Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Twin grandchildren

(163 Posts)
marypoppins Fri 13-May-11 16:05:57

Hi, I'm a first time, single Grandmother to lovely 14month old twins who are now both toddling.
I look after them twice a week and it is becoming more challenging for me to keep up as they are so active and are starting to be competitive with each other now.
I would love some useful tips from others with twin experience please!

JessM Tue 22-Jan-13 17:49:54

AH lovely boys. Got your hands full with that bundle of fun. grin

whenim64 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:57:38

My photos are uploading at last. Just put another on smile

Gally Tue 22-Jan-13 18:16:36

So sweet When - I know how she feels! grin

janeainsworth Tue 22-Jan-13 18:17:43

Lovely photos When smile

soop Tue 22-Jan-13 18:21:58

Special photographs, when...Polly is adorable. smile

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:10:59

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kali Tue 22-Jan-13 19:37:08

Adorable smile

mrshat Tue 22-Jan-13 19:48:33

They are beautiful when smile

Ella46 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:51:19

Gorgeous when sunshine

Grannylin Tue 22-Jan-13 20:39:45

What a fabulous family you have when! sunshine

glassortwo Tue 22-Jan-13 20:56:17

Awwww gorgeous smile

Culbie Thu 31-Jan-13 22:55:08

My daughter had triplet girls at 28 weeks and they obviously had to spend a long time in both intensive care and special care. The girls are fine and about to celebrate their 4th birthday. I was simply another pair of much needed hands during the first year, even in the SCU. I stayed for weeks together and cooked loads of meals, fed babies, changed nappies and helped to keep everyone's sense of humour intact. Hours and hours have been spent reading to them ever since they were tiny, not just at bedtime but once or twice during the day too. They watch virtually no TV just the odd well chosen DVD on rainy days. We find reading books has a calming effect and stimulates their imagination. I collect children's books and so does my daughter. One can get hold of some brilliant children's books on eBay and abebooks for a fraction of the usual price. I put my current favorites in a big box and take it with me when I visit by car.
Another tip is to get just one set of toys out at a time then put them away and try something else when they drift off. Variety is the trick.
Let them watch you doing real things, even if it is just washing up or peeling potatoes. And as soon as it is feasible let them join in, my granddaughter (3) was grating the cheese this evening and my grandson (4) loves cracking eggs! But before they could even sit up we used to put them in their bumbos and perch them of the worktop just to watch - they loved it!
That is enough!