Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

ADHD and Ritalin

(35 Posts)
lizzieb Tue 20-Nov-12 13:08:51

My very active 6 year old grandson has been diagnosed with ADHD, and suspected autism, though this is yet to be confirmed. He has been prescribed Ritalin. He can be very naughty at times, but is also very loving and cuddly. He can concentrate for hours on a laptop, or DS - though this is severely restricted when he comes to us. He has three existences. He spends one day each weekend at his mum's, who is a troubled soul leading an impoverished existence, and with doubtful choice of boyfriend. The last one, who is the father of my grandson's half sister, has just been sentenced to 18 months imprisonment for domestic violence. (Not against my grandson's mum). I know he has seen violence when he lived with her. He now lives with my son and his partner, and he is the love of their lives. He has accepted my son's partner as his 'second mum' and all is well there.
He is exceptionally bright, but can often be very wilful. I know school find him a handful, but they are brilliantly supportive to my son and his partner. He spends a lot of time with me and grandad, where he gets undivided attention, and tends not to be so naughty when with us.

Has anyone any idea of the difference between plain naughty, and ADHD? The fact that he can concentrate on doing something he loves for hours makes me doubt the diagnosis.

I am also horrified at the prescription of Ritalin. I can't bear the thought that this bright little chap should be sedated.

Thanks for reading this. I would so appreciate your views.

FlicketyB Tue 11-Dec-12 20:09:41

Not all children with ADHD or dyspraxia need special education, only those at the extreme end. It has been suggested that the more relaxed, and at times, chaotic child rearing patterns that are more common now can contribute to the growth in the number of children with ADHD. I do think the more formal teaching methods and discipline of my childhood helped me even though I was always being castigated for being 'Fidgetty Phil who can't sit still'. I also swung between lack of concentration and hyper concentration so was constantly in trouble for not concentrating or not listening.

Having a clear frame work around me at home and at school within which I was expected to operate did mean I developed a lot of strategies for channelling my chaotic mind in to some sense of order, which have served me well through life. How I would have coped if my exterior environment had been very relaxed or chaotic I do not know, very badly is my instinct.

JessM Wed 12-Dec-12 08:51:30

I was thinking the other day about a small group of extremely bright men I have known. Professors. Still rather manic after all these years. I wonder if they would have been diagnosed as ADHD when they were in school. But it hadn't been invented then.
A child I know, with a history of dyslexia in the close family, was doing very badly in primary school, getting labelled as one of the naughty boys, failing to start reading etc. Active little boy who did not seem to engage easily on a verbal level but if you offered to chase him... Eventually parents got him assessed and diagnosed - an auditory processing problem. He was having a lot of trouble understanding what teacher was saying. He is in a different school now, kept back a year as he was very young in year and now thriving. Chatty, reading well etc

sdfgewiuohsdf Fri 14-Dec-12 13:23:05

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jodi Fri 14-Dec-12 13:39:47

Reported

ihbsdfjk Sat 15-Dec-12 03:00:24

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glassortwo Sat 15-Dec-12 07:35:31

Done

LullyDully Wed 30-Jan-13 17:17:43

It sounds to me like this boy has a very confusing life. It must be hard for him to work out quite what is expected of him and by whom. ADHD may just be a symptom of this confusion.

Having taught in a special school for many years, often the children with ADHD were from chaotic backgrounds. Ritalin can help only with true ADHD otherwise it will not touch the behaviour.

Children with ADHD can be very hard to contain indeed and need help to prevent them 'bouncing off the walls' and to help them concentrate.

I would say thet if he can behave with you, he is responding to your firm, clear boundaries. He needs to have consistency in his life. So maybe not ADHD but adult inflicted confusion....poor boy, life will be hard for him.

kidscansucceed Sun 07-Apr-13 17:49:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Eloethan Mon 08-Apr-13 00:27:39

lizzieb I can't understand why so many children are being diagnosed as having ADHD and being prescribed Ritalin. I think it's worth exploring whether there are other factors that might be influencing his hyperactivity. I always think it's better not to start taking a drug unless it's absolutely necessary.

All children can be naughty at times and quite often children these days have more challenges to deal with (smaller houses/less space to play at home, blended families, etc.). You say he is reasonably well behaved when he is with you - and that you restrict his time on the computer. Is he playing games on the computer at his home? Computer games can get people very wound up and on edge, particularly if they're played for a long time and not interspersed with other activities.

Is he getting enough fresh air, outdoor play (to release physical energy) and plenty of sleep? Is there plenty of "quiet" time at home - or is the TV on constantly in the background or on too loud?

You say he's witnessed violence in the past, so his being a "handful" at school might be related to that. Has there been any input from a child psychologist or, for instance, any offers of play therapy?

As petra said, there are some good books out there - it might be worth having a look in the library.