Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

DVLA Renewing licence when over 70!

(36 Posts)
gramps Mon 16-Jul-12 23:38:46

I have had to return my licence to get my new one year replacement. Due to my medical condition I had to send a list of all my medication taken for my treatment. I should mention, I'm considerably older than 70!

I'm hoping to get it back, especially as I enclosed my assessment report from RoSPA, giving me an "A" grade pass!

Has anybody else had this sort of experience?

PRINTMISS Tue 17-Jul-12 07:54:08

I have written a bit about a mobility scooter for my husband on this subject. He has macular degeneration in the left eye, this has been halted with treatment and has been driving like that for about two years, but his licence ran out in June, and early this year the DVLA reminded him of this and he had to fill in all the details of medication etc. They had already been advised of the macular problem. After 90 days - the time DVLA take to sort these things out he was asked to visit the optician chosen by them, but that he could continue to drive, using the letter of authority sent with the appointment. The optician advised him that his eyesight was borderline for driving, a catarract in the other eye not helping at all, but that the DVLA would let us know. My husband continues to drive for the simple reason he has not been told not to, as the optician did not say he should not, but he still only has the letter of authority, no proper driving licence.

Greatnan Tue 17-Jul-12 07:59:02

I renewed mine at 70 but it is valid for three years. When I get to 73, I will exchange it for a French licence, which does not have an age limit!
My brother had cataracts removed and was able to continue driving afterwards.

glassortwo Tue 17-Jul-12 08:30:10

gramps my FIL is 78 he has glaucoma and very little vision in one eye, since he was 70 he has had to keep renewing his license but is still driving, he drives a 2 seater sports car (he calls it his babe machine grin) He is sure that come September it wont be renewed again but then he worries at every renewal.

gramps Tue 17-Jul-12 09:07:10

I know that DVLA can take ages to answer, but until you hear I guess you can still drive!

dorsetpennt Tue 17-Jul-12 09:09:02

I live in an area with a large population of elderly people, most of whom shouldn't be driving!. We frequently have people driving their mobility scooters on the road, turning the wrong way, parking on the zebra crossing etc. When I worked at the Medical Centre a pensioner in a high powered car crashed into us whilst parking as she had put her foot on the wrong pedal - she had had several similar accidents. A friend who'd driven in many countries said my area was the worst to drive in due to the dangerous manoeuvres made by our elderly population. Of course plenty of people are more then capable of driving when they reach 70 and beyond. However, lets face it your reactions aren't so swift and you suffer from various aliments that hinder your driving. I think a test that includes reflex action as well as sight should be implemented. My uncle refused point blank to driving with my late G/father as he drove so close to parked cars and shot the lights frequently. It's all pride isn't it rather then admitting that you may not be up to driving anymore.

glammanana Tue 17-Jul-12 09:30:58

dorsetpennt I agree with you on your post,reflexes and observations do get slower as we get older,also there are countless drivers who do not keep up to date with new additions to the Highway Code,would you consider going on a bus/train/plane with someone responsible for your safe arrival if they only had 50/50 vision ?

glassortwo Tue 17-Jul-12 09:57:32

glamma I wont get in a car with my FIL, I insist on driving.

glammanana Tue 17-Jul-12 11:35:56

Good for you glass I would be mortified if my eyesight was that bad that I caused an accident and injured innocent people.

glassortwo Tue 17-Jul-12 11:40:43

glamma I think he knows that his driving days are over and the car stands from one month to the next unless he has to take it to the garage, I go up and if he wants to go somewhere I drive. He turns the engine on and lets it run for an hour to "keep things oiled" without moving it grin

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 11:44:22

Oh, that's so sad, glass. I know a lot of men get terribly attached to their cars, and driving generally - OH would absolutely hate having to give up!

glammanana Tue 17-Jul-12 11:45:17

God bless him, my dad always kept his car keys by his chair after he was told not to drive again and he would always get my DH to give "the old bird" a spin every other week,he even kept it taxed and insured until the day he died.

gramps Tue 17-Jul-12 14:01:38

I take the RoSPA driving assessment, for the second time. Suggested it should be retaken every three years.. This time I passed with an "A", only two points short of gold! A bit chuffed!
It's the medication they may take exception to in my case!

Greatnan Tue 17-Jul-12 14:16:36

I will soon be 72 and if I couldn't drive my life would be impossible. Apart from having worn glasses for myopia since I was 9, there is nothing wrong with my health. I could walk the hind legs off most people 30 years my junior. I would be happy to take another driving test.
I thing people, especially men, between the ages of 17 and 25 are statistically much more likely to cause accidents.
Of course I realise that there are many people driving who should not be, and I hope their nearest and dearest would have the courage to inform their doctor and/or the DVLA.

Pamelabrown Tue 18-Oct-16 10:23:50

I used to work for the DVLA before I retired, I think they are too strict on over 70s yes some over 70s are quite frail and dangerous drivers but these days 70 isnt that old and most 70+ people are very capable of driving well and efficiently. I think all that is needed is a twice yearly sign off from a doctor to say our health remains decent enough to drive with no concerns.

Thanks - www.dvla-contact-number.co.uk/

Im68Now Tue 18-Oct-16 10:33:36

If you're driving and its someone else that gets hurt, Whats it matter.

Sadly, this is a very serious subject.

foxie Wed 19-Oct-16 09:51:28

I also have a 3 year renewable driving license and I have to sign a medical disclosure with permission to allow contact with my doctor. If I could pass a law I would make it obligatory for all drivers over 70 to have a full annual medical to include a sight test before renewing their license. It would also include a timed reaction test which would not be very popular I know but it would take a good many unsafe drivers off the road.

Wobblybits Wed 19-Oct-16 10:06:11

I would welcome an annual eye sight test for anyone over 70 who wishes to drive. I'm surprised that insurance companies don't require it.

TriciaF Wed 19-Oct-16 10:58:25

I depend on my hearing too, when driving, and it's not very good.
ie when you're pootling along a suddenly a vehicle zooms up from behind and overtakes - you hear it before you see it.

grannypiper Wed 19-Oct-16 11:14:08

I wish my 84 YEAR OLD DF would give up driving, he is a danger on the road, although he only drives about 200 miles a year he manged to have 3 little prangs last year that were all his fault, i worry constantly that he will cause someone's death.

M0nica Wed 19-Oct-16 13:46:20

Statistically, older drivers are safer drivers than under 25s because they tend to drive more slowly and more cautiously.

Of course any accident featuring an older driver doing something dangerous leads the headlines and leads to calls for us to take tests etc, but that is the danger of anecdotal evidence, they just not make the same fuss when a driver under 70 does something, the same or similar, which may be even more dangerous. An acquaintance was killed by a van driver overtaking on a bend he couldn't see round. The driver of the van was in his mid 20s.

oldgoat Wed 19-Oct-16 14:06:40

pamelabrown foxie Annual medical inspection or twice annual check by a doctor before over 70s are allowed to drive? Have you tried getting an appointment with your GP lately?

granjura Wed 19-Oct-16 18:24:50

This thread fills me with dread- truly. I once spent 7.5 months in hospital and 2 years to learn to walk again, and now full knee replacement due to consequences. If someone cannot see properly, due to macular degenaration, cataracts or glaucoma - often a combination of all 3- they MUST be told NOT to drive, sorry.

ROBBY1234 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:21:23

Hi, Can you really do this if your from uk.?

Greatnan Tue 17-Jul-12 07:59:02

I renewed mine at 70 but it is valid for three years. When I get to 73, I will exchange it for a French licence, which does not have an age limit!

ROBBY1234 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:47:14

applying for my UK driving license 73 years old next birthday

Hi,

I renewed my license at 70. Can anyone tell me, when Ive held my photo card license for three years at 73. Will i need go through the same procedure of counter signature on back of photo, and must counter signature person, fill in a section on form when i re-apply at 73.I have a up to date Passport. Please guide me on this Procedure.?

Because Ive been told, as long as i give my passport Number on Form, that i don't need to change license Photo, so no need for counter signatures or form filling by a counter signature person.
please can yo guide me on the procedure i will have to go through at 73.?

Thanking you all in anticipation Rob