Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Rosies Plaques.

(4 Posts)
Labaik Tue 26-Nov-19 23:47:33

Came upon this today by accident and wondered if anyone had heard of it? It's a group of women that make blue plaques to put on the homes of women who have achieved good things but haven't been recognised in their local area. There are far more of the official blue plaques about men but far less about women because quite often their deeds have gone unrecognised. They have a facebook page and are also on twitter. I really want to support them. Will try and find a link of some kind....

Chestnut Sun 01-Dec-19 10:42:12

This started in Norwich and there is a crowdfunding page to support anyone who wants to do this in their own town or city.
www.crowdfunder.co.uk/rosies-plaques-on-tour

I know one city where local residents can nominate people for a blue plaque a couple of times a year. One is selected, and whether they are male or female is not a consideration. There are 41 plaques, 8 of which are women and one a heroic WW2 pigeon. Some religious martyrs burnt at the stake have one, as do the last three women to be burnt as witches.

In this instance women are definitely recognised, but in days gone by it was really a man's world and consequently men did manage to achieve more, hence the larger number of plaques.

Labaik Sun 01-Dec-19 18:22:46

Thanks for the link! It's a great initiative isn't it....

Chestnut Sun 01-Dec-19 23:20:48

I think a count needs to be done in the area under consideration to see if there really is a noticeable shortage of female plaques as this might not apply in all areas. And the women need to be genuinely worthy, not picked just because they're women. Level ground in this instance will almost certainly mean more male plaques because of the reason I said above.