Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

head slapping

(8 Posts)
harrigran Wed 22-Feb-12 11:08:51

My DD used to bang her head on the floor when she was a year old, I think she was frustrated at not being able to make herself understood, she turned out to have a very high IQ, and it settled down when she could ask for books etc.

bikergran Sun 19-Feb-12 09:13:59

Callumsgran yes we have had this with grandson (now 5) around about the same age..he started smacking his head..and also banging it backwards agains the sofa! not hard and not often but just now and again....when he started slapping his head..we were concerned, but what we did was just distract him with a toy/book/etc.....he didnt do if for too longs maybe about a couple of months..then it stopped as soon as it had started.....it seems that most have a go at this...smile

glassortwo Sat 18-Feb-12 21:13:46

I think yessss sorted that one and then they go off on to something else.

glassortwo Sat 18-Feb-12 21:12:51

greatnan you have hit the nail, on the head grin

Greatnan Sat 18-Feb-12 20:49:34

The first 48 years are the worst!

Zephrine Sat 18-Feb-12 18:41:18

...and just as you sigh with relief they think up another phase to drive you mad! smile

Carol Sat 18-Feb-12 18:06:37

Just an age thing - he'll grow out of it. Try having twin 2 year olds doing it! Lasted about 4/5 months then they started jumping on each other instead! You think it will never end at the time, and just as you realise how exasperated everyone is getting with your litle cherub, it stops.

Callumsgran Sat 18-Feb-12 17:47:55

My grandson, 23 months, a hitherto delightful very happy little boy has suddenly started started slapping himself and saying 'no' very forcibly for no apparent reason. Has anyopne else had this experience?
Also although he is very placid when I look after him three days a week when my daughter takes him to visit his contemporaries he goes wild and starts running around screaming (not in a distressed fashion) and leads his little friend astray!! She is getting very reluctant to take him anywhere. I think it is just because he is a very active little boy and he loves company of his own age. Any thoughts?