Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents wanted

(34 Posts)
Guppie Thu 21-Jul-11 19:25:42

Hello all,

First sorry for the intrusion - I am a Mum not a Gran. But I'd appreciate your advice. We are a family in the Midlands with an infant-school age child.

We have no family nearer than 70 miles away, and the three grandparents all have physical/mental health/social issues that stop them being involved in our little one's life.

I feel she's missing out on so much - and so are we - by not having grandparents about. Everything from practical help to advice to just that special relationship. I hope we could provide family for someone older without people around too, it to be a 2 way thing.

So I am wondering whether we could "adopt" local "grandparents". But I don't know how or who. There would be all the potentially awkward bits of personality clashes or mismatched expectations.

I'd appreciate advice from those who've been around longer than us and might have some wisdom on this. Thank you.

Guppie Thu 11-Aug-11 17:02:18

Thanks again everyone. No, neither gay nor a yuppie ;)

No progress on the Adopt-a-Grandparent front.

nannymagic Thu 29-Aug-13 11:08:04

nannymagic Thu 29-Aug-13 11:25:36

I have searched many times in hope that I could find a site that would be able to let me communicate with a family that was missing the parent / grandparent closeness.

I am a parent myself. Though now this is to a grown up young man. Whom I love very very much.

I do however miss not having a daughter to spend time with, to share recipes and growing up experiences with and to chat on the phone. Grandchildren to entertain with my many years experience of being a childrens magician and watch their faces as they are amazed by the world around them, listen to their laughter and to watch them play. T enjoy picnics as a large family and Sunday dinner gatherings.

York is such a beautiful place to live and I would love to share this.

Is there any one out their that can help with my plight

ninathenana Thu 29-Aug-13 15:34:22

I don't know if they could help but maybe contact your local Age UK they may know someone who would love contact with a young family.

Eloethan Thu 29-Aug-13 18:29:29

If you search "Adopt a Granny", there seem to be several sites that relate to this issue. I can't vouch for any of them but it might be worth you having a (cautious) look.

Angegran Fri 29-Nov-13 16:03:35

Me too I live in Halifax west Yorkshire and looking for a family to adopt me . I have so much love to give . Good luck with your search x

HelenM Fri 07-Nov-14 21:48:26

Hi, I'm Helen and am looking for a nanny and/or grabdad for my 3 year old son and my son to be born in 2 weeks time. We live in High Wycombe in buckinghamshire.

My mother and sister have never been to high wycombe despite me having lived here for 3 years now. They are just not interested. My father lives in new zealand and ive seen him once in the last 25 years.

I used to have a wonderful relationship with my nan and have some lovely memories of playing in the garden, days out and special occasions. I feel that my sons are really missing out on what family offers snd it would be great not to be alone at christmas! So if you live anywhere nearby, please get in touch x

HelenM Fri 07-Nov-14 21:51:14

Oops...meant grandad*