Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Grandson terrified of me!

(15 Posts)
NewNonna Wed 18-Sep-19 11:15:09

I childmind my 15 month old grandson for 2 days a week. In the early days his parents dropped him off to me and collected him. Then he began sobbing and clinging to his parents. Now I go to collect him and they put him in my car seat; he’s fine with this. I often see him in between times and he runs from me and is terrified. Has anyone had this and how did you handle it? BTW he is perfectly happy while he is with me

Septimia Wed 18-Sep-19 11:28:48

Make a game of it when he runs away - especially if you can make him laugh.

lemongrove Wed 18-Sep-19 11:38:14

Yes, with one of our DGC when she was small, it was simply that she preferred ( naturally) not to be parted from her mother.Afterwards, she was quiet for about ten mins then her usual jolly self.
It happened regularly for about two years! We must ignored the behaviour and didn’t make a fuss and gradually it stopped.

lemongrove Wed 18-Sep-19 11:38:53

Typo....we just ignored the behaviour.

NewNonna Wed 18-Sep-19 22:11:18

Thank you, it’s not just me then! I feel a lot more relaxed about it now x

Doodle Wed 18-Sep-19 23:41:43

It’s a phase don’t worry. My DGD used to scream blue murder every time she saw me. She is now taller than me and gives me big hugs and cuddles ?

gmelon Thu 19-Sep-19 00:34:06

My granddaughter cried and clung to her mother continuously. Screamed blue murder if anyone went near her.
She was around two and a half when it stopped. She then started gleefully shouting "Nanny Nanny Nanny"
every time she saw me. I could hear her coming down the street when she visited because of her joyful shouts of "Nanny"!
She is now four and still just as happy to see me.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Sep-19 03:29:24

Why is this in Genealogy?
All sounds normal to me

Iam64 Thu 19-Sep-19 06:34:16

It’s a developmental stage, they so want their key attachment figure always with them. It’s normal and not personal

Sara65 Thu 19-Sep-19 06:53:24

We never had anything like this with our grandchildren, but my goddaughter for years refused to get out of the car when they visited. She said she didn’t like us, and no amount of coaxing would get her out.

She did of course, eventually grow out of it.

BradfordLass72 Thu 19-Sep-19 07:34:26

Yep, my son was like this with his grandma, my Mum, who used to get quite impatient and cross about it. She wanted a cuddle and he was screaming and climbing up me as if I were a ladder. It wasn't as if she was a stranger, we saw her often as she only lived up the road!

He was very, very clingy for the first year and wouldn't even go to his Dad although if crawling on the floor, he didn't mind Dad joining him to play peek-a-boo games - as long as I was in sight.

He would always go happily to his brother whom he adored.

At about 24 months he suddenly realised the sky wouldn't fall if he strayed a yard or two away from me to go to Dad. smile

Sussexborn Fri 27-Sep-19 15:30:29

My GS howled the place down when he was in his car seat and I turned round to speak to him. Fine once I took my sunglasses off!

Apparently I used to cry when people wore spectacles.

ElaineI Fri 27-Sep-19 22:07:05

It's normal - not you just want Mummy and Daddy at that age. Developmental phase - there is an app called "The Wonder Weeks" which charts different stages till about 18 months and this is one of them.

Niobe Fri 27-Sep-19 23:13:57

You could be me! I mind My 15 month old grandson 2 days a week too and he reacts in exactly the same way. I ignore him for the first five minutes and then he is fine. I think he knows that he will be left with me and it means that mummy will be going away soon. As others have said, it’s just normal development.

absthame Sun 06-Oct-19 15:46:12

My GD has 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls. Up to the age of 2 each one would spend a great deal of time with me, always coming for cuddles. Come about the age of 2 for a period of around 12 months each would be upset at the prospects of cuddling any male and most females. They then grew out of it.

So don't worry. As has been suggested laugh about it and even make it a game.