Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

OCD in DGC

(30 Posts)
Newquay Tue 22-Mar-16 22:38:41

I have a delightful 2 1/2 DGD who lives 2-3 hours away. She's a bright spark and feisty like her Mum (our DD) was and apparently her Dad was too.
However this last recent visit she has taken to insisting on several EXACT things at bedtime, wearing dressing gown, socks and slippers, a certain doll with attachments and holding a particular ball. This only started recently and when they tried to be firm and stop this she just lost the plot and got v upset. She's at nursery 4 days a week, long days from 7.30-5pm so is v tired and doesn't spend a lot of time with parents for those 4 days but they're all together v happily the rest of the time. They, quite rightly, don't want to upset her when it's the end of a long tiring day for them all. I don't know what to suggest-not that I've been asked I hasten to add. They are about to move house so I feel it's better left until they all settle down in new house in about a month's time and feel she will want to leave off some clothing then as she will be too hot but I would hate this to become a serious problem which we should have tackled now. Anyone any experience of this in young children?

Deedaa Wed 23-Mar-16 21:30:19

For a long time we referred to GS2 as OCD Baby because everything always had to be just so and things had to be put in their proper place the minute you finished with them, but now he's three it seems to have mostly disappeared - except for his refusal to wear a coat until it gets to about -10 degrees!

rosesarered Wed 23-Mar-16 21:35:40

Yes, hopefully it's a passing phase.I successfully talked our son ( when he was eight) out of OCD behaviour, hand washing, and also did the same for autistic DGS a year ago.It all comes from anxiety.

Jalima Wed 23-Mar-16 23:47:59

DGD has one of those little teddies with tiny soft blanket attached to them; they had to buy two in case one got left behind somewhere as she won't go to sleep without it even though she is 4.

Newquay Thu 24-Mar-16 00:12:33

Thank you all for your contributions-most helpful. There seems to be a balance between letting this phase just pass without comment and making it into a big issue but also being aware that true OCD exists as stated here and wanting to "nip things in the bud" if necessary/possible.
She does have a favourite-good old Eeyore. I suggested that DD get a spare and so DGC now has three. One always goes to nursery with her but only for when she has a sleep. She talks quite happily about clean Eeyore and dirty Eeyore as she sucks an ear and she happily lets them go into the wash. They mercifully wash and dry very quickly. He is the solution to any problem? Her Mummy had a sucky cloth-we ended up cutting it into four so we always had a spare. She doesn't need it now! Lol!