Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What do you love about being a gran?

(67 Posts)
getmehrt Thu 21-Jul-11 13:27:17

For me, it's reading aloud. Rediscovering all those children's books I read with my own kids, and finding new and often much better ones.

Any other thoughts?

Nonnu Thu 27-Oct-11 19:36:23

Ahh so looking forward to doing all these things with my little grandson. I've only been a Gran for about 14 hours, so its all new to me.

kittylester Thu 27-Oct-11 19:45:00

As lots of you have said, seeing two of our daughters being really good mums and our son being a great father to two boys who had had a rubbish one. I fully expect youngest daughter (who is 26 weeks pregnant after 3 early miscarriages) to be a good Mum too (fingers crossed!)

On a slightly different note - my mum always said that you could tell if you had been a good Mum if your children were good parents! Not sure that's true because I don't think she was a particularly good Mum but it's obviously true for my children!! wink

riclorian Thu 27-Oct-11 20:22:13

What do I like about being a gran ? EVERYTHING ! Even the exhaustion after a long day with them .They are a never ending sourceof wonder to me , and I love them all to bits .

GrannyTunnocks Thu 27-Oct-11 20:45:50

I love everything but enjoy handing them back to their parents at the end of the day. My youngest granddaughter says she wants to stay at our house for ever and ever. The 2 in Switzerland, I love seeing them and doing things with them but miss them so much when we are not with them. My 10 year old stepgrandson told me that he liked me the first time he met me. He was 5 at the time.

kate1947 Fri 28-Oct-11 16:18:50

Seeing my Grandson smile and laugh and holding his arms out to be picked up, he is 18 months old and has just started saying yes and shaking his head when he doesn't want to do something! He is so gorgeous I want to eat him! Also when I say we are going out and he goes to get his shoes and mine

GoldenGran Fri 28-Oct-11 16:33:19

I love the utter trust they have in me,I only hope I never let them down! Ilove watching them getting hysterical with laughter long after the joke has worn off for the adults. They are scrummy! I confess I also love it when they have been here for a while, as in this week, and have gone home and I sit down in the evening to a drink with DH,with no noises off or disturbances!smile

silverfoxygran Fri 28-Oct-11 19:35:40

I love all of the above. When they're little it the cuddles and cuteness and when they're older it's the wonderful return to childhood - just spent the afternoon chewing bubble-gum and seeing who could blow the biggest bubble

nanamacatj Fri 04-Nov-11 13:29:19

Totally agree with all of the above comments, have only just found gransnet but I am hooked. My lovely 2 grown up kids have presented myself and GH with 5 babies in 5 years, quite an eye-opener, but we have survived and loving every minute. We are very fortunate that they all live locally so we see them several times a week, sometimes all at once which makes for some interesting mealtimes!! I consider myself very very lucky!!

tanith Fri 04-Nov-11 14:29:09

Having my eldest grandchildren all grown up and making their different ways in the world ring me up just to say 'how you doing Nan?' or to ask some advice about one thing or another and to know that they are growing into responsible and kind adults . Its nice knowing I can slip the reins and they will all take care of 'family' together.

tanith Fri 04-Nov-11 14:31:28

oh I also forgot to say how much I'm looking forward to the great grands..lol

elderflower1 Fri 04-Nov-11 16:14:36

Love everything about her but most of all I enjoy her hearty chuckle, she is just discovering humour. However today it is saying goodbye until next week - I am exhausted.

gulligranny Sun 06-Nov-11 15:49:52

The thing I love best is that four small people know me as "Grandma". My first marriage was childless but my second, 3 years ago when I was 63, has brought me not only 2 delightful (grown-up) step-children and their partners, but also four beautiful grandchildren. I have known them all since they were born - they are Henry (5) his sister Mary (3) and their cousins Megan (4) and Lucy (18 months). I couldn't love them more if they were physically mine; their trust in me as one of "their" adults humbles and awes me.

Oooh, I've gone all gooey and teary - apologies!

greenmossgiel Sun 06-Nov-11 15:57:55

gulligranny - you're obviously much loved by them all. It just about takes your breath away doesn't it, the love that you can feel for these little ones? Here's a lovely bunch of thanks to add to your joy! smile

Ariadne Sun 06-Nov-11 17:45:14

Love absolutely everything about it, but I have to say, my own children have really surprised me and made me proud in that they are such wonderful parents. I thought they'd be good but they have exceeded any expectations. (And that goes for the lovely ones they have married too!)

However, nothing like a pair of little arms round your neck, and "I love you Nannie." [sniff]

Dancinggran Sat 25-Feb-12 21:38:48

Watching my 7 year old GD on stage for the first time and singing her solo as Tiny Tm in Scrooge, my 5 year old GD saying "When you're really old - but not dead, you'll be my great, great grandma" (and other wonderful statements). Hearing my 2 year old GD and GS giggling as they hide behind the curtains and seeing the smiles of my 31/2 month GS, knowing he almost didn't survive at birth. I love all this and more, I feel so blessed and just wish my husband was here to share it all

Mishap Sat 25-Feb-12 21:58:06

What do I like about being a gran? - well, not a lot at the moment! It's 10pm.

SIL abroad, so DD has arrived to stay with 2 boys (3yrs and 4 months).

They have arrived with a tummy bug.

DD is throwing up like a good'un - last seen lying on toilet floor.

Baby lying in our bed - let's hope DD will be well enough to feed him when needed.

3 year old has just thrown up all through the bed he was sharing with DD - everything is covered - quilt, covers, pillows. electric blanket - no stone left unturned.

I have just spent half an hour trying to dry his noo-noo-bear with a hair-dryer, as we had to wash the sick off it.

Washing machine in overdrive.

Aged grandparents knackered and hoping OH does not get it, because of his PD meds. which will be thrown into chaos if he is sick

Off to bed now.

Family life eh!?

Ariadne Sat 25-Feb-12 22:01:58

Mishap (((hugs))) Hope you get some sleep!

Carol Sat 25-Feb-12 22:05:45

Mishap I hope that's over now and you can get a night's sleep thanks

digikidnan Sat 25-Feb-12 22:21:22

Aaahh Mishap! Good luck for tonight.

We too had a sick 20 month old in the week. Peaceful now, and duvet back from dry cleaners.

Good moments? Here's one: 2 year old looking back at our house as she walked up the path on the way home: 'I've had a lovely day at nanny's!'

Carol Sat 25-Feb-12 22:30:19

It's that vigorous squeeze round my neck with 3 year old arms, and the little body backing up on to my knee, book in hand for a story. Heaven smile

Maniac Sat 25-Feb-12 23:11:13

I am happy for you all but sad that I am denied all this with my 12 yr-old grandson.I would give anything for a hug,a smile or even a phone call.
Still I am looking forward to seeing my 11yr old grand-daughter in Macclesfield in 2 wks time.Have just booked my train ticket.On my last visit I was teaching her to knit and braiding her long blond hair.Now she is almost as tall as I am.

Hunt Sat 25-Feb-12 23:18:19

Getting a card from my GS which said''Dear Granny Happy Birhtday! I hope you have a great time spent with family and friends this year and for many more to come. I've had a lot of fun times with you and Grandpa at your house, the hut, and when we go out, like when we dressed up for Layer Marney. You have always been there whenever I have needed anything, like when you helped me with my Roman project in year 9(for which I got the best mark in the class thanks to your help) and inspired me to do history at GCSE which I really enjoyed. You gave me books and showed me all your world war two gear, which was always exciting to see. You always have something interesting to say and I am grateful for all the time I spend with you. Wishing you a wonderful birthday'Lots of love ,GS. Thank you for letting me share that with you . The best thing was he did it entirely without being prompted by a grown up.

digikidnan Sat 25-Feb-12 23:24:55

What a wonderful card!

pinkprincess Sun 26-Feb-12 00:05:15

When my youngest grandchild told me that''You are my bestest grandma''.There have been many other things about the others as well.
We were cut off from our oldest three grandchildren for two years after our son's divorce.When he finally got acess(sp) again I said to them ''I've missed you'' they said''We have missed you as well''.

glammanana Sun 26-Feb-12 00:57:30

pinkprincess how nice to hear you have your DGCs back in your life,I see my DDs DCs nearly every day and just yesterday when I was having one of my weekly nags at DGS1 aged 21 about the state of his bedroom,he patted me on the head and said "nanna you only nag at me because you love me" what can I say to that ? speachless !!!