Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

little gs has made me beam with pride, cry and laugh today

(24 Posts)
Lindylooby Wed 10-Sep-14 19:59:37

I look after my young gs aged 4 each weekday and overnight on a Wednesday.
Tomorrow is his first day at Primary School, he is so excited. 16 months ago my beloved dh died suddenly, gs and him had an amazing relationship. Dgs believes grandad is the man in the moon, and tells the moon exactly what he has done through the day.
Tonight, whilst eating his tea he suddenly turned to me and said, "Nannie what did grandad sound like, I can't remember his voice?" I asked him if he wanted to watch a dvd with grandad on to remind him, he said "yes please". We watched a dvd of a holiday dh and I went on about 10 years ago, he heard grandad laugh, talk, play crazy golf, and kiss me, he loved every minute of it.
when it ended he said "that's better I can hear him now, and I will remember it, and I am going to tell you a secret, you must not tell anyone, but I know grandad is going to watch me when I am at big school, but I really wish he was still here, I love him and I miss him so much!"
Well, how I didn't cry I don't know, anyway he is bathed and in bed asleep and I am sitting here blubbing. Just had to share.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Sep-14 20:03:21

Oh bless him. Bless you too Lindy. Try not to be sad. flowers

rubysong Wed 10-Sep-14 20:06:25

I'm blubbing too, Lindylooby, reading that. How wonderful to keep the memory of your DH alive like that, and how wonderful of the GS to say what he did.

Lindylooby Wed 10-Sep-14 20:16:18

Thank you ladies, gn was such a comfort to me when dh died, I really don't think I could have got through it without you. I love gn!

Kiora Wed 10-Sep-14 20:26:36

I want to blubber too. How poignant. flowers

Bellasnana Wed 10-Sep-14 20:38:45

How lovely that your little GS still keeps memories of his grandad so close to his heart. It must be a comfort to you that he has not forgotten him.
Hope his first day at primary goes well, good luck smile flowers

Agus Wed 10-Sep-14 20:42:13

That was so moving Lindy. I'm sure your adorable GS is a great comfort to you too. Little soldier flowers

Deedaa Wed 10-Sep-14 20:53:33

Aren't they lovely sometimes? Mine gave me a sheet of paper a couple of years ago. It had some words written among the drawings which I had to get him to translate as he'd not been writing long and his spelling was eccentric to say the least. He read out "Thankyou for everything Granny" I've still got it carefully put away smile

Lindylooby Wed 10-Sep-14 21:08:19

We are all so blessed for these beautiful gc aren't we?

gillybob Wed 10-Sep-14 21:30:43

Feeling a little tearful after reading your lovely post Lindylooby little ones do say some lovely, innocent thing don't they? You should feel really proud that he remembers his Grandad so well and shared his special secret with you.

My DGS started big school on Monday too and I admit to having mixed feelings. Although he was perfectly happy to go, I felt sad as he is my last baby grandchild to start school.

We are indeed "blessed" smile

rosequartz Wed 10-Sep-14 21:35:52

That has made me feel tearful as well, Lindylooby.

What a lovely little chap he must be.

Faye Wed 10-Sep-14 22:13:52

Dear little boy Lindy, I loved your post. flowers

Aka Wed 10-Sep-14 22:18:53

Lindylooby I'm sure your lovely grandson holds a very special place in your heart and he is helping you go through your grieving process. It's so good that you two can talk about his granddad without all the awkwardness that often happens between adults. I'm sure he'll never forget his granddad and together you will keep his memory alive ((((hugs))))

Ana Wed 10-Sep-14 22:19:05

Yes, me too, Lindylooby.

Lindylooby Wed 10-Sep-14 22:40:04

Thank you all. I have just downloaded another couple of photos on my profile page, was going to download more but it's taking ages.
I am so lucky that the Ellenor nurses helped and advised about how to talk to the gc about their grandad dying, this little gs saw grandad everyday and he has such a lovely way of remembering. My dh will live on in all our lives, it was the one promise I made to him on his deathbed, that we would not forget him!
the pallative care nurses told us that a dvd of grandad might well be called for in the future, they were right, and I am just pleased that I could solve dgs problem at not being able to recall his voice.

Aka Thu 11-Sep-14 07:15:04

I hope your GS starting school does not leave too big a hole in your life Lindy

Lona Thu 11-Sep-14 09:39:59

Oh Lindy he sounds a delightful little boy. That made me cry too, what a comfort he must be and how lovely that you can remember your dh together.

KatyK Thu 11-Sep-14 10:34:04

And what a lovely granddad he must have been to have left such an impression on the little boy.

rubylady Thu 11-Sep-14 10:39:58

You have had me in tears too. He sounds like a true little love. He has a part of his granddad in him, carrying him on. It is hard for children especially to look at a photo and remember how they used to laugh, move, certain looks and of course, sound. It was a very good idea to show him on a dvd to put his mind at rest and it was a delightful and comforting thing for him to say to you. You must be very proud of him. Thank you for the suggestion of the dvd, it reminds us all to take recordings of those we love while we can. God bless you and your lovely grandson. X

Galen Thu 11-Sep-14 11:07:50

Made me cry. Wish I'd a DVD of my late oh

Lindylooby Thu 11-Sep-14 11:23:12

Blubbing again! Dgs went off to school happy as Larry, whilst Mummy and Nannie had to gulp back the tears as we left the playground!
I am slightly biased but he is a really loving, thoughtful gs, always helping with jobs around the house, he goes to the drawer in the kitchenbthat grandad kept a screw driver set, gets it out and says "I'll help" last week I needed to unscrew the radiator cover, the phone rang, when I turned round there he was having put the screw back into the hole, fixing the cover to the wall and screwing it up. Did it perfectly, then happily said "Grandad would be proud of me helping you do his jobs!" Such a treasure.
yes, I advise everyone to capture precious moments recorded, I am lucky I have quite a few dvd's of dh, at thevtime didn't realise how important they would be after losing dh, I watch them all quite often, when I can't quite recall his laugh, his humour, just loving to see him "walking and talking" again, even if it is only on a machine.
Thank you dearest gns for your lovely words. [Flowers] for you all.

Deedaa Sun 14-Sep-14 13:11:24

My parents lived 300 miles away when the children were small but my father used to phone every week and always spoke to my daughter who was 3. He would threaten to come down the phone line to see her if she was naughty. He died when she was 4 but nearly 40 years later she still remembers those phone calls. I don't think she remembers visiting him in hospital before he died, which is probably as well because he was very ill. He was very pleased to see her though. Such a shame he didn't see his grandchildren grow up, he'd have been so proud.

rockgran Mon 15-Sep-14 01:23:11

What a lovely post. I'm really missing my grandsons aged 6 and just four this weekend. They are abroad and we haven't seen them for nearly a year. I worry that they will have forgotten us but your post gives me comfort. The oldest one had a lovely relationship with DH and I hope that will still be there when we visit them in a couple of months time. I have lots of DVDs of them but find them a bit painful to watch. How lovely that you have such good memories of your DH to share with your dgs. He sounds a real treasure.

overthehill Sat 22-Nov-14 17:04:49

Yes I was blubbing, lovely story.

I recently had my own sweet but also sad moment.

Little GD 17 months was sitting on my lap round her mum and dads whilst I was helping her put stickers in her Peppa Pig book.

It came time to leave so DH & I put our coats on. I noticed the look on her face of dismay, then as young as she is, she realised we were going and decided the best thing to do was to come with us so she got her coat and made her way to the front door.

Then of course she couldn't come and we had to leave to hear her crying..ah!!