Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Nursing history

(8 Posts)
marymary62 Tue 04-May-21 16:49:32

A question for the hive mind - I’m trying to find out where my Grandmother did her nurse training. Born 1887 . Tantalisingly I have her autograph book with references to ‘City Hospital LB’ m’ 1907 - 1909. I have no idea where this refers to !
Any ideas as to where I might find info ?

tanith Tue 04-May-21 17:07:12

It could be St. Barts they did have a nursing school back in the 19th century.

EllanVannin Tue 04-May-21 17:11:28

"m" for maternity ?

Callistemon Tue 04-May-21 17:14:59

There is a City Hospital in Birmingham, built in 1889.

If she was born in the Midlands area that could be a clue, although members of our family lived in N Wales and went to London (Guy's) to train in the early 1900s so they did leave their own area.

welbeck Tue 04-May-21 17:20:50

if she was a registered nurse, could you look into the history of the rolls.

marymary62 Tue 04-May-21 18:43:57

Thanks all - sorry the random m was a mistake ! She was born Middlesbrough - and subsequently worked in Spennymoor Isolation Hospital (Co Durham) .

M0nica Tue 04-May-21 19:17:12

If she was born in Middlesborough and worked in Co Durham, I would start by looking at towns in the immediate region.

Here is a reference to a City Hospital (now closed) in Newcastle. It too was an infectious diseases hospital, which may be significant given where she later worked. co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/city-hospital-for-infectious-diseases-walker/

Aldom Tue 04-May-21 19:44:49

Not sure if this will help, but it may be worth exploring. Is there any chance your grandmother was in America at the time of her nurse training? I suggest you Google beachcomber.news
Historical look at LB hospitals The Longbeach Public health board was established in the 1890's. They built a number of hospitals, which are referred to as LB Hospitals