Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES

(125 Posts)
lucyjordan Mon 16-May-11 00:44:47

thought some of you might enjoy this.

It brought a smile to my face when i read it

. After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair.. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice,

"Who was THAT?"

JessM Tue 03-Jan-12 16:13:27

Maybe Granny23 she's be watching something like Angelina Ballerina, with close attention.

Anne58 Tue 03-Jan-12 18:30:12

When ds1 was small, he used to refer to a certain high street store as "Marks & 'Spensive"

He was also telling me about their next school event (which he used to call "The Harvest Vegetable" ) and explaining that on Wednesday they were doing it for the Mummys and Daddys, but on Thursday "it would be for, for...... oh, you know Mummy, the crumple faced ladies and gentlemen!"

He meant the residents of the local old peoples home, but it was the "Ladies and Gentlemen" bit that finished me!

silverfoxygran Tue 03-Jan-12 18:47:19

It was a miserable day when this conversation took place

GD (aged 3) Mummy how old is the sky?
DD It's very old.
GD Then I think we should get a new one.

fillygumbo Fri 06-Jan-12 13:33:01

lovely little girl aged 4 was playing with baby brother who was crawling all o ver her "Oh Stanley" says she "mind my bullocks"
still makes me snigger

Hunt Thu 12-Jan-12 09:59:30

Someone on the radio announced that it was Shakespeare's birthday. 3 year old DS rushed into the kitchen,'' Mummy, Mummy, it's Shakespeare's birthday ,can we go to his party?'' DD aged 4and a bit,'' Don't be silly , it's much too far!''

raggygranny Fri 17-Feb-12 20:17:45

Overheard while I was babysitting recently:

2-yr-old: She's my granny
10-yr-old: No, she's our granny
2-yr-old She's my our granny

bagitha Fri 17-Feb-12 20:22:54

Little sweetie!

raggygranny Fri 17-Feb-12 20:24:41

She is indeed bagitha. I could have eaten her! (Metaphorically speaking I hasten to add!)

Anne58 Fri 17-Feb-12 20:49:10

Please don't shout!!

raggygranny Sat 18-Feb-12 10:10:50

Eh???

Greatnan Sat 18-Feb-12 11:28:02

My four year old grandson told me he was suffering from germs and weasels

em Sat 18-Feb-12 11:45:32

A few years back my daughter came home and announced very seriously that her friend's granny was ill but she couldn't remember what was wrong with her. She thought it was either chickenpops or ammonia!!

golfina Thu 19-Apr-12 22:13:36

My 3 year old grandson had been making gingerbread men with his mum. When he smelled them as they came out of the oven, he said 'I can't believe my nose!'

Mamie Sun 10-Jun-12 18:59:56

I cooked spring greens to have with our roast ham today. My 6 year old DGD came into the kitchen and said "What is that stuff that smells like Daddy's farts?".

nanaej Sun 10-Jun-12 19:07:43

mamie hope you enjoyed you lunch!grin

My DGD2 (3) absorbed by a TV wildlife programme then wistfully turned to her mum and said, 'I can't be an otter when I grow up can I?'

dizzyblonde Mon 25-Jun-12 19:59:36

One day I was getting dressed and realised my clothes were downstairs having been ironed the previous night.
I dashed downstairs stark naked and my DH shouted to the children 'look Mummy's got no clothes on' and aimed a playful smack at my bottom.
Fast forward to later that day and we were with my sister at a local attraction when she took my three year old son to the loo. He told her in clarion tones ' Mummy was naked today and Daddy smacked her'
My sister's face was scarlet!

JessM Mon 25-Jun-12 20:44:47

ah, nanaej , not a dolphin either, dammit. So not fair. sad

Annika Mon 25-Jun-12 21:09:30

While waching TV with my grandaughter then 5, a trailer came on for the Paul O'grady show . I said I like Paul O'grady she replied I like poor old lady too grin

gracesmum Mon 25-Jun-12 22:01:08

DH and I spent a night at DD's last week and little Will looked up when DH came into the kitchen next morning and said "Gwampa?" (yes Will) "It's vewy wainy outside". He is 25 months- I know I am biased, but how sweet and so like a (little) man!

Granb Tue 26-Jun-12 10:38:51

Shortly after having a very basic discussion with DS1 about babies and where they come from (think along lines of tiny fishy things and swimming) we were in the library when an extremely heavily pregnant lady came and stood next to us. DS1 did a double-take and then said very excitedly and very loudly..."mummy, that lady must have a whale in her tummy"!

nanaej Tue 26-Jun-12 10:44:13

Heard a tale yesterday about a child on a bus with her pregnant mum. A very large, but not pregnant, lady got on and the child stared long and hard. When she got off the ringing tones of a 3 year old could be heard saying 'that lady had two babies, one in each bottom!'

JessM Tue 26-Jun-12 18:13:16

brilliant!
front and back bottoms maybe? grin

kittylester Wed 14-Nov-12 10:29:38

Seb (aged 5 and a half): Daddy, I can spell 'I'll'

SiL: That's good, Seb, tell me.

Seb: 'I' 'suppository' 'double l'

---

Hattie (aged 4, keen ballerina but also enjoys watching 'boys' films with Seb, at Aunt's wedding reception): Seb and James are on my dance floor!

DD1: Well, actually, it's the dance floor for everyone so you'll have to share it, is that ok?

Hattie: (screaming) No, I've had enough now and I hope they DIE!

nanaej Wed 14-Nov-12 10:45:01

kitty I do love a drama queen! They run in our family!! grin

kittylester Wed 14-Nov-12 10:48:39

nanaej I can't imagine where she gets it from - oh, yes, her mother and her two aunts!! grin