Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

have you had to sort of take over the role of Grandad.due to varied circumstances.

(3 Posts)
bikergran Thu 12-Dec-13 15:56:11

I'm sure there are many grans that have done this..not I think grans have one role and granddads have a different...role..as in boys/girls toys etc . It has crossed my mind many a time and again this morning as GS wants to get the suitcase of Lego out as he is staying with me tonight, (well that was the plan this morning but could change by 5pm lol)
So it looks like I am in for a "Construction " night tonight and it got me thinking about how little OH (granddad) has done and missed out on and GS missed out also, in my case dues to Ill health.

OH was ill long before GS came along and never had any patience with him when he was a baby, yes he fed him a biscuit now n then and sat on grass with him and looked at a book, but that was about all he could mange due to failing health. I have always been the one to take him swimming/play in garden/football/ play with toys garages/watch videos postman pat etc etc .. taking him to local place with fishing net, washed the car, you get the pictured now that he is into Lego and it is I who sits down with him and constructs garages, spaceships/cars/planes/buildings at the same time making tea, multi tasking etc.Grandad cannot build lego as his eyesight is failing and his hands shake . Of course his mum and step dad play with him (when he goes to his dads his dad does very little with him) but that's another story.But I wonder if they do miss out especially boys doing "boys" stuff. I know GS doesn't even think like I do as children just accept it as an everyday occurrence. Are there any other grans who take over the role of granddad either through ill health or perhaps bereavement or some relationship breakdown.

JessM Thu 12-Dec-13 16:06:36

Both my grandfathers and my dad were dead before I was five so although it would have been nice to have them around I grew up expecting women to do everything. My DS is estranged from my ex and the other granddad has died. I am happy to play cars or cricket with my to grandchildren when I get the chance. But my GS at has a dad around to take him fishing smile

Children who have all their parents and grandparents around and fit enough to do stuff with them are very lucky

bikergran Thu 12-Dec-13 16:12:23

oh yes JessM I enjoy playing lol especialy with boys toys s...lol I always say I should have been a boy as I love/cars.tools etc not keen on the fishing!! I never wanted dollies etc I wanted guns/cars...so yes do enjoy playing with his toys lol..and lego!!! well it's heaven smile

And I have made sure he has been football clubs/sport etc (although not sporty myself) he goes to his dads, and I'm afraid it's "oh I've got new game for Xbox" (that's his dad speaking)!! hmm never "oh Ive got you new football or cricket set"

Ok well !! lets see what we can construct tonight grin