Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Buying copies of certificates

(29 Posts)
Airedale19 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:51:30

I had thought that such services might have dried up, but am glad to hear that things are getting back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice given.

jusnoneed Sat 26-Sep-20 10:44:16

You can buy paper copies or they now have downloadable pdf's slightly less cost. Order from the gro.gov.uk website (the cheapest) and not the sites such as Ancestry.
They were taking some time but from what people on FH groups say things are getting back to normal.

Furret Sat 26-Sep-20 10:30:38

You can download copies online of many documents, parish registers, censuses, etc. but not recent ones. I think they have to be over 100 years old. Other than that you do have to send away for copies of the original certificates you mention.

You can find out a great deal without them though. Good hunting.

PS don’t just believe what some people put in their ancestral trees especially if you find a link. Do check. I was about to accept a suggestion that looked extremely likely, but a closer look revealed that this person would have given birth to my great-great-great grandfather when she was 64!

Airedale19 Sat 26-Sep-20 10:05:49

Is it still possible to buy copies of birth, marriage and death certificates these (Covid) days? I’d like to start some research this winter, but I thought I’d be wasting my time if I could not obtain any certificates.