Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Nanna - now Special Guardian

(19 Posts)
chadsky Tue 25-Sep-12 10:44:02

I am now the Guardian for my lovely grandaughter, she is a two and a half year old whirlwind, and I love her to bits, but now the hard work, finding nursery education, making desiciions I never thought I would have to do again. and the systems are so complicated now, and the price is horrific for child care - ( I will have to return to work -part time - I have no choice even though there are two of us ) - are there any other grandparents out there who have negoiated this mine field would welcome the advice

Greatnan Tue 25-Sep-12 10:54:50

That is wonderful,Chadsky - we know how hard you have had to fight for this.

whenim64 Tue 25-Sep-12 10:56:09

Congratulations chadsky what a wonderful outcome after all your efforts. You will inspire other grans to keep going. Have you asked about child tax credits for help with childcare? They are really helpful in taking you through the process as childcare costs can fluctuate through the year. I hope you all have a very happy future together flowers

Butternut Tue 25-Sep-12 11:19:18

Oh that's marvellous chadsky. Delighted for you. sunshine

absentgrana Tue 25-Sep-12 11:51:03

Good news. What an achievement. After all the struggle, sorting out school places and childcare will prove to be a doddle. flowers

harrigran Tue 25-Sep-12 12:57:35

Congratulations chadsky flowers Do ask about entitlement to benefits.

glammanana Tue 25-Sep-12 13:04:36

Well done to you chadsky I would most certainly apply for chiild tax credits and child benefit allowance,if you are elegable for child tax credits I think you can get child care vouchers or similar (not to sure) I would certainly get in touch with an advisor who will point you in the right direction.flowers

Littlenellie Tue 25-Sep-12 13:28:36

hello chadsky and welcome to Gransnet ,I am and have been in the same position as you,with my granddaughter now being 13 .
I too have had to fight to get information and benefits that we are entitled too but are not widely advertised.
Firstly I noted the title of your thread as a "special guardian" which is maybe not widely known as being ordered through a family court and is one step under an adoption.....I am a special guardian with that distinction.
Presumably social services have place your granddaughter with you,has she been subject of a sect 17 or 47 order..I would approach social services and the social worker who dealt with your case and ask for a residency payment which is payable to special guardians...
child benefit there is also a guardians allowance paid with the CHB,there is a leaflet you can either google/download or get from inland revenue....neither are taxable" .
Child tax credit paid by inland revenue...based on your income,and working tax credit if you are working more than 24 hours a week can be paid if you are working....also providing you use registered child care you can claim up to 70% of child care costs on top during school holidays....
As I have said it has been a steep learning curve and if you would like to inbox I may be able to offer some more support or suggestions for you ....love xnellie

Littlenellie Tue 25-Sep-12 13:31:32

child tax credit and working tax credit can both be paid helping to boost your earnings..

Nanadogsbody Tue 25-Sep-12 13:51:46

I don't know your story chadsky ( new to GN) but offer you congratulations on what I imagine has been a long and painful journey flowers

kittylester Tue 25-Sep-12 14:31:25

chadsky flowers and no doubt you will need wine too!

glassortwo Tue 25-Sep-12 14:47:20

chadsky congratulations, sorting these financial issues out will be nothing to you, after the battles you have already won sunshine

NannaAnna Tue 25-Sep-12 20:54:40

chadsky I came across this the other day, and it may help to find out what benefits you may be entitled to: (The 'check available benefits' link)

https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk/portal/page/portal/ba/lp?_piref301_66309_301_66308_66308.__ora_navig=

nightowl Tue 25-Sep-12 21:15:49

Congratulations chadsky I am so happy for you. Are you getting a special guardianship allowance from the local authority? I hope this was looked at during the assessment - they have a duty to consider it.

Faye Tue 25-Sep-12 21:21:03

This is wonderful news chadsky. To think how close you were to losing your precious granddaughter, you must feel pretty good now. I really am happy for you. flowers

yogagran Wed 26-Sep-12 21:43:37

"Woo hoo" as the younger generation would say - well done chadsky. You must be really delighted

Ariadne Wed 26-Sep-12 21:47:15

So happy for you Chadsky and I'm sure you will find a way through the benefits minefield. sunshine

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Sep-12 09:43:05

My understanding is that of social services has made a placement with you and particularly if its done under court proceedings the SSD could be liable to pay support money. I have seen "warnings" in a department about not directly asking any relative to take a child, even in a temporary situation, in case the department became liable.

There was a charade about talking to a relative about about the plight of "little Jimmy" and his fall out with mum but you had to make sure that you did not directly ask the relative to take Jimmy, As it might then be seen as SSD having made the placement and the SSD might in future have to pay.

A degree of Blackmail goes on here. The best practice is that a child is best permanently placed with family. Many grandparents agree anyway because they love their grandchild but they can be left long term without extra financial support and would feel bad to demand payment to do this.

Good luck Chadsky try to follow up on littlenellies point.

chadsky Thu 27-Sep-12 10:01:55

Thanks to all my friends here on Gransnet, that knew the hard times We had while we were trying to get her - as has been said, at one point we came close to losing her to adoption, but We fought on, now apart from being a tad tired, I am really happy, * Nelliemosser* you are right, they have offered us a l*little support* but this is slow in materialising, depite numerous phone calls - still we will get there kittylester I will be in touch, it will be good to know someone who has gone through a similar thing * thanks to you all flowers flowers sunshine