Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Please help me TIPTREE JAM to stay in Tiptree

(61 Posts)
pompa Fri 01-Jul-11 08:36:33

We must all have eaten or bought TIPTREE JAM at some time in our lives. Wilkin & Sons have made jam in Tiptree for over 125 years and are a cornerstone of the village. They need to expand their factory and would employ another 200 local people. However the Council are refusing them permission to build houses on their existing site to finance the expansion. This could mean they have to move out of Tiptree with a loss of a potential 500 local jobs.
Please help me by supporting their campaign and spread the campaign World Wide.
Details can be found on the News pages of their website www.tiptree.com and on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiptree-where-the-jam-comes-from/157669864298311.

I have no connection with Tiptree Jam, other than having lived in Tiptree most of my life. Neither I or any of my family have worked for them. I just passionately believe they should continue to make jam here for another 125 years.

jangly Tue 19-Jul-11 11:16:32

Join the discount partners. We'll have half price please.

jangly Tue 19-Jul-11 11:18:04

my, doesn't time fly when you're on Gransnet. (!!!!!)

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 12:08:10

Thanks for pointing this out jangly.

You can always draw our attention to a post by clicking 'Report' in the top right hand corner - it's the most effective way of getting hold of us.

(Much more than calling our names, which can sometimes get lost in the sound of all the Gransnet chat!)

jangly Tue 19-Jul-11 14:57:04

Right- o Josi.

I think I was more joking than anything when I called your name. smile

pompa Tue 19-Jul-11 16:58:58

I'm sad to see that Tiptree Jam's post was deleted. I don't think they were deliberative trying to promote their products. They are justly proud, as are all the villagers, of the product they have made for over 125 years without significant change.
It is that pride in the Tiptree Jams products and its reputation as a local employer that makes me passionate to do everything I can to ensure they stay in Tiptree.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Jul-11 17:25:35

Just to clarify, the post from tiptree was deleted because it was a statement from a company, which we don't allow on Gransnet. We know it was informative, but it's difficult for us to draw the line between advertising and answering questions, so we don't allow posts from usernames that are the same as the company's. It would also be tricky to police who was actually from the company itself. And we wouldn't want other companies feeling like this was a rule that could be broken and that they could advertise and spam the forums.

We feel that the forums should be there for conversation and chat between gransnetters themselves, not for companies to represent themselves. We're happy to think this through if anyone's got any thoughts on this.

We're completely happy for the conversation to carry on and for the campaign to continue - don't feel like we're censoring any gransnetters' conversation at all!

crimson Tue 19-Jul-11 17:45:14

Thanks for that, jangly. pompa; please keep me informed as to how the campaign is progressing. It was good of the company to explain in such detail what had happened so far. Not many companies would be so decent.

jangly Tue 19-Jul-11 17:54:32

Don't you blame me Crimson! grin

Go on their facebook page.

The second post they put up was blatant advertising.

jangly Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:02

Anyway Crimson Josi couldn't really have heard me call her name! grin. ( I didn't click on the report button). She must have just read the thread anyway.

pompa Tue 19-Jul-11 19:50:14

As Jangly says, for the full story go to their facebook page.
I have said it before, but I will repeat. I have no direct connection with Tiptree Jam, neither I, or any member of my family have ever worked for them. I have however lived in Tiptree for 44 years and know how important they are to the village economy. Without them there will be very few local employers, people will have to travel at least 8 miles to the next nearest centre of employment, and as public transport links are poor, that means they will require a car. I'm not sure what would happen to the many employees that currently live in company houses.
My wife's company recently relocated from the village to another village 10 miles away. She does not drive, that journey would have taken over 2 hours using 3 buses, luckily she was close to retirement and took that option. This would be the problem facing many people should Tiptree Jam have to relocate.
As far as the current campaign goes, I believe the exhibition has been well attended, and the response generally positive. We just have to hope that the council listen to the wishes of the majority. Unfortunately, they have not listened in the past, they seem to live in their own little world.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 08:37:41

Got the tee shirt pic added to my photos.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 12:12:49

You've got a kind face pomps

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:12:54

This is all fascinating stuff - and, jangly, we do think Tiptree is entitled to put its point of view, given that this thread was started and continued by gransnetters - though I agree, it is turning out to be rather a nice little promotion for the company (that's why we deleted one post, which seemed to be promoting a bit too enthusiastically.)

But I don't think they can help that.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 16:43:37

Jangly, thanks for that, shame about the belly !!!. Blame the Tiptree cream teas for that (other cream teas are available) smile

Baggy Wed 20-Jul-11 16:54:17

pompa, remind your councillors and council officers that they are the servants of the people, not the masters.

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 16:55:29

Exactly Baggy, although one wonders at times.

crimson Wed 20-Jul-11 17:03:57

I can't remember exactly what the company said in the first post and I'm not sure that I saw the second, but I assume the first one referred to questions raised by us in previous posts, especially my accusation [not actually aimed at the company themselves but at other 'interested parties'] that maybe someone wanted the company to move elsewhere [even to another country to provide more employment there] or be closed down so as not to be competition to another manufacturer. Maybe the second post [which I didn't see] was advertising, but I had wanted to purchase the jam and found it unavailable in my local supermarket. I do understand that it was against the rules of Gransnet, but feel aggrieved that it was pointed out by someone who didn't seem at all interested in the potential loss of employment in the area [an issue close to my heart due to Terrys,Cadburys and now Bombardier]. In this country we so need employers that care about the welfare of their workers and they deserve all the support we can give them.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 17:55:45

For God's sake Geraldine - I was having a larf! Slap my wrists why don't you. I really don't give a flying you-know-what if they pay for their advertising or not. Why the hell should I?!

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:16

Don't lets make too much of the deleted second post, I accept that it was outside the rules, and it would have created a precedent if it were not deleted.
I have met the person that posted and also posts on their facebook site, he is NOT a advertising/marketing guy, he is a jam maker to the core and passionate about keeping the company in Tiptree, I don't think he was intentionally trying to break any rules. He said to me "If we fail to stay in Tiptree, we will have failed the employees and the people of Tiptree" I think that sums up his feelings.

Jangly, I realise that your original comment was light hearted, I don't think it was why the Tiptree posts were deleted.
I am not sure why the first post was deleted, I thought it just answered questions asked by Gransnetters in a factual way.

If anyone wants to see the various options, go to their web site or facebook page, or better still, get along to their exhibition which runs until Friday.

jangly Wed 20-Jul-11 19:32:30

pompa, I think the exhibition would be lovely - especially if you get free tasters. grin

I really didn't mean to cause any trouble for anyone. I didn't click on the report button.

Not sure if Gransnet HQ are very good at spotting a joke. sad

And I'm 69, not 10. I'm not going to be told off by anyone - except other Gransnetters when I deserve it. winkgrin

Hope it all goes well for your village pomps.

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 14:35:55

On the lid of the jar of jam we're on at the moment says Tiptree Essex. Wilkin & sons Ltd.

On the label it says St Peters Church Divine Damson jam.

Gorgeous jam and a nice joke too. grin

Stansgran Thu 04-Aug-11 17:37:34

Bought a glossy mag. in France on Saturday and guess what- an elegant table setting for eating al fresco in a glorious garden and Tiptree marmalade not Bonne Maman!in pride of place-wasn't an ad.

pompa Wed 10-Aug-11 20:22:00

FYI, the result of the exhibition questionnaire was 98% in favour 2% against. Th facebook page had over 5000 in favour and an independent petition in the village has over 3000 in favour so far.

shysal Thu 18-Aug-11 19:24:42

pompa - did you see this week's Countrywise Kitchen on ITV ? It came from Essex and briefly featured Wilkins jam. I expect you will recognise most of the venues on the show.

pompa Thu 18-Aug-11 19:48:10

Shysal, no we have not seen it yet, we were away, but have recorded it. Must check it out asap.