Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Genealogy research and Corvid 19

(7 Posts)
ayse Wed 18-Mar-20 19:26:28

I’m planning to take out a subscription to Ancestry for 6 months as it will help to pass some of the time. I’m offering, just for fun, to do lookups for anyone who needs some help. If anyone is interested just PM me.

Just a bit about me. I spent hours whilst in Turkey doing my family tree and generally use births, marriages and deaths plus the census’ to find out more.

Well, the offer is out there now.

Bathsheba Wed 18-Mar-20 19:27:32

That's really kind of you ayse. I'm sure many will appreciate your lovely offer smile

Marydoll Wed 18-Mar-20 19:31:29

How kind of you, ayse

I'm reading a very interesting book called . Blood of the Isles, which explores the geneology of the British Isles.
I expected it to be a bit dry, but it isn't.

Grammaretto Wed 18-Mar-20 19:51:14

How generous ayse . I also have a sub so can do lookups too.

Curlywhirly Wed 18-Mar-20 21:07:57

Ah, my favourite hobby! Over the years I have researched my and my friends' families, it's very addictive isn't it? Some family trees have been fascinating: bigamists, illegitimacy, even a couple of suspicious deaths. Happy researching ?

Grammaretto Thu 19-Mar-20 10:26:30

I exposed even more family secrets when I had my DNA tested! You are warned before you take the test but after all these years, it's better to have things out in the open.
Like you Curlywhirly I was an addict for years . I think I am passably "cured" now

Samegrandma Thu 19-Mar-20 10:49:44

I have been doing my family tree for years and I agree Curlywhirly it is very addictive! I inherited a plethora of letters, photographs, newspaper cuttings and more and have discovered many fascinating things about my ancestors but there are still many mysteries to solve and people to identify. I too have done research for friends - it's really satisfying giving people an insight into their past.
It can seem a little expensive initially but it provides hours and hours of entertainment!