Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Give us your tips on becoming a new grandparent and win a lovely personalised baby gift set

(55 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Jun-13 10:51:06

The birth of the royal baby in mid-July <sounds fanfare> will be Carole and Michael Middleton's and Charles and Camilla's inauguration into grandparenthood. What tips would you give them?

What has experience of the first grandchild taught you? Anything you wished you'd known beforehand? How did you deal with your children becoming parents?

The gransnetter who gives the best tip (as judged by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall - author of The Good Granny Guide: Or How to Be a Modern Grandmother and our Good Granny Guide section) will win a Royal Range gift set from My 1st Years. This gorgeous gift set is embroidered with a gold HRH crown and will be personalised with your grandchild's name. The set includes a bodysuit, sleepsuit, hat and bib, all made from high quality cotton, as well as a soft fleece blanket and luxurious pair of HRH sheepskin booties. The set is beautifully packaged in a blue My 1st Years gift box.

You can read our T&Cs for competitions here.

Please post your answers on this thread. The competition will close on 5 July and the winner will be picked shortly after. We'll announce the winner on this thread and the Won Anything? thread.

(This competition is featured on: ThePrizeFinder - UK Competitions - ABCWin - Competition Hunter)

annemac101 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:39:48

The best advice I can give to new grandparents is to remember that it is your grandchild and not your child. You have to allow the parents to parent their own child without interfering. Be there with advice if asked for it,times change and so do thoughts on feeding,sleeping etc.
Be the fun person your grandchild looks forward to seeing and being with. Write a journal with all the things you do with your grandchild during a visit,things they say to you and what milestones they have reached. I have written letters in a journal to my granddaughter from when she was born,it is a pretty book and I'll give it to her when she is older, I know she'll love reading about what we did together. Most importantly,enjoy your grandchild, you get all the best bits and get to hand them back to mum and have a well earned rest.

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:40:03

grin You've gotta laugh. Does Gransnet actually read any of the threads?!

nightowl Fri 21-Jun-13 12:04:42

I'm in Nelliemoser's darkened room. La la la la (eyes closed fingers in ears) and NO I don't want any royal tat thanks very much. I'm sure granny and granddad Middleton can work it out for themselves grin

nightowl Fri 21-Jun-13 12:07:27

But that's a lovely post annemac. I'll take my old grumpy self off back to the darkened room.

bluebell Fri 21-Jun-13 12:30:07

For goodness sake HQ - do you really want to alienate all the really intelligent posters? Have I wandered into an online version of Woman's Realm? Look what you've made me do - be provocative which is so unlike me ....goes off sobbing....

whenim64 Fri 21-Jun-13 12:39:32

A Royal Range Gift Set??? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, thanks all the same! grin

Gally Fri 21-Jun-13 12:56:37

Come, come ladies, not all Gransnetters are anti Royalist. I wouldn't particularly want to win this prize - possibly something to do with taste - but let those who want to, post on this thread without being made to feel 'unintelligent' or inferior.

bluebell Fri 21-Jun-13 13:24:02

Oh come on Gally - this is a jokey thread as my post made clear - for heavens sake!!! Pretend I'm J08

whenim64 Fri 21-Jun-13 13:26:58

No intention to imply unintelligence, Gally Some of us are republicans and some royalists. There are things I enjoy and others don't see the point - dogs, for example.

bluebell Fri 21-Jun-13 13:31:03

When - to be fair to Gally I did bring in the word intelligent but it was a joke - cant we laugh about our differences sometimes when it's about something so Ruritanian? I'm not making fun if someone's faith - oh hang on a minute - is royalism a belief system? Well quite frankly, any system which believes in a right to rule based on the accident of birth is clearly not rational - and that's not a jokey comment.

styles5433 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:56:59

I just think..... You know what, from my experience, inside I am sixteen although my body gives away my real age, I treat my grand child as I treated my own child. Make life exciting. Make everyday count. Whether it is making dens in the garden or jumping fully clothed in giant puddles and soaking ourselves, or cooking up weird and wonderful baking catastrophies. All memories sould be held precious to them as we remembered these wonderful times in our own childhoods . I say love them and make their lifes full of fun and enjoyment. I think our royal princess or prince will have this as they have young and fun-loving parents who will influence the royal grannies and grand dads!!

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 20:55:29

bluebell grin Be fair. Without the posters Gransnet would be more like Good Housekeeping mag. A very thin version at that!

rosemary55 Fri 21-Jun-13 20:59:37

Just be there when needed, and make the most of every precious moment !

jeanpea Sat 22-Jun-13 14:41:04

It's a Grannies privilege to spoil her grandchildren. Spend time with them, giving them all your attention. Let them help you with cooking, then help you wash-up afterwards, the cleaning by giving them a duster & coffee table to dust, helping you in the garden, washing the car. Let them get dirty then let them have fun in the bath. It doesn't take money - just your love, patience & time. Always have a smile & sometimes a treat.

kittylester Sat 22-Jun-13 21:00:44

Wait to be asked!

TracyKNixon Sun 23-Jun-13 15:46:56

With a new grandchild on the way, it's tempting to go on a shopping spree. But before you do, ask your son/daughter what they need, what they don't want so no money wasted!

Also, no matter how many kids you raised or how they turned out, your adult child and his or her spouse or partner are now in charge of the childrearing. So be cautious about offering opinions or advice unless asked directly. And even then, tread lightly and express yourself gently!

goose1964 Sun 23-Jun-13 17:08:32

my advice is to let your son/daughter ask when they want or need help or guidance - don't foist it on them

adrisco Sun 23-Jun-13 17:50:50

Just be there. Offer help but do not advise and do not interfere. And keep calm when the other grandma is there - note to self - just breathe!

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 18:28:50

I am now unlikely to have any more grandchildren so won't make any effort to win this prize. Of course, sometime in the next 5 - 10 years I am likely, so GD1 tells me, to have a great grandchild. Oh, never mind!

compy99 Sun 23-Jun-13 18:57:35

I am in this situation, our 1st Grandbaby is due in September. My main tip is to liaise with your Daughter/Son into colour schemes, themes etc, so if you want to buy items they will match colour wise. Also make sure you buy the basic (not so pretty and cute) items that are essential but can be overlooked.

allybruce Sun 23-Jun-13 19:13:22

Offer advise only when asked! Bite your tongue the rest of the time!

leiajulie Sun 23-Jun-13 19:31:43

always respect the parents choices as you are grandparents not the parents but still able to offer tips

dragon60 Sun 23-Jun-13 22:51:35

What new parents desparatly need is sleep, so if you have the time, swoop in let Mum go to bed, you offer to listen out for baby, change nappies etc.,- this is not a time for sitting down cuddling. Now while Mum catches a few zzzzzzzzzzzs, you need to wash the dishes, put the washing on, do the ironing, prepare dinner. Much easier with your own daughter, than daughter in law, so maybe for DIL drop off dinner ready to be heated and offer to take away washing. Do make your own drink and make sure you leave the home tidier than when you arrived. It is really important for those first tiring days and weeks to let mum and dad parent and you do the practical boring stuff. Fun comes much later, in bucket loads along with lashings of love, hugs and kisses.

twinklenicci Mon 24-Jun-13 10:03:17

dont buy stuff YOU like !! ask the parents to be what they actually like , sometimes the generation gap shows different items are liked and both parties end up being upset