Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Silly Names

(106 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sat 16-Jul-11 13:55:44

There has been a lot of press chatter about the Beckhams naming their new daughter Harper Seven! For some reason celebs have always felt ift necessary to choose truly awful names for their offspring ie: Frank Zappa's son was called Moon Unit - he changed it as soon as he was old enough. I've always felt that when thinking of naming your child one should consider various things. What may be modern now will date your child, there are a lot of 20 yr old Kylies about. What you consider unusual or cute sounds really silly to the rest of the world. Will your child have to explain and/or spell out it's name for ever!! Try pretending your back garden is a playground and shout out the names you are thinking of - in your minds eye are the kids falling about laughing. Also what does the name actually mean, an example. In a local shop a young mother with two little girls - one was called Ivory [white child, like calling a black child Blanche] and Trinity - wasn't her third child she just like the names. What does everyone else think?

Annobel Sun 23-Oct-11 17:11:07

That reminds me of Titty, in Swallows and Amazons. If Arthur Ransome was writing now, I don't think he would use that name.

numberplease Sun 23-Oct-11 17:13:33

I can remember, years ago, reading that the actor, David Carradine, had named his son Free Seagull. I`ve often wondered what he called himself when he grew up!

gracesmum Sun 23-Oct-11 17:44:53

As a former secondary teacher I used to see "waves" of names which echoed what was on TV - Kylies and Jasons, to name but 2. And then there would be all the fantastic variations in spelling! Sharon/Sharron, Aaron/Aron, Chantal/Chantelle/Shontelle Kerry/Keri, Jonathan/Jonathon/Johnathon etc etc
I remember arranging to visit a -pupil- student on work experience who I assumed was a boy with an old-fashioned Biblical name - Elisha.
Yes, you've guessed it was a variation on "Alesha"which I suppose is a phonetic version of Alicia!!
I used to get frustrated at report writing time because if the little dear had been christened "Micheal", "Mathew" or (really) "Jacququeline" - that was how you had to spell it.
Oh for Pat, Ted, Bob, Sue, Janet and John!

em Sun 23-Oct-11 17:55:53

Yes - deliberate mis-spelling could be the bane of my life! How would you pronounce Callie. Wrong! That was yet another version of Kayleigh!

numberplease Sun 23-Oct-11 18:18:46

My daughter`s neighbour called her little boy Sean, but got annoyed when people pronounced it "wrongly", because she called him See-an! It caused all sorts of confusion at school.