Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son won't let me see my grandchildren

(16 Posts)
Skyler Thu 13-Feb-14 17:25:27

Hi, I'm new on here so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'd appreciate some advice if anyone's been in a similar position....

My husband and I divorced over 20 years ago. Our youngest son since then has played one off against the other. He is now married with two beautiful grandchildren who have stayed with me very often since they were both babies. I love them dearly. Their father is constantly blackmailing both me and my ex-husband, saying if we don't pay his debts, mortgage etc. we can no longer see the children. He has never had a job, his dad and I have both worked our socks off. Giving money never changes anything.
It came to a head this week, he said he wanted us out of his life because neither of us would give him the £2K he said he needed. Now he has said neither of us can see the kids. I don't know what to do. I've tried to help, tried to talk to his wife but she will not go against his wishes. He is a bully and even though he's my son, sometimes I think he's not very nice. I worry that he will irreparably damage my precious relationship with my young grandchildren. Any advice? I'm at my wits end. Thank you x

wisewoman Thu 13-Feb-14 17:37:04

That sounds awful Skyler There is a thread on here called "Cut Out of Their Lives" and lots of people there have similar stories. You may be some advice there. You will certainly get lots of support! It so so difficult when you are held to ransom. flowers

KatyK Thu 13-Feb-14 20:42:33

Skyler - How awful for you. As wisewoman says, the 'cut out of their lives thread' on the Am I Being Unreasonable forum may help you.

janerowena Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:28

How awful, it sounds as if you have outlived your usefullness to him. It's blackmail, don't give in, there will be something else he will need from you at some point.

Aka Thu 13-Feb-14 22:17:30

That's heartbreaking Skyler thankfully I'm not in that position, but there are others who are and as wisewoman says perhaps they can support you.

Mishap Thu 13-Feb-14 22:38:01

I am sorry to her this sad tale. I really do not know what you can do. It truly is blackmail and using his children in this way is unacceptable - it must hurt to think that it is your own son doing these things.

As other have said, your best bet would be to look at the threads above where others in a similar situation may be able to advise.

Skyler Mon 17-Feb-14 14:49:59

Thank you so much for all your replies. I'll take a look at threads you've mentioned. x

Skyler Mon 17-Feb-14 17:26:33

The thread seems to be closed now - over 1000 responses to the original post so that tells me I'm not alone. My heart goes out to anyone in this situation. Mine's got a little worse; he's now threatening to write to my beautiful 2nd husband and as he put it 'tell him what sort of bitch he married', ditto to my ex-husband's wife. It seems he will stop at nothing to hurt me or his dad, just for saying no to giving him yet more money. I hate that my little gc's are being brought up in such a poisonous atmosphere. Maybe the best thing I can do is not respond to him and just make sure the kids know I'm always there for them. Always.

Marelli Mon 17-Feb-14 17:36:27

Have a look at the thread 'Cut out of their lives 2', Skyler? This is a thread that is on the go all the time, and the posters are really supportive of each other. It's a nightmare for you, without a doubt.

Marelli Mon 17-Feb-14 17:37:19

Just adding this bit - it's on the Active threads. You'll find it easily.

Ariadne Mon 17-Feb-14 17:38:25

There is another thread, *Skyler" - you have to restart after 1000 posts! It is called "Cut out of thier lives" - yes, there is a spelling mistake!

There is also a very good, positive one about being cut off yet trying to move on, but I'll have to look for it. Someone else may get there first in the search.

Meanwhile, we are all with you, empathising and offering a listening ear. x

Iam64 Mon 17-Feb-14 19:03:46

Skyler - Is there anyone who could act as mediator? You'll have seen from the other threads that unfortunately, a number of posters have relationships with adult children that have broken down. If that can be avoided, it's probably the best solution for all of you. There are some charities that could help you communicate. Pro Contact is based in Gtr Manchester, and it's probably similar organisations are available near you. The Family Rights Group has a very helpful website. Good luck with this.

ninathenana Tue 18-Feb-14 09:44:23

Skyler Just sending you and all those in similar situations a cyber ((hug)) a very sad story.

sunseeker Tue 18-Feb-14 10:12:08

I always hesitate to comment on these threads as I have no children of my own but your son threatening to write to your husband and your ex's wife sounds like a child having a tantrum for not getting his own way. I am sure your husband wouldn't give any credence to such a letter so I wouldn't worry about that. I certainly wouldn't give in to the blackmail but understand your worries about your gc. Do look at the thread mentioned as you will find other GNs in the same situation and who can give you a lot of support.

glammanana Tue 18-Feb-14 11:18:27

Skyler So sorry to hear of your problems with your son,it certainly does sound as mentioned above like "stamping feet syndrom" more in line with a 3 yrs old not getting their own way ? Ignore his threats regarding letters and just put any correspondence from him in the bin and don't upset your self reading it same for you xhubby and his new wife,he will make contact once he realizes he is getting no where & if he doesn't keep the door open for his wife and your relationship with her. flowers

tattynan Thu 20-Feb-14 19:40:10

Keep your chin up Skyler. Your grandchildren know you are super.Hope things improve for u soon.