Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Welcome to the official opening of Granddads' shed

(497 Posts)
tjspompa Sun 05-Jun-11 19:17:25

WOOT - Here it is, our very own shed ( Thanks GSHQ), real posh one too, no more old doors etc. it may be small on the outside but, inside, WOW, it's a tardis, plenty of room for everyone.
However it's a bit bare atm, contributions to make it homely greatly appreciated. BUT remember it's Granddads' shed, no chintz please.

Hope to see you all from time to time.

Lona Sat 19-Jul-14 18:37:57

Sorry, I used to be Ella46 by the way.

Granny23 Sat 19-Jul-14 18:41:40

Hi. Pompa Where have you been and what have you been up to? Lots of changes on Gransnet but some of us are still here and remember you. smile

shysal Sat 19-Jul-14 18:50:35

Welcome back pompa! Missed you, look forward to hearing your news.sunshine

Marmight Sat 19-Jul-14 18:51:27

Hello Pompa - so good to see you back. I was only asking about you fairly recently....... What have you been up to all this time? (I have had a re-naming - I used to be Gally)

pompa Sat 19-Jul-14 18:54:44

Great to see that some old friends are still here and even remember me (for better or worse)

Life has been busy for me.

Got a lovely Granddaughter, 2 last Monday. Got another grandson on they way, one day late now sad.
Been VERY busy with a new U3A in our village, our calendar is full 24/7 atm.

Seem to have spent far too much time in hospital for a while now. nothing too serious, just men,s stuff - sticking my finger in a circular saw - needing a new knee etc. all inconvenient but not life threatening.

Have taken up painting - crap at it, but enjoyable.

Will have to catch up on some of the recent posts, see if I can stir up some controversy (seem to remember I was quite good at that smile.

Marelli Sat 19-Jul-14 19:22:32

pompa, it's so good to see you back here! I was scrolling down the threads and your name just jumped out at me! Marmight/Gally and I (used to be greenmossgiel), were just talking about you the other day and were hoping you'd show up again! Welcome back! smile

thatbags Sat 19-Jul-14 19:26:57

Hello pompa! Lovely to see you back on here. Do chat for a bit. Hope the new knee is behaving well.

pompa Sat 19-Jul-14 19:32:25

Not had the knee replaced yet (booked in for mid Sept) needed to be able to drive when our daughter is due (yesterday !) It's my left knee and I drive an automatic, so it doesn't matter how bad it gets, I can still dive. As it happens it is not very painful, just very stiff, joint seems to be seizing up.

has anyone had a joint replaced under an epidural ? considering it as I think I should be able to drive very soon after.

Galen Sat 19-Jul-14 19:36:27

Hi Pompa I used to be Jeni
Glad to hear you're ok!

hildajenniJ Sat 19-Jul-14 19:57:31

Hello, I've just spotted this little shed. Having popped my head round the door I see that it's huge. Can I please interest you in Granpa M. If I can get him to come of course. He's a bit shy, but very good at the gardening.

pompa Sat 19-Jul-14 20:07:55

I'm making the assumption that the shed has remained pretty much unchanged since it was built. So, any G'pa is more than welcome. Subjects related to anything blokeish are up for discussion, gardening, hobbies, sport, cars. boats, planes etc. So send G'pa M over asap.

glammanana Sat 19-Jul-14 20:27:41

Hi pompa so good to see your name again,I bet your little GD is coming on a treat now, your shed will be rather dusty I think but it will keep you out of mischief for a while grin

HollyDaze Sat 19-Jul-14 21:31:06

As I'm not a G'pa, I shall just lurk discreetly, eavesdrop and peer through the window (once it's been cleaned grin )

Ariadne Sun 20-Jul-14 06:22:08

Hello, Pompa! Great to "see" you again. smile

dustyangel Sun 20-Jul-14 13:10:40

Hello Pompa, you asked if anyone had an epidural for knee replacements. My DH had both done like that and said there was no pain during the ops.
They gave him a light sedative at the same time and he says that hearing banging noises he woke up and said "I can hear you " a voice said "not for long " and he went back to sleep. smile

He said that the worst bit was wanting to pass urine afterwards but not being able to till the epidural wore off.! They gave him a catheter for the second one.

dustyangel Sun 20-Jul-14 13:11:27

He might have dreamt the bit about waking up.

Galen Sun 20-Jul-14 13:31:24

Not a knee, but an ankle and three hips. I get round the inability to wee by asking to be catheterised beforehand as I always get a retention of urine following a spinal or epidural.

annodomini Sun 20-Jul-14 14:15:57

Hi, pompa - you were never 'less than popular' here and you have been missed. It's great to see you back. Has the new baby arrived yet? You will be on tenterhooks until he is safely here. Don't go away again, please, and give our best wishes to Mrs P. sunshine

annodomini Sun 20-Jul-14 14:17:24

Meant to add that my hip was replaced with an epidural. Sedation meant I wasn't fully aware of what was going on. Far better than a general anaesthetic which invariably makes me throw up.

pompa Mon 21-Jul-14 21:53:27

Thanks for all the epidural info, will have to ask re catheter - baby still staying put sad

As there seem to be a few complaints about dirty windows & dust around the shed, perhaps, next time you ladies bring over the cakes, you could have a quick flick round with a duster smile

Lona Mon 21-Jul-14 21:59:01

Now now Pompa.......... Behave!!

pompa Mon 21-Jul-14 22:14:04

Am I just being grumpy :-

Watching Edinburgh Live last night, why did Boy George and Smokey Robinson have to perform, they were two of my favourites in their day and great singers, but now just a sad memory of what they were. Had to listen to some original tracks to remind my self how I loved them. (there one or two others I wished hadn't performed, but they were never top of my pops. Some old groups can still cut the mustard but not those last night.

Galen Mon 21-Jul-14 22:21:50

Seriously being catheterised beforehand is a good idea. Especially if you have any prostatic problems (which I don't have. I'm just odd)

annodomini Mon 21-Jul-14 23:03:33

Galen I read that as meaning pompa should have been catheterised before watching Edinburgh LIve. Oh well, it's late. moon

Malcolm102 Tue 22-Jul-14 10:10:09

Knees. I had a torn cartridge in my right knee a few years back. I could not wait for NHS so went private. It was supposingly repaired, but it was still giving bother. Under the NHS I had injections, and see a consultant every 6 months. On my last visit I was told that I can have another injection, but this has not happened.
Now my left knee is giving me bother, and I have just phoned my GP and got an appointment for tomorrow.
I have been reading that there is an injection that contains a substance that builds up the worn cartridge. I shall be asking questions tomorrow about this.