Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Long distance

(30 Posts)
baba Wed 15-Feb-12 10:56:59

There are lots of us whose grandchildren are not just round the corner, so every visit is a mixture of pleasure and pain. Am I alone in experiencing a feeling of utter desolation when we have to part till the next time? Of course, this includes parting from my children too.
We are all very close and I keep in touch by sending amusing cards and notes, texts and phone calls, but nothing can replace being with them.
I have a very busy life otherwise and lots of friends, but there's always the heartache.
Is it just me?

Greatnan Fri 20-Apr-12 12:39:35

My daughter in the UK has made it clear that she never wants to see me again, so I will have no qualms about emigrating to New Zealand, at the suggestion of the daughter who lives there . They probably will move to a place with more land and which is more isolated when the last two GC leave home, but my cabin can be put on a low-loader and transported - I have seen several on the move over there.
I am used to living in different countries and moving house very often and there won't be any language problems. I will miss my good friend, my sister and European architecture, but having paid two long visits to NZ I have fallen in love with the country. I will start to explore the Far East, snorkel on coral on South Pacific islands, and spend about six weeks a year in England and other countries of Europe.

Unlike most people, I love change. My sister has lived in the same house for 28 years and would be devastated if she had to leave - I couldn't bear to be in one place for all that time.

JessM Sat 21-Apr-12 11:56:34

Hope the birth goes well Gally - there is a nasty cough bug around, my MIL has had a bad chest infection and her 14 yr old grandson (very fit) has had pneumonia! Take care of yourself.

Butternut Sat 21-Apr-12 11:59:18

Have a good journey home, Jess. Been thinking of you.

suzy Tue 31-Jul-12 00:44:30

My 3 grandchildren are moving 300 miles away with my ex DIL. It will be so sad not to see them as much as i do now, but even worse for my son who is a great dad, and since his divorce 5 years ago has the children 2 nights in the week and every other weekend regulary. He is devastated. I know he will try to see them as much as he can, but it can never be the same as having them only live a few miles away. I hope in time he will cope with this but its heartbreaking at the moment. I am sure this has happened to a lot of familys and any advice would be welcome.