Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

family split up

(43 Posts)
Kate13 Sun 18-May-14 21:51:25

Hi anyone out there? Haven't been on here for a while but tonight I'm hurting so badly for my son. His wife has moved out and they have a four year old son, who they are "sharing". My son's been on the phone in tears because he can't see his child when he wants to.(They have prescribed days). It means he's trapped and can't move away or change job. If anyone out there read my "divorce" thread about six months ago, this is the ongoing story. Any advice appreciated. If I'm honest I'm fed up with the unhappiness. My husband won't talk about it and "has no interest " in a wailing son who wants to cry to his mummy". My son is 36 so not a baby.

JessM Sun 22-Jun-14 07:27:24

You never really know what is going on in these circumstances and it takes a long time for both parties to sort out their lives. It is very important to keep a good relationship with your DIL so try to be kind to her. She will have lots of mixed up feelings that she does not know how to deal with.
It reminded me of something that happened years ago. The background to this is that after I left my abusive first husband he harassed the hell out of me for about a year, trying to get me back. Tried everything to get me back from badgering me into couples counselling to death threats. Upset my kids, threatened to hit my stepfather, made his mother's life miserable etc etc
About 10 years later I was at a social event. I noticed that a woman kept staring at me. After several hours she cornered me and revealed that while all that carnage was going on, he was seeing her! Met my 7 yr old son even.
She was really fascinated to meet me! Always wanted to know what I looked like etc Wanted to be my new best friend!
With the benefit of distance I found this rather entertaining. But it just goes to show that even if you are closely involved, you never know what is really going on.

Lona Sun 22-Jun-14 07:59:56

Kate I can't really add to the wise advice you've been given. I would most certainly keep as neutral as possible, listen to them both and try to keep a good relationship with your dil.
I dread being in this situation, we never know what's in the future.
flowers

Grannyknot Sun 22-Jun-14 12:26:39

kate you've had so much good advice on here. All I can add is that my son and I are also very close, and he is the same age as your son. My husband will also sometimes make a comment in similar circumstances (although he doesn't get angry and wouldn't say "crybaby", he'd probably say something like "he needs to man up") but when I explain to him about why I'm doing it and about feeling as if I am "piggy in the middle" and how much it upsets me being pulled from pillar to post between the two of them, he is much more understanding and will usually give me a hug or a touch to let me know we're okay. So I suppose I'm saying - instead of being defensive, does your husband know what it is like for you, his wife?

And secondly (quite important this for me) every now and again when my husband tells me I am getting over involved and need to step back a bit - he is usually right.

This never happens with my daughter by the way.

I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight, there is nothing worse than not sleeping because you are worried about one of your children.

flowers

ninathenana Sun 22-Jun-14 15:56:25

Kate13 have pm'd you.

Kate13 Sun 22-Jun-14 23:30:01

Today has been a misery. After the big row last night there was another this morning.All in front of DGS.I'm desperately trying to stay non judgemental and I can see how angry DiL is. She is, incidentally, "seeing someone" from an online dating site. Everything is illogical.One rule for her, one for DS. Then comes the bombshell that she doesn't want them to separate after all. This is just surreal. I don't know how to react. Worrying won't help so perhaps a large G&T or six is the answer confused

Purpledaffodil Mon 23-Jun-14 12:54:46

Hope the G and T (s) did the trick! I can't really add to all these wise words you have been given except to say that from observation of my three offspring and what I hear about their friends'lives, relationships are very very different now. Expectations are much higher than they were too which makes it harder for people of both sexes to make decisions. I have two DS and 1 DD so I do see things from both gender viewpoints. It is so much worse when there is a child involved too. Personally I think all you can do is to be there for all three when asked to be and to keep arms open and mouth firmly shut.so hard to do. flowers to you.

Aka Mon 23-Jun-14 13:56:50

I don't see why that was a 'bombshell' Kate ... she was obviously upset that your DS was 'seeing someone else' which should tell you something. Nor do I understand why you should accuse her of 'one rule for her, one fir DS' when that is exactly what you are doing.

I think you need to step back from all this, for the sake of GC, and offer even-handed sympathy and support. Excellent advice fro Purple 'keep arms open and mouth firmly shut'.

Kate13 Wed 25-Jun-14 23:53:52

Thanks for your kind words Aka. I shall rest easy tonight.

Kate13 Thu 26-Jun-14 18:58:58

purple thank you for your very good advice. We've had DGS overnight and he's been a delight. No signs at all of anything being "abnormal". My DiL and DS have calmed things down for his sake and all is running reasonably well -or at least as well as it ever will be.
We are ALL going on holiday together in three weeks time, including DiL's parents and my two DGDs, his cousins. I'll take your advice
and be there and zip up! smile.
Thanks again x

Purpledaffodil Fri 27-Jun-14 07:10:46

Crikey Kate13 that is an impressive plan! I cannot imagine such a thing with my family. We are much too argumentative lively and would end up killing each other without doubt. Good to have something to look forward to as well flowers

Rowantree Fri 27-Jun-14 08:43:03

SO much wonderful advice and support here that I can't add much, but I just wanted to add my virtual hugs - you must be in so much pain about all this, and as to men crying -why on earth shouldn't they? IMO it's a sign of emotional health if people can express and show their feelings, however painful. Let him cry all he needs to and it's a credit to you that he feels able to confide in you. It must be very difficult though not to take sides, but I'd echo the gentle encouagement to try and avoid it if possible. No one knows what another couple's relationship is REALLY like and you only get one point of view from one of them. As Kiora says, you're in the middle, and you have a huge amount to cope with, so I hope you have friends and other family who can support you - and of course Gransnetters are always a listening ear. Hang in there and big hugs from me too flowers

Kate13 Fri 27-Jun-14 16:17:27

Thanks Rowantree. It's really comforting to know you guys are out there. I know there's nothing I can do to change things. Just got to stay steady and go with the gkow. Fortunately DiL hasn't rejected us and ,apart from last weekend, things have been running fairly smoothly. DGS seems to be taking it all as "normal" and is a happy and loving little boy so they've done well to keep their differences away from him. I wonder what will happen when he goes to school in September?
As far as the holiday is concerned, it's been a family tradition since DGS was 2, so "the norm". The grandparents get on very well so hopefully we can have a happy time for DGS. flowers and a big thank you to all of you who have been so supportive.

Iam64 Fri 27-Jun-14 18:13:04

Nothing much to add kate, but thinking of you. Family break ups are so hard on everyone involved. As others have said, be a listening ear, try and keep calm, and carry on!

Penstemmon Fri 27-Jun-14 18:54:24

Hi Kate sorry to hear about this difficult situation with your son ad his family.

You might find it helpful to have a some counselling about this. Relate or other organisations may guide you as to what is suitable for your circumstance.

Also if your son is still really upset about the situation he would benefit too from a completely neutral listening ear via counselling.

They seem to have been mature about their little boy's needs but adults need looking after too!

Take care flowers

Kate13 Sat 28-Jun-14 22:06:57

A good point Penstemmon. We're all so focused on DGS that I don't think anyone has thought about the adults. I'll talk to DS but suspect he'll say he's okay and doesn't need it.
I'm using you all as my counsellors but take your point that I should go and see someone. (DO is not much use in these situations!) I get mood swings-sometimes ok and practical, sometimes in the depths. Not even a glass or six help. sad
Thanks for the advice.

Kate13 Tue 01-Jul-14 22:46:26

Hi everybody. New twist. DD has decided we're all round the bend even considering a family holiday with all this stress and anger around. Has practically forbidden us to take the two DGDs into a potential war zone. So it looks as though only DS DGS DiL and her parents will go. We might go for a day.confused

littleflo Thu 31-Jul-14 12:43:21

Keep giving your son a shoulder to cry on. My son went through this harrowing episode 13 years ago with two toddlers. There are no easy answers to this heartbreaking time in your life. It made us all even closer as a family as his brother and sister were there for him too. My son, has had many court battles with his ex, but through perserverance has his kept the contact with his children. He has been lucky enough to remarry and have two more children. His new wife is brilliant, sadly the ex is still a pain.