Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

About to become a Gran

(39 Posts)
Georgiegirl14 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:20:40

My DIL is now in labour with our first DGS. I always imagined feeling excited, thrilled and full of joy. Instead I'm feeling anxious, reflective and struggling with being told when we will have visitation rights! They lived 200 miles away and have very set views about how they want to do things including us staying in a hotel rather than them at least for the first two weeks. Any advice would be gratefully received

Bellanonna Tue 15-Sep-15 17:05:36

.?

Juliagrandma Tue 15-Sep-15 17:03:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Magrithea Fri 14-Aug-15 18:16:00

Congratulations on the new arrival! Lots of good advice here and I'd agree with all of it. The other thing I've learnt is to know when to advise and when to zip it! Things have changed so much since DD was a babe in arms herself that Mammar's advice is somewhat outmoded! Be there to support, listen and generally help!

Try and remember how you felt when your DS was born and then you'll see how your DiL feels. It's not easy but you'll get there in the end.

dorsetpennt Fri 14-Aug-15 17:28:52

My first GD was born six years ago and now has a sister. I remember thinking that several things had changed since I had babies. I also thought that the poor new parents had almost too much information. It almost seemed that if the internet said it, it must be true. My only advice is to proffer advice if you are asked. Reassurance is helpful to a struggling new mum. The best thing is to be on hand to help with household duties, giving the parents time to get to know their new baby. Enjoy the wonder of grandparenthood it's so rewarding .

carolclark Fri 14-Aug-15 07:42:38

Congratulations. Being a grandparent is the most wonderful thing. You just need to be very patient for the first couple of months to let the new parents find their way but be there if they ask for help. It won't take them too long to realise they can't do it on their own and start to involve grandparents more. My first grandson is now 15 months old & I look after him for 2 days a week while my DIL goes to work. I absolutely love my days with him we have a great bond and wonderful fun! Son & daughter in law really appreciate my help now. Make the most of every second spent with Freddie.

Marmark1 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:24:25

Congratulations,Georgiegirl,if you're anything like me,you'll never have any money left. I spend all mine on my two.
My D,I,L wasn't very nice to me at first,but I never retaliated,I just go there and enjoy our G,C.and my G,D,gets very excited when she sees me,and don't let me go all afternoon.My D,I,L has realised I'm good with the kids,and relies on us for all the baby sitting.Shes ok with me now.
It could be knowing your place.Sit back and keep stum.My son will ask my opinion sometimes,but I wouldn't dare volunteer my opinion.
Having said that,the little girls two years five months,and the little boys five months,and they really are a joy to be with.

Georgiegirl14 Wed 12-Aug-15 19:08:04

Thanks everyone. We paid a visit on Sunday then popped in on our way home in Monday. They seem to be doing really well. Poor little Freddie was tongue tied but that had been corrected today so they are hoping the feeding improves. Popping down for three hours to take them to lunch on Tuesday so OH can meet him. My son went with me (he's unable to dog sit for us at the minute due to a broken ankle) Can't wait for another cuddle ��

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-15 13:48:17

Welcome to the world Freddie and congratulations Grandma. Enjoy!

nonnasusie Fri 07-Aug-15 11:49:55

Congratulations georgiegirlwine My step dd is expecting in September (due date 20th) so we are driving to England and arriving on the 16th. We hope the baby arrives early rather than late or we will miss him and not see him till Christmas!! We have to get back here as our 3 dogs will be in kennels! Still we will see the other gc and the youngest is being christened whilst we are there!

vegasmags Thu 06-Aug-15 20:07:28

What exciting news! I live 200 miles away from my DD and when their baby was born last year made a flying visit, only staying a couple of hours and taking with me, in an insulated bag, ready meals from M&S to keep them going for 2 or 3 days.

Katek Thu 06-Aug-15 20:03:09

Congratulations georgiegirl!! flowers

thatbags Thu 06-Aug-15 20:02:37

That's great, georgie. Welcome to the world, Freddie. flowers

FarNorth Thu 06-Aug-15 19:25:20

Wonderful news, Georgiegirl. sunshine flowers

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-15 16:31:17

Such nice news! Thanks for keeping us informed.

annodomini Thu 06-Aug-15 09:25:17

Congratulations, Georgiegirl. Joyful news and I can tell you are bursting with pride. You are going to have loads of fun with your Freddie. flowers

Gagagran Thu 06-Aug-15 09:22:38

Good news and a lovely name for a lovely boy! (My DGS is also a Freddie so of course I love the name!). Hope he brings you much joy over the years to come. flowers

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Aug-15 09:19:17

Wonderful news. Congratulations! flowers

Nelliemoser Thu 06-Aug-15 09:13:13

Georgiegirl14 Congratulations on your big new grandson. flowers

shysal Thu 06-Aug-15 09:01:28

flowers Congratulations! You have years of fun ahead.

Marmight Thu 06-Aug-15 08:04:41

Congratulations! flowers Freddie is a great name........

AshTree Thu 06-Aug-15 07:53:59

Oh massive congratulations georgiegirl. Welcome to the best club on earth. And welcome to dear Freddie (love the name).

Georgiegirl14 Thu 06-Aug-15 07:47:19

My beautiful grandson Freddie. Was born at 10.30 last night by c section weighing 9lb8oz. They discovered he was breech. Mum and baby are well and DS is ecstatic. We've had lots of pics - thank goodness for modefn technology - and I'm madly in love ��

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:01:37

Can't wait to hear the good news when it comes!

Georgiegirl14 Wed 05-Aug-15 12:14:58

Thanks everyone,you've made me feel so much better. I'm so glad. I found this site. It's lovely to hear from others who have be there.My DS is a strong charecter and it can often feel like we are walking on egg shells with him. Added to the fact my ex husband is due to arrive in three weeks for a months visit and the two of them don't get on. So much so that my DIL has asked me to go with him every time he visits as she doesn't want to spend time with him - neither do I ��but I will for her
Thanks again ladies

RedheadedMommy Wed 05-Aug-15 10:43:42

*visitors staying over I ment!
Definitely visit with food though grin
And massive congratulations for when he is here.