Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Long distance

(29 Posts)
absentgrana Wed 15-Feb-12 11:39:59

Of course it's not just you baba. I shall be seeing my daughter, son-in-law and two youngest grandchildren for the first time since the summer of 2010 next month. It will have been six years since I last saw the two elder grandchildren. We are all counting the sleeps. Saying goodbye a month later will be unbearably painful for all of us.

JessM Wed 15-Feb-12 11:08:37

Nope!

Mishap Wed 15-Feb-12 11:08:07

No - not just you baba.
Two of my GC live nearby and the other 3 are a fair distance away. Because of health problems here we do not see them as often as we would wish.
I am very conscious of the very different relationship I have with the 2 that I see frequently and with the others further away. And yes, there is heartache. I particularly feel for those whose GC are in another country and who see them very seldom. Thank goodness for Skype.

baba Wed 15-Feb-12 10:56:59

There are lots of us whose grandchildren are not just round the corner, so every visit is a mixture of pleasure and pain. Am I alone in experiencing a feeling of utter desolation when we have to part till the next time? Of course, this includes parting from my children too.
We are all very close and I keep in touch by sending amusing cards and notes, texts and phone calls, but nothing can replace being with them.
I have a very busy life otherwise and lots of friends, but there's always the heartache.
Is it just me?