Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Gift suggestions..

(11 Posts)
tanith Sat 07-Sep-13 12:29:21

Finally I'm going over to meet my newest grandson Louis, things just got problematic and complicated but I'm going early next month YAY!! and I want to take something for him..
I've already given them some money for him and sent a box of things I knitted for the Winter , they've said he has enough clothes to last another year so any suggestions of what I could take for him? He'll be 14wks by the time I go so a toy perhaps?
come on inspiration please?

annsixty Sat 07-Sep-13 13:45:31

You do not say tanith how often you will see your GS but if it is not very often,although he is very young now, I would suggest one gift may be a large framed photograph of you which he will grow up looking at and when slightly older he can be encouraged to say Goodnight to. My GS went overseas at 8 weeks old and came back at 3 years but at least he recognised my face and knew all about me.

janeainsworth Sat 07-Sep-13 14:25:11

Tanith
I love Brio toys and this stacking clown is my favourite www.briotoy.co.uk/p/stacking-clown?pp=12

If you like music and want your grandson to enjoy it too this is a fabulous CD, nursery rhymes played in a folk-song sort of way. my children had the LP and I've bought the CD for lots of new babies smile

www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Favourite-Nursery-Rhyme-Record/dp/B003334SJ0

And these muslin blankets from Natural Baby shower are gorgeous www.naturalbabyshower.co.uk/shop-by-brand/aden-anais/aden-anais-muslin-swaddling-blankets-jungle-jam-2-pack.html

Hope you have a wonderful time with Louis and the family sunshine

sunseeker Sat 07-Sep-13 14:42:57

When my brother emigrated many years ago I gave his young son a teddy bear - he is now married with teenage children of his own, but still has the teddy bear! (When his wife is annoyed with him she uses one of his ties to "hang" teddy) grin

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time and the holiday will be over far too soon.

tanith Sat 07-Sep-13 14:49:19

Oh thanks ladies some brilliant ideas already , I'm only going for a week and my guess is I'll only see him once or twice each year.. wishing it may be more often..
I knew you'd have better ideas than me ..grin

tanith Sat 07-Sep-13 15:00:38

I've ordered the nursery rhyme CD thanks so much for the idea jane.. I'll keep checking back though..

gillybob Sat 07-Sep-13 15:02:55

I love the Lamaze range of toys tanith They are always beautifully colourful and extremely well made. We have several at home and they have been passed down from the eldest who is 7 down to the youngest who is 3. They are still as good as new.

I am sure you will find something here. www.lamazetoys.co.uk smile

Ariadne Sat 07-Sep-13 17:37:27

My DDiL's family has a tradition of giving each new baby a Harrod's teddy bear it has the store name printed on its foot. I was a bit dubious when she introduced it into our family, but parents love it, (because it seems special) and so do the children as they get older. Just a thought.

tanith Fri 13-Sep-13 19:11:00

Thankyou for some lovely ideas..

Wheniwasyourage Fri 13-Sep-13 22:32:54

Do you still need ideas? What about some books? Something like The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson, or Green Eggs and Ham by Doctor Seuss. They can both be read to very young babies and are easy to get to know, so that before long a sleep-deprived parent can "read" them with eyes closed! They also appeal to toddlers and over, so have a long life.

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 22:55:52

You could take that idea one step further, by making a recording of you reading some stories or nursery rhymes?