Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Bee in your Bonnet?

(84 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 07-Feb-16 12:35:29

Here you are - a thread all ready for discussion of Age UK Enterprises!

thatbags Tue 09-Feb-16 09:12:03

x posts, mcem, saying the same sort of thing.

Elegran Tue 09-Feb-16 09:14:54

Read the threads listed on the "News and Politics" topic here www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics for some discussion of subjects that affect everyone. No perfume on these.

I look forward to reading your views - and your wife's too. I am sure she has as much to contribute to the equality of the sexes as you have.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Feb-16 09:33:29

What you say about the Channel 4 programme Dispatches would make a very good thread. If you start one here news and politics forum it will be discussed. smile And you will be away. smile

POGS Tue 09-Feb-16 11:07:34

Realgranddad/James

I am still confused ' you have ' already posted on the News and Politics thread prior to mentioning gender and your request for more gender neutral forums/threads. Indeed ' you have ' already srarted a thread and posted on others which shows you know exactly how to engage in Gransnet.

I thank you for your telling us a little of your background and you sound an interesting gentleman and obviously you are giving a strong hint that politics is a subject you enjoy, as noted in your posts on the News and Politics thread and here.

I for one have a great respect for one of our male posters Grumppa who I may or may not agree with but I always take note of his posts as he shows good insight and maturity in his style of posting. I think more male input is a good thing but I ' respectfully ' say I wish now you have declared your new membership, bedded into GN, informed us of your dislike of feminist threads you take the advice given and start threads which interest you and continue to post on the threads you have already posted on .

You have done it, you can do it. Your posts could be of interest and more widely read if you put them on the respective forums , such as the politics forum you have submitted to. Containing them to one thread will in time suffer from 'fatigue' and you may feel just as upset thinking gender has caused the demise of this thread which inevitably will happen as that is the nature of GN. Respectfully POGS

kittylester Tue 09-Feb-16 11:20:32

Good posts POGS.

POGS Tue 09-Feb-16 12:38:51

wink

Realgranddad Tue 09-Feb-16 17:21:27

Hi Grans, Just got back from a good meeting of older people. a number of good subjects discussed, deep concerns about cuts in transport, loneliness and social isolation. Nobody had the the right answers but our general feeling was there is a need for greater protection by the Gov for our infrastructure.

Reading some of the comments about me and my silly views, I had not a clue when I first visited GN of all the different forums/threads. My first introduction was the Home page, thus my comments that it did nothing for me as a granddad to get me interested to become a member. Mentioning it from a male perspective has got me into a can of worms with so many members who presumably know the site inside out and unfortunately, seem to presume newcomers like me should also know. I also did not know some of the IT language, thread to me was like threading through a crowd or threading cotton, that it is used as a link was lost on me, having been born over 80 years ago. Perhaps, I need to return to the world of academia for an upgrade.

My search of your forums led me to news/politice, the Shed etc. attempts to find others without a gender feeling was extremely difficult, so my comments meant to be constructive in getting more males on board have been interpreted as complaints. I was trying to be constructive but my big heavy boots have got in the way, so now I have started to wear slippers. I might however, have a change of foot wear if the battle of the sexes develops by perceiving wrongly that I am being unfairly provoked. I know at times I am a grumpy old b*** , I am signing off for now to go and prepare the pancake mix for later.

James

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:23

Oh for Heaven's sake! Why don't you just say something instead of all this waffle?! Most people manage to just join quietly.

And where is this "world of academia" that you are thinking of going back to? A lot of posters on here have degrees, and excellent qualifications in all walks of life. We are not total duffers. hmm

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:52:58

I had an excellent poetry book for Christmas. It's called "More bees bigger bonnets".
It begins

They told me
I'd calm down
as I got older
but to be honest
I find that age is bringing
more bees, bigger bonnets.

Realgrandad, I mentioned the Dispatches programme on another thread. Gillybob said she was going to watch it.
I think it was on the Google not paying tax thread.

mcem Tue 09-Feb-16 17:53:50

I've just counted 49 forum topics and if out if those you can find only 2 which fit your non gender-specific criteria I'm inclined to think that perhaps you're too narrowminded set in your ways for GN.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:54:31

Sorry, it's on Amazon and tax,

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1217040-Amazon-and-tax

Realgranddad Tue 09-Feb-16 18:34:23

Hi jinglbellsfrocks.

Touchy, ding dong's, the reference to academia, was nothing to do with having a degree. My association was with how out of touch I am from my student days, and I inferred I need re-educating, perhaps I should have said back to school.
My mentioning of the discussions at an older people meeting I did not consider to be waffle, nor were my comments of how I got it wrong when I joined gransnet. it was more of an apology for the clangers I dropped.

It seems that it does not matter what I say, it seems I am going to upset a gran. Instead of returning to academia. perhaps, I should dream of returning to the air attacks of the 40's, where I believe I attracted far less flack when sitting in a cockpit, even though it was a living nightmare at the time.

Bye Bye grans, I feel I should now sign off in case I am waffling to much.
Not sure if I shall be coming back.

James (Retired RAF Aircrew)

wot Tue 09-Feb-16 19:22:30

How rude!!!!!!!!

mcem Tue 09-Feb-16 19:38:46

And pompous!!!!

Jalima Tue 09-Feb-16 19:51:44

Well, that was short-lived!!

I think most of the posts consisted of kindly advice on how to join in non-gender-specific threads (which was, in the main, ignored).

Perhaps, I need to return to the world of academia for an upgrade
I did think you would manage to stay on here until at least the end of half-term Realgg.

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-16 19:58:15

I love that poem durhamjen and, sadly, I can relate to it blush

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:03:34

Should we stand by our beds?

Jalima Tue 09-Feb-16 20:04:00

I can definitely relate it to DH, but I am still all sweetness and light grin

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 22:46:56

stevepottinger.co.uk/poems/comrade-osborne/

Another poem, Eloethan, which you will probably relate to. It's also a link to lots of others by him, some of which are in the book.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 22:54:25

stevepottinger.co.uk/no-one-likes-an-angry-poet/

This one is not on his website, but this is the one I saw first before I was given the book.

Granddaughter Wed 10-Feb-16 20:08:20

I wonder what the avge age is on GN ? The views are so wide they must be many from different era's.

Many views are so catty they annoy me, yet many are considerate and respectful, but far to many seem to be wanting a squabble and take no notice of older citizen views. In fact, they are only one's they believe are right.

I would love to hear the views of granddads if they have not been frightened away.

annsixty Wed 10-Feb-16 20:45:14

If you want to collate the ages I am a regular poster and I am 78. One of the older GNers and posters.

Ana Wed 10-Feb-16 20:48:36

What's wrong with a wide range of views anyway?

durhamjen Wed 10-Feb-16 21:24:46

How old are you, Granddaughter?

Elegran Wed 10-Feb-16 21:25:50

The average age in not really relevant - we certainly have posters whose ages range from well under 50 to almost 100 - a range of fifty years or so, so there is no such thing as a "typical" age. Posters of the same age differ widely in their views, too, just as in Real Life.

Incidentally, if Realgrandad spent some of the 1940s dodging flak in the cockpit of a fighter plane, then he is about 100.