Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Ancestry subscription as a gift

(25 Posts)
Grammaretto Wed 11-Dec-19 20:20:56

I want to buy a subscription to Ancestry as a Christmas gift but now don't know whether to get just UK and Ireland or the world. Does anyone have advice? Have they got many world records besides USA and crew and passenger lists to US?
It costs £100 for 6 months and £70 for just UK & Ireland.

Septimia Wed 11-Dec-19 21:03:59

DH gave me UK and Ireland for Christmas and I later renewed the same. Researching all my UK ancestry has taken quite a while, so I haven't regretted not having a world subscription.

However, I do have relatives overseas and will need to research those ancestors. My intention is that, when I feel I've got as far as I can in the UK, I'll upgrade to world.

If the person you intend the gift for has more international than UK ancestors, then I suggest giving the world subscription, otherwise the UK one will keep them busy for ages!

NotTooOld Wed 11-Dec-19 21:09:11

I have the Premium membership but I'd love to upgrade to the World and will do soon. If I was you I'd give the Premier and leave it up to them if they want to upgrade. It sounds like a great present.

Grammaretto Wed 11-Dec-19 21:19:20

Thanks for your advice. I think you are right. Give a premium and leave it to them to upgrade if they want to. It's for DS and DDiL for Christmas. They are showing an interest in their family trees.

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 21:25:51

I have been with Ancestry 17 years, never had cause to search
out of U.K. and Ireland. If any ancestors had wandered then I
would upgrade.

Callistemon Wed 11-Dec-19 22:15:03

£70 for UK and Ireland?

I've just had a subscription renewal notice and it is far more than that.

It could be worthwhile cancelling my subscription and rejoining I think.
If you have a lot of ancestors who went overseas the worldwide subscription could be better (especially at £100).

Grammaretto Wed 11-Dec-19 22:20:56

It's only for 6 months Callistemon

Callistemon Wed 11-Dec-19 22:27:22

Of course I missed that bit Grammaretto blush

I got over-excited when I saw £70!!

Hetty58 Wed 11-Dec-19 22:33:55

Ancestry is fee to use in local libraries here (UK)

Hetty58 Wed 11-Dec-19 22:34:13

(free)

Chestnut Wed 11-Dec-19 23:19:04

It just depends on whether your ancestors are all UK or not, but then you may not know that until you start researching! If you find ancestors in other countries you can always put them on the back burner and then pay for one month and do them all at once. You can do a lot in a month if you work at it.

Bubbe Thu 12-Dec-19 00:43:08

I have a world subscription as my family have been the wandering kind ~ but, the overseas records on ancestry are quite limited. They certainly have more than just USA. I've most recently been digging into the Australian records.

I agree to just go for the most basic subscription for your Christmas gift. But do take care that you're not automatically charged when a renewal is due ~ unless of course, this is something you're happy with.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 05:26:40

I checked that it doesn't automatically renew thanks Bubbe
Our library doesn't have free Ancestry access. I asked. I'm in Scotland.
You have to be a member of a family history society and use their membership.

Curlywhirly Thu 12-Dec-19 07:08:20

Bubbe - do they have any European records?

Anniebach Thu 12-Dec-19 09:02:56

The furthest my ancestors travelled was from Wales to England.

Cabbie21 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:49:17

I have had a UK subscription for a few years and it is still keeping me busy. However I have discovered some German ancestors way back. I may get a month’s World sub to follow them up. I just ignore others who may have emigrated. They are too distant to interest me.
So staring with a UK subscription is the way to go.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 10:20:11

I just ignore others who may have emigrated. They are too distant to interest me.

We have found ancestors who emigrated and their stories are fascinating, as are those of some living cousins. I need to find out more about my not-too distant ancestors who emigrated then returned for some reason.
If only we'd asked our parents if they knew anything.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 11:01:00

I just ignore others who may have emigrated. They are too distant to interest me
I am descended from those emigrees!

I have had my DNA tested which is why the sudden interest from our DC.
It's fascinating but you have to be subscribed get the most out of it. They are not stupid at Ancestry.com. It's an industry all about profits but I hope that someone can make use of the material for medical research.

NotTooOld Thu 12-Dec-19 11:23:23

One set of my great great grandparents were French. A distant relative (I don't know him) contacted me via Ancestry as he is descended from the same pair. He has already discovered that the French people own(ed) an estate in France and he is trying to find out more as he believes 'we' have a claim on it. Needless to say I have heard nothing more but one of these days I will pay the higher subscription and find out for myself if I have a share in Le Chateau! That's a good idea of yours, Cabbie, to get just a month's worth of World Research.

Bubbe Thu 12-Dec-19 13:37:17

Curlywhirly. Have just checked re: Europe records. They list France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.

They also have some ethnic categories for which I use the Jewish one. Some of these records include Eastern Europe ~ but these are largely leading to sad outcomes. Important to know nonetheless.

Curlywhirly Thu 12-Dec-19 13:42:47

Oh thanks for that Bubbe, I have researched my British family extensively, but now need to see my European roots. Will maybe get the worldwide subscription in the New Year.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Dec-19 13:45:13

We did the DNA tests with 23 and me. I found the results fascinating, especially all the health information. There are loads of second, third and fourth cousins etc. worldwide.

At least I'm sure of the accuracy, whereas with genealogy, there is always the chance of being totally unrelated - due to people having been 'assigned the wrong father'.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 13:52:44

Some of the best records are in Scotland and Ancestry have yet to get their hands on them

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

In the past, kind and generous researchers have put quantities of painstakingly gathered records on-line and we can all access these for free.
www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
I think this applies to many passenger lists too.

Newspapers on line is another great resource but I believe those belong to the British Library.

In New Zealand there is an equivalent, for free, called
paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

The latest, I'm told, is a project by Trinity College, Dublin to restore digitally, the Irish records, which were destroyed in the 4 courts fire of 1922, and to have them searchable. No doubt there will be a cost involved.
beyond2022.ie/

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 16:10:29

DH hadn't realised he had Scottish ancestors but someone had done very extensive and meticulous research into that branch of the family back to the 1600s and published it online.

Beware some people's research freely available online as some take a 'leap of faith' which may not always check out.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 16:13:10

Thank you for the links Grammaretto
We both have New Zealand links as well, DH's well researched but mine needs more work.