Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Swearing in front of Gc.

(113 Posts)
Yammy Sat 16-Oct-21 18:59:22

Do you swear in front of your grandchildren?
I'll admit both DH and I do. Not really bad language but where we come from Blaspheming is still in everyday use and used constantly. So run to hell, or for Christ's sake is common everyday parlance and we don't realise we are doing it. Our family have never objected and the SIL think it is funny. Yet neither of us swore at work
A relation has got into bother for using the same kind of language and was quite upset they did not realise they were doing it and it was repeated by a toddler. Especially after the language that is used today both to other people and even on T.V., it seems pretty mild.
Our grandparents often referred to children as the buggering bairns and we just accepted it.
How would you feel if reprimanded and would you not swear in the first place?

lightallan Tue 19-Oct-21 15:50:13

Why bother with an issue like this.
When they get to school they will probably teach you a few more words.

greenlady102 Tue 19-Oct-21 09:16:10

I do swear but NEVER in front of children and I don't ever blaspheme. I would think that parents of the littlies I know would be abolutely right to ask me to control my languuage in front of their children and I would be embarassed and apologetic if I misspoke in front of a child.
If you didn't use that language at work then you can control it and IMO you should.

Greciangirl Mon 18-Oct-21 22:43:48

Definitely not in front of grandchildren.

Dianehillbilly1957 Mon 18-Oct-21 18:50:37

Never swore in front of my kids until they learnt it in their teens from school mates!! They definitely don't swear in front of their own children thankfully. In a few years they'll be no doubt teaching me unfortunately!!!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 18-Oct-21 17:49:47

We lived over where my ex worked and my son was often around the men working. Bad language was a bit of a problem but I told my son it was against the law to swear until you were 21 and he didn’t. Even he doesn’t swear and no I wouldn’t use bad language with children around.

GreenGran78 Mon 18-Oct-21 17:24:02

I rarely swear. If I do it's never in front of children. If I ever let out the occasional 'b****r in front of my middle-aged daughter she always says, "Mother! Get your rosary beads out!" ?

Dustyhen2010 Mon 18-Oct-21 17:22:52

I don't swear and try not to blaspheme. OH swears a lot as do DCs but not infront of children. I really hate to hear swearing but it is more and more prolific in society. I also correct GC when she used words that are a bit crude. I usually say, you wouldn't say that if having tea with the queen!
DD, a teacher, told me that on the first day of term with a class of 4/5 year olds she went into the staff room at break to report that the first swear word had been said by a child. Another teacher laughed and asked if it was 'bum' but unfortunately it was the 'f' word.

Grandma70s Mon 18-Oct-21 17:07:38

I didn’t know any swear words more serious than ‘bloody’ until I was grown up. Nobody swore at my girls’ school, nobody swore at home, so I simply never learnt the words. When I read Lady Chatterley at the age of twenty or so I learnt a few words which I gathered from the publicity were considered swear words, but they meant nothing to me and didn’t shock me at all.

Polly4t42 Mon 18-Oct-21 17:04:12

I don’t swear so it’s not a problem for me, I remember my Grandma saying Christchurch near Bournemouth when things went wrong as a child i didn’t realise til later she was not blaspheming. If really exasperated I will say phooey or blow.

Kartush Mon 18-Oct-21 16:49:47

It is hard these days as certain words are now almost accepted as part of normal speech. I myself do not use certain words but I admit to the odd bloody hell or bugger.
My nieces vocabulary literally makes my ears curl and yet neither of her children swear because she has taught them not to.
She was telling me about her friends little girl who was about 3 and was sitting in the back of the car saying “ im a good girl hey mam cos I dont say F good girls dont say F only naughty girls say F so im a good girl cos I dont say F.

Fae1 Mon 18-Oct-21 16:49:11

Wouldn't dream of swearing in front of my children or grandchildren. In fact would refrain from ever swearing in any company. If I'm on my own and stub a toe - then.... it's a different story!!

sandelf Mon 18-Oct-21 16:44:30

Depends whether you mind THEM swearing. I'd not do it. Little ones really really do look up to their 'grands' - so they will think swearing is really good if you do it.

Chigleys Mon 18-Oct-21 16:35:24

I have never used swear words nor to my children or grandchildren. I have always explained that I cannot stop them hearing nasty words but I do not want to hear them using them if I don’t.

fushia Mon 18-Oct-21 15:52:12

I hate to hear people swearing front of children, Horrible when in a supermarket or somewhere and you hear parents f...ing and b...ing in front of their children. What chance have they got?
My dear FiL used to say ' where ignorance is predominant, vulgarity invariably asserts itself'.

Bijou Mon 18-Oct-21 15:31:10

I never swear. When I was five we had some workmen in the house and I repeated the F word I heard one of them say and I was so severely reprimanded that I have never forgotten the incident.

kjmpde Mon 18-Oct-21 15:28:41

I accept that I use bloody a few times but when around children I don't swear. I personally hate blasphemy - i feel it is worse than swearing.
maybe it is time to re-educate yourself into new words?
a flying fig? blooming heck? sugar plum fairy? for chrimble's sake?

LuckyFour Mon 18-Oct-21 15:00:36

I very rarely swear and I would never swear in front of children. If you don't want to hear children swear, you shouldn't swear yourself.

CleoPanda Mon 18-Oct-21 14:55:16

We’ve never sworn. I really really detest those ugly words.
My mum always instilled in me that using “swear” words was common, unimaginative and a certain sign of an underused brain. She said there were thousands of useful words that I could utilise instead of being lazy.
Her methods worked well! I can’t forget what she said and whenever I hear the ugly language I immediately think worse of the “swearer” - can’t help it!
I can’t accept that it’s part of our current culture as I hate it so much and desperately don’t want it be.

coastalgran Mon 18-Oct-21 14:20:43

Kids pick up all sorts of language by the time they are in P1, some of it would make you cringe some of it okay, language is part of the society they children live in.

Tickledpink Mon 18-Oct-21 14:07:26

Sometimes DH when speaking to DS on phone I hear a swear word when they are talking about football and I fear DGC will overhear them in the background! When in DGC company I never swear (rarely swear anyway) but when DH forgets occasionally, he gets 'the look'.

BlueRuby Mon 18-Oct-21 13:58:37

I never swore in front of my children until they had gone off to university. At that time I had serious mental health issues and came out of swearing like a trooper. My children thought it was hilarious and bought me very non PC T shirt about tourettes syndrome. I have to say I swear about THINGS, not personally AT people. It's incredibly liberating! And research has shown it shows a high level of intelligence!!! grin

seadragon Mon 18-Oct-21 13:45:29

Our children used to have a swear box for me and so did my colleagues at one of my jobs. (The box was introduced for another colleague of a similar age as well )... It filled up enough to pay for a night out for us all... Having said that, if I let a swear word slip in front of the grandchildren or the children of others, I always apologise to the children and their parents.... explaining that it was a bad habit of mine and not acceptable. I know this is a double standard and I am not proud of it.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Oct-21 13:44:33

grin

pinkym Mon 18-Oct-21 13:43:42

When DS was aged about 7 or 8, he asked me over breakfast one day what "goolies" meant. I calmly said that it was a not very nice word for te****les, and I'd rather he didn't use it, to which the nonchalent reply was "Oh, D (one his best friends at the time) thinks they're ghosts! Open mouth insert foot!!

4allweknow Mon 18-Oct-21 13:37:08

Have never sworn other than as a thought to myself. Father did swear but DM, brothers or sisters did. I was told when young using swear words showed a lack of language skills. Still think that applies.