miles away now. How kind to tell me. My ulcer is doing cartwheels ?, I so want it to be right for him, he is the son I never had, I love him so much.

mcem Tue 14-Aug-18 11:41:18

How lovely to be the fairy godmother and bring this about!
More power to your magic wand ( and the love, dedication and hard work you put in!)

Anniebach Tue 14-Aug-18 11:33:33

Update

After exchanging emails and messages for some time, the brother and sister are meeting today for the very first time, my tummy is churning.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:44:48

Lovely and extremely satisfying for you too Anniebach!

Anniebach Wed 09-May-18 19:13:53

Thank you Bathsheba , it was a labour of love , in just several months this very special person now has a half sister, uncles and an aunt, cousins , the sad part was finding his father had died alone, estranged from his family , even his siblings didn’t know he had died, they assured me it was in a way a relief to know he was at rest and they are thrilled to welcome their brother’s son to their family. They will tell their newly found nephew about his father’s childhood and early adulthood , it has given this special person roots. I found his grandparents burial place and he went there last weekend, he was thrilled to know he had been given his paternal grandfathers name .

Bathsheba Wed 09-May-18 18:34:23

I've come late to this thread. What a lovely thing to happen Annie. Well done you for facilitating this reunion, it must have been so emotional - and so very satisfying - to know that you've been instrumental in bringing people together who would otherwise never have known each other. A truly heartwarming story smile

seasider Wed 09-May-18 07:25:16

My brother (different father ) has recently found out who his father was and that he has two living siblings. He has contacted his brother who sadly wants no further contact and has asked my brother not to contact him or his family again. However he has provided a photo and some details about their father.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-May-18 23:13:27

born in 1834, I can assume he died ?
Well, I did wonder about that relative of DH, wondering if he might turn up age 145

SueDonim Tue 08-May-18 21:53:19

I found a half-cousin about five years ago. We all thought my father was an only child but in fact he was one of four, all of whom died quite young. I discovered that his half-brother had had a daughter and although I never met her, as she was very elderly and had dementia and has since died, I've met her daughter, who is about my age.

We spent a lovely afternoon together, swapping photos and stories. She had also found the location of our shared grandmother's grave and we went together to see it.

Unfortunately we live at opposite ends of the country so haven't met again but we swap news and are friends on FB, too.

It's a lovely feeling. smile

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 20:15:37

Imagine going through life knowing your parents fought a custody battle for you age four , mother wins , father never seen again .

Now I must return to looking for g g g uncle William, have neglected him, born in 1834, I can assume he died ?

Jalima1108 Tue 08-May-18 20:05:21

It's wonderful to have a breakthrough - but even more wonderful when it reunites someone with family!
smile

Willow500 Tue 08-May-18 19:20:38

What a lovely thing to happen Annie! A couple of years ago while researching his family tree my husband stumbled on someone in mine - a cousin I didn't know existed. We haven't met yet but have swapped photos and talk on FB. It's great to find family and learn about history you didn't know.

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 18:57:55

I have just received another phone call from the Aunt welcoming her newly found nephew to the family , so pleased , how nice to learn of other successes from tracing families, we need roots

luluaugust Tue 08-May-18 18:16:32

Pleased all went well.

Craicon Tue 08-May-18 17:52:28

That’s so lovely. Well done on all your hard work.

A good friend of mine who knew she’d been adopted as a baby decided to trace her birth mother. After a lot of digging she discovered that mum sadly died only a couple of years earlier. However, the person who registered the death turned out to be her half brother.
After lots of emails and video calls, the two families met and have become great friends. The half brother had been an only child and although married, he had no children of his own so he was delighted to meet his big (older) sister, her children and grandchildren. He’s now as much a part of my friend’s family as if they’d grown up together, regularly going on holidays together etc.

Sararose Tue 08-May-18 17:43:32

About 4 years ago my sisters and i were contacted by a long lost cousin who lives in Australia. She came to England with her daughter and we had a wonderful family reunion meeting up with a number of distant cousins some of whom we had been vaguely aware of. What is particularly wonderful is that 2 of my nephews have moved to Australia and one is marrying an Australian girl who he met while staying with our cousin. We are iall n touch on facebook and my sister will be flying out in the summer.

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 17:05:06

Thank you, it is he who deserves it, a chance for me to give something back to someone who has given me so much for 33 years ?

patriciageegee Tue 08-May-18 15:54:50

Best wishes to you anniebach hope it all goes well you deserve it ?

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 15:47:28

I receive email from one of cousins of the person I was doing the research for, he said he welcomed his newly found cousin and would contact all the cousins . I still haven’t given either side direct contact though , being rather protective ?

hulahoop Tue 08-May-18 14:57:44

How exciting Annie hope all goes well ?

Overthehills Tue 08-May-18 13:09:45

So glad the phone call went well Annie.

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 13:08:02

Sue, ?, yes it is he.

SueDonim Tue 08-May-18 13:03:36

Well done, Annie! I recall your earlier thread. :smile: