Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Adverts I hate

(121 Posts)
pompa Thu 25-Sep-14 18:16:55

There are nay adverts that bug me, but my current top of the list is the Knor stock pots one, he asks "is this beef local" the reply "Yes, it comes just 70 mile away" is ridiculous. We live on the East Coast, 70 miles could include France/Holland etc. For anyone living in the Midlands it would include much of England. My local Tesco can at least get meat/veg from the same county.

What gets your goat?

Maniac Fri 26-Sep-14 18:09:33

i also hate the Ronnie Corbett Farm foods ad
Even more the fussy wedding florist endorsing Vistaprint I switch over immediately

Marelli Fri 26-Sep-14 18:22:03

Michael Parkinson - Sun Life. Need I say more?

Marelli Fri 26-Sep-14 18:28:23

I also am very fond of the Meerkat adverts, and have, to date, 4 of them. Baby Oleg (plus grub) was delivered this morning. He has a nappy on under his Babygro. grin

Marelli Fri 26-Sep-14 18:29:36

I haven't got 4 of the adverts - I have 4 of the Meerkats. confused

sparkygran Fri 26-Sep-14 18:37:48

I mute them all - can`t stand any of them

glammanana Fri 26-Sep-14 18:40:54

Marelli Are you starting your own little colony ? they are so cute I wish we where in the market for new insurance or should I say in the meercat grin

FarNorth Fri 26-Sep-14 18:48:47

Plenty kitchen roll with the fake-spanish guy asking "did you get plenty wet yet?"

rosequartz Fri 26-Sep-14 19:24:58

Peter Andre is now on the bus advertising Iceland or some food store.

Nelliemoser Fri 26-Sep-14 19:34:42

Adverts I don't like.
Many of them have already been cited. Mr Shouty Cilit bang. Meerkats. The Farm foods.

Dove skin wash products and the Dove for men.

The dreamy unnecessary "Follow on" baby milk.
All the Dettol OMG there are germs about lets nuke them! and many more I will think of later on.

rockgran Fri 26-Sep-14 19:36:00

I hate the one where the guy picks up a maltezer with a straw to give to his girlfriend. I just want to slap them both and eat the maltezers by the handful!

Marelli Fri 26-Sep-14 19:39:16

glamma - they're in the spare room, stuffed into in an old paper-rack! They really are very well-made. I'm not a cuddly toy collector, by the way (heaven forfend...) shock!

pompa Sat 27-Sep-14 07:30:18

Sadly, every one of those adverts that have been mentioned have achieved their aim, you remembered them !!!

Never imagined the response when I started this thread.

Anya Sat 27-Sep-14 07:36:04

Marelli I didn't know about the nappy. Just undressed baby Oleg to find out that your are right.

Wow, the things you learn on GN! grin

Marelli Sat 27-Sep-14 07:41:00

winkgrin!

tiggypiro Sat 27-Sep-14 08:32:13

Apparently those meercat toys are now collectable and are selling for quite good prices. I should be checking out ebay !!

FlicketyB Sat 27-Sep-14 19:47:36

All cosmetic/shampoo adverts with their cod science and simpering women saying 'You're worth it' or some such silly phrase. No idea what the brands are and I couldn't buy them, even if I wanted to because of my skin allergies.

Ana Sat 27-Sep-14 20:39:27

I love the maltesers/straw one! And the meerkats, accents and all! grin

Hate all the celebrity endorsed products ones, though. As if Cheryl Whatsit or Davina M actually colour their own hair...hmm

HappyNanna Sat 27-Sep-14 21:55:08

Can't stand the Suzuki car ad. The one where the guy gives everyone a lift/helps everyone out to the tune of 'I want you so bad'.

HollyDaze Sat 27-Sep-14 22:10:11

I dislike all the ones with celebrities shopping in certain supermarkets (Len Goodman (Farmfoods?), Peter Andre (Iceland)) - do they really think we're daft enough to believe it hmm

There's a trend lately (well, two adverts anyway) with people ending up with creamy stuff on their noses who then grin idiotically at the camera - why is that considered amusing/funny?

I hate any advert with a stick-thin model-type eating chocolate, who pops said choccy in her mouth, closes her eyes in fake ecstacy but no chewing involved - we all know she will spit it out the minute she can.

FlicketyB Sun 28-Sep-14 08:06:41

Even if you remember adverts, which is what the advertisers want, what good does it do them if the ad makes you vow to never buy the product because the ad is so dreadful. There have been products I have refused to buy because I disliked the advertisement.

grandma60 Sun 28-Sep-14 08:48:25

The one in a market with friendly stall holders and happy customers gushing about how fresh the food is and so cheap. It is then revealed that it is all from Lidl!

Flowerofthewest Sun 28-Sep-14 09:47:45

But grandma60 Lidl food is cheap and good quality. Can't wait for our Lidl to open it's new large store which is being built now. Roll on November.

papaoscar Sun 28-Sep-14 12:22:30

Old Ray Winstone, shrugging his shoulders and growling in that menacing gangster-style voice - bet, you plonkers, or I'll send the boys raand! Do itttt! What marketing genius thought up that load of tripe? Just has me reaching for my taser.

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 13:45:25

papa grin

HollyDaze Sun 28-Sep-14 15:38:31

Just has me reaching for my taser.

I've often wished they were legal here. What about a cattle prod? Would we get away with that?