Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New granny

(3 Posts)
Dragonfly1 Fri 28-Mar-14 22:26:00

There is no other love quite like it, is there? Enjoy every minute and don't worry. It's a bit like falling in love - all-consuming to begin with, till you get used to how it feels! I wish you joy with your new granddaughter.

Ariadne Fri 28-Mar-14 21:27:13

Isn't being a grandmother the most wonderful thing? I can hear your joy, su.

But you know that she isn't your baby, however much you adore her, don't you? One of the things we have often discussed on GN is this fine line we tread, learning when to keep our mouths shut and being very sensitive to our new mums' needs and worries, and knowing when to step back.

I wonder if your relationship with your own parents is making you afraid that somehow you will end up like that with your DD? There is absolutely no reason why this should be so - you seem to be a thoughtful and caring person. Try to let the fear go.

And enjoy every minute of being a gran!

sufuller Fri 28-Mar-14 21:20:26

I have been a granny to Martha for 9 weeks and I have never felt love like it before. It is different from the love I feel for her mum, my daughter, or my son or my husband. I am on the verge of becoming obsessed with her. My relationship with my own parents is not good - to the point that they don't know of Martha's existence. I am feeling too happy and I worry that something is going to happen to stop me seeing my beautiful granddaughter. At the moment I see her most days but my daughter is becoming more confident and I feel so sad on the days we don't meet up. My daughter is married to a lovely man and I am so happy for them. Can anyone help me?