Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

"Hands-on Gran" or "Hands off, Gran"

(33 Posts)
gracesmum Sat 15-Oct-11 17:42:33

Am I alone in thinking there is a very fine line between these two? I aspire to being a "Hands-on Granny" as I appreciated the help I often had from my mother-in-law when mine were young (although not when they were babies) and missed out on it from my own Mum was not really a "baby person"(!)
However it is hard isn't it to "keep Mum" at times and I vividly remember when my little grandson was crying and my daughter, who unfortunately at the time was subscribing to Gina Ford complained it was too early for his feed. I said "Oh why don't you just feed him" and got the reply "Mum, he's MY baby and I will decide when he gets fed"!!
So Grannies - are you hands on? Do you come up against "Hands off"??

maxgran Fri 28-Oct-11 11:40:45

I am lucky to have a daughter and son who let me prattle on about what is good or not good for their children. Sometimes I cannot help myself, although I do try to keep my mouth shut !
I think it depends on 'how' you say things.
Neither of my children have any problem with telling me to back off if they think I am wrong but mostly they just raise their eyes or laugh at me ! We all tend to be pretty blunt and not mince our words. I guess it would not be so good though, if one of them were sensitive or if I was !

Only yesterday, my daughter said to me 'Mum, how old do I have to get before you think I can make a right decision ??'

redblue Fri 28-Oct-11 15:01:41

Very interesting thread, I am a working mum missing my two little ones (almost 3 and 1 and a half). My parents dont see my little ones for various reasons connected with my childhood. It breaks my heart. I know they (my children) are missing out as well as my parents missing out but I feel powerless to change it. All I can say is anyone who makes a positive contribution to their grandchildren's lives is a real blessing both to their grandchildren and their own children (in supporting them as parents). They are so so lucky to have you.

kittylester Fri 28-Oct-11 15:09:29

maxgran I'm nearly 63 and my mother still doesn't think I am capable! smile

Annobel Fri 28-Oct-11 16:01:31

maxgran, you obviously have a great relationship with your children. I always felt, especially with my first, that he was prepared to treat me as a equal even when he was a toddler! Now they both (middle aged family men) treat me with healthy irreverence but I know there is affection and - somewhere deep down - respect behind it!

absentgrana Fri 28-Oct-11 16:11:27

How great to have the choice. My grandchildren live the other side of the world and I long to spend time with them. My daughter and son-in-law are desperate for Mr absent and I to emigrate so that we can all be together. She is hoping to study for a midwifery degree and won't be able to do that or work the kinds of hours required by such a job without an on-the-spot family member for childcare – there are four, soon to be five grandchildren. The other set of grandparents are lovely but don't live very close by and have lots of other grandchildren requiring their attention too, plus they both work full time. sad

yogagran Mon 31-Oct-11 20:50:39

That's really sad redblue - can you not consider trying to mend a few bridges somehow?

maxgran Tue 01-Nov-11 13:40:09

Kitty - Ha ha ! I will still be nagging my daughter if I am lucky enough to still be here when she is 63 !
I may criticise my son and daughter but I am careful not to say things infront of their husband/ wife. What is acceptable to my own kids would probably not be viewed very favourably by their partners.

Annobel,.. It never fails to surprise me, when my daughter or son have scoffed at me for saying something and then months or years later they come up with the same thing and claim it as their own discovery ! I DO have a great relationship with them both and I think its because I was a single parent for a big part of their childhood and were like a 'team' with me as the boss ( of course) ;-)