Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

1969 moon landing.

(78 Posts)
shysal Tue 16-Jul-19 18:30:39

Can you remember where you were on this day, exactly 50 years ago?
I was holidaying on a farm on Anglesey.

JessK Tue 16-Jul-19 21:17:54

I was at college in 1969. I can remember the launch and staying up to watch the landing.

FarNorth Tue 16-Jul-19 21:19:21

I was 17 and in bed.
Sometime, very late, I heard my Mum telling my brother (15) to go to bed and she didn't care about men on the moon.
He was protesting that it was important as history was being made.
I don't know if he ended up seeing it all, or not.
(must ask).

FarNorth Tue 16-Jul-19 21:21:04

nonnasusie there are still people who believe that.

varian Tue 16-Jul-19 21:23:44

I was in the senior common room of the university where I had recently been promoted from junior research associate
(and member of the middle common room) to senior research associate (and member of the senior common room).

I don't think there was a tv set in the middle common room but the senior common room had a small black and white set in the corner of the large room where we all crowded round to watch Neil Armstrong climb down the ladder and make that "one small step for a man - a giant leap for mankind." I will never forget it.

Anniebach Tue 16-Jul-19 21:25:22

Wasn’t interested

Lins1066 Tue 16-Jul-19 21:26:13

I was 14 and the only one of my family to stay up watching it on TV. I was so tired and fell asleep in the early hours but woke up to see the very grainy pictures on the TV, I think it was around 4am by then. I remember David Frost doing some commentary but don't know who was with him. I visited Cape Canaveral ( now Cape Kennedy)in 1993 with my husband and 2 children.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jul-19 21:43:53

I wasn't interested either Annie.

Blinko Tue 16-Jul-19 21:48:38

We were on honeymoon in Fordingbridge. The evening of the landing, DH and I were walking out hand in hand gazing in some wonder at the moon on which we knew that mankind was about to set foot.

When we returned to our guest house, all the guests were in the tv lounge watching. No tvs in rooms then. We joined them and everyone stayed up to marvel at the event.

Memories indeed!

M0nica Tue 16-Jul-19 22:04:13

Like Callistemon we had just moved into our first house a It was a new house and we still had workmen coming in to it to finish work on it (This was before the NHBRC and all the guarantees and checks new houses get now).

We had been at work all day getting settled into the house, unpacking, sorting and a bit of decorating. I seem to remember the launch was delayed, we stayed up until about midnight or a bit earlier, but in the end we were so tired we went to bed and slept through it all.

ginny Tue 16-Jul-19 22:27:49

I was just 15. I started watching but got fed up and went to bed before they landed.
I really can’t remember anyone talking about it.

fiorentina51 Tue 16-Jul-19 23:09:45

I wasn't interested I'm afraid. Went to bed as I was at work the next morning.

JackyB Wed 17-Jul-19 09:13:43

This sort of thing always fascinated me. I clearly remember seeing it on the old black and white telly but I'm not sure if I saw it live or later on the news. I was 14. What time of day in the UK did it actually happen?

I do remember the first worldwide broadcast with the Beatles singing "All you Need is Love". Apparently that was on 25 June 1967.

Singlegrannie Wed 17-Jul-19 09:23:24

I was 19 and at university but still living at home with my parents. I settled on the sofa to watch and my parents went to bed, but after a while my dad came down and watched it with me. I remember him saying that although he has previously thought that men would visit the moon, he had never considered that he would be able to watch it happening. We both stayed up and watched the whole thing, and it is one of my favourite memories of my father.

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Jul-19 09:27:53

It’s like when you heard of Kennedy’s assassination isn’t it?
I was a student in Neuchâtel in Switzerland and Paw had hitch hiked out from London to visit me. We had gone to Geneva to visit another student friend and saw it on a TV set in a TV shop window.
Was that really 50 years ago?

Willow500 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:59:00

I was 15 and my dad came and woke me up to come down and watch it - I think it was about 2 or 3 am. Don't remember my mum being there but I doubt she'd have been interested so was probably in bed. We were fascinated.

My husband was convinced he'd watched it in training school at the place he worked but is now thinking it may have been the launch or a recording the next day.

mcem Wed 17-Jul-19 10:38:47

Uni term had just ended and a friend and I were visiting her family. I didn't see the landing live but we did watch it on their tv.
Subsequently that friend married and divorced, as I did.
By then we'd almost lost touch. Years later my ex-h and my friend bumped into each other.
They are now married and we're all good friends!
I'll always associate her with the moon landing!

Grandma70s Wed 17-Jul-19 11:21:52

I’ve just remembered that my cleaning lady at the time was amazed that moon was big enough to walk on. She thought it was the size of a shilling! That’s about the size of a ten pence piece to you youngsters.

paddyann Wed 17-Jul-19 11:24:55

Lin Cape Canaveral was changed back to its original name in the early 2000's .I only know this because my son did a school project about it and he was the only one in his class to get it right ,the rest called it Cape Kennedy.

I had just elft school against my mothers wishes and was on the hunt for a job before the end of the summer holidays ..or else I'd to go back to school .I was 15 .I didn't go back ,still working in the same industry now.We all stayed up to watch it on TV and like many we were very sceptical about it being true ..Dad in particular thought there shouldn't be shadows on the moon from the flag .I dont think I ever heard why there were ?

goldengirl Wed 17-Jul-19 12:45:14

I was in America and you can imagine how excited people were. The family I was with put the flag out! I don't think we got much sleep that night. I was in my late teens.

Minniemoo Wed 17-Jul-19 12:49:02

I was 8. I took one look and told my parents they weren't really on the moon. Didn't go down very well and they never forgot. Reminded me of it throughout my adult life!

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 17:33:40

I was in school

Stansgran Thu 18-Jul-19 17:42:22

I was getting married.wasnt that interested grin Golden wedding. Still can't believe we've made it this far.

Happiyogi Thu 18-Jul-19 17:50:22

I was in my mid teens and walking home from a youth club event with a group of friends, through a local beauty spot. An older boy who I'd fancied from afar was clearly interested, which was very thrilling. He said he was going to London for a couple of weeks, but would I see him when he got back. I watched the moon landing with my dad, in a state of high teenage excitement which he probably thought was entirely due to the sight of history being made on our small black and white television!

The boy sent a postcard from London, but we never actually saw each other again. I occasionally wonder what happened!

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Jul-19 19:07:07

I saw it but it just went on forever.... It was so v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w.... and not very clear. I was waiting for ages it seemed.

OPgrndtr Fri 19-Jul-19 23:44:13

Here in the United States we are having several anniversary type shows, and they talk about the other countries that have since landed on the moon. We have all been aware that the moon does not belong to our country, and there is an organization that is trying to think how that will be handled in the future. We are just still proud that our man made the first footprint on the moon.