Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

2 year old not talking!

(50 Posts)
Speldnan Fri 20-Dec-13 13:23:42

My GS is 2 and doesn't really say any words. He understands everything you say to him and manages to let you know what he wants by pointing grunting etc. He occasionally will say odd words like 'bear' or 'moon' but that's about it! I'm sure there is no problem with his speech, he was 5 weeks prem and very late walking, but wondered if any other grans have GC who don't say much yet!

Gally Sat 18-Jan-14 22:19:17

GS age 3 and a half, can have an almost adult conversation. I find it very disconcerting. He can watch a programme on TV and then repeat it almost word for word. His brother, 2 and a half talks complete gobbledygook, very loudly, all the time, but you know exactly what he means because of the intonation. I think he just lets big brother get on with it and I have no doubt that one day he will speak just as clearly - just biding his time!

BAnanas Sat 18-Jan-14 23:27:55

My youngest son, aged 23 and living with us since he graduated, never seems to shut up, I mean that in the nicest possible way, because I really enjoy our conversations, but sometimes feel I can't get a word in. However, he didn't speak when he was 2. He didn't walk until 16 months either, I remember moaning to my mother about that saying something like "I am wondering if he will ever walk" she replied with you didn't walk till you were 18 months, that shut me up! Again like other posters, he had repeated problems with glue ear and had two sets of grommets inserted during early childhood. I remember the first three words he put together "big red bus" he was almost 3. My granddaughter was probably talking in short sentences well before she was 2.

FunToTalk Sat 22-Mar-14 05:48:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

whenim64 Mon 07-Jul-14 19:51:08

Milestone day today. My 2.3/4 year old grandaughter has been having speech therapy as her speech is delayed and all we've heard is babble and the odd tiny word that never gets repeated. Her twin sister never shuts up. However, toay at her speech support group she said 'there you go, mummy' in context and without prompting. Mummy in tears! grin

rosequartz Mon 07-Jul-14 20:04:23

smile whenim, a milestone to remember! Lovely.

sparkygran Mon 07-Jul-14 20:47:44

My youngest son now in his forties didn`t talk until nearly 3 he pointed, grunted and made his wishes known and it was my Grandmother who observed all this and then said to me that my daughter his older sister did all his talking for him and I remember talking to her and asking her not to talk for him and very quickly he started talking and has never looked back he`s a PhD Hons hope this is helpful.

whenim64 Mon 07-Jul-14 21:02:56

sparkygran her twin sister wouldn't know how to wait for her sister to speak if her life depended on it grin. My daughter is also a twin and at this age her sister spoke on her behalf but it didn't stop her speaking, too. This little one's delay appears to relate to her being born 10 weeks early, but thankfully she's a healthy little girl and is catching up nicely now. smile

Galen Mon 07-Jul-14 21:09:38

My 8/12 DGD isn't babbling! She vocalises and 'clicks'
I'm wondering if we Xhosa in our ancestry?

kittylester Tue 08-Jul-14 07:32:21

That's lovely when smile

We were worried about DGS2 and is going for a hearing test this week. He suddenly announced 'I did it' to a chorus of relieved sighs1

whenim64 Tue 08-Jul-14 07:56:50

We're all pleased as punch to see progress. When SiL got in from work, he sat down next to little grandaughter, who was engrossed in her book, and said 'now you're becoming articulate, perhaps you'd like to explain yourself, young lady.' She replied 'ee-i-ee-i-oh!' grin Little steps!

Iam64 Tue 08-Jul-14 08:04:31

great news When. Speech is such an important milestone, and with little ones who were born so early, I imagine everyone is counting the milestones.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jul-14 08:39:43

Whenim That is good news. It does sound like her twin has been talking for her.

Lona Tue 08-Jul-14 08:59:40

when you'll need some earplugs now! grin

vegasmags Tue 08-Jul-14 09:58:13

Excellent news when and it must be a great relief.

whenim64 Tue 08-Jul-14 10:02:12

Yes, earplugs may well be needed. She just said 'violin.' I think we're away now, at last. I won't report every utterance, I promise, but I'm just so delighted smile

rosequartz Tue 08-Jul-14 10:10:39

Realised DGD2 (nearly the same age as when's) was asking for a 'rogurt'. Tried to get her to say 'yogurt' - y y y yogurt. She said y y y rogurt!! Did say it properly the third time though.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jul-14 10:14:50

When Are her parents going to have to explain to the talkative twin that her sister needs to be able to get a word in edgeways.

Get them to take it in turns using a kitchen timer, two minutes each!
I can see why you are all so relieved.grin

grandma60 Tue 08-Jul-14 19:49:30

Lovely news When. I can imagine how you are feeling. sunshine

whenim64 Wed 09-Jul-14 12:12:31

Nellie the talkative twin doesn't understand the concept of taking turns to talk, or of sharing yet. They were here yesterday for lunch and by the time they went home, my ears were bleeding from the constant nattering from Miss Chatterbox! grin

felice Wed 09-Jul-14 12:37:45

As per previous posts, DGS age now 2year 5 months is not a great talker, we were concerned and asked his peadiatrician, a very nice German man, he was not at all concerned as DGS is Bi-lingual with Dutch on the side!!
He is now getting on pretty well and can make himself understood in Frnech and English quite well.
I don't remember any friends at school being unable to speak and XBIL problems were also cured by grommets.
Sorry for any spelling mistakes DGS has gone off with my glasses, into his tent under the dining table !!!! if he expects me under there he will wait a long time.

whenim64 Tue 22-Jul-14 15:59:01

I promised not to go on about her progress, but this lunchtime my little grandaughter waved and said 'bye-bye nan' as I was heading towards the door. First time she's called my name and unprompted - more moist eyes for me and mummy smile

sparkygran Tue 22-Jul-14 16:20:18

So happy for you When flowers

ninathenana Tue 22-Jul-14 16:37:00

That's great When

My special needs DGS is 2.4 and now has a vocabulary of approximately 40 signs but much to everyone's surprise and delight can now make himself understood quiet well verbally too. Unfortunately he does like to repeat the same word over and over, especially DS name (uncle) grin

whenim64 Tue 22-Jul-14 16:52:04

40 signs is impressive, nina. Our little one has been learning signs but is better with the picture cards she's been given. She's a dab hand at fishing out what she wants and running to her mum, who obliges and tells her the word, which she knows but rarely repeats.