Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

OCD in DGC

(29 Posts)
f77ms Tue 22-Mar-16 23:48:00

It sounds as if she is v anxious , OCD behaviour manifests as a way of coping with anxious thoughts if that's what they are . You say she is at nursery 7.30 till 5 ? it is a very long day for such a young child and perhaps she is over tired on top of everything else .
I would not stop her having her `comfort items` until she is more settled in the new house especially as she gets so upset . Maybe try to undress her when she has gone to sleep so she doesn`t boil !
Quite often they grow out of these things but I understand your concern , maybe you could ask her about it when she is with you to try to find out if something is bothering her .xx

Newquay Tue 22-Mar-16 23:36:06

Thanks Anniebach do hope so. She's too young really to understand about the house move although we have said to her she's going to have a lovely new room soon and, of course, she says "no" but then she tends to say that to most things! The packers have been in today, house now full of boxes so she will realise soon that something's up that's for sure. She's spending Easter with Mummy and Daddy and other grandparents which she adores so she'll have a wonderful few days but. . . . Then back to a rented home for a few weeks. Like you I think/hope it will pass. They are aware of it so will do what needs to be done all in good time-hope it's not five though!

Anniebach Tue 22-Mar-16 22:55:06

I have a nephew who had a problem when he was about five Newquay it passed. Perhaps the little mite is concerned about the move and it will pass when they have settled in. She is very young , could be the same as our elder daughter who would not get into bed until her panda was in the bed first.

Newquay Tue 22-Mar-16 22:38:41

I have a delightful 2 1/2 DGD who lives 2-3 hours away. She's a bright spark and feisty like her Mum (our DD) was and apparently her Dad was too.
However this last recent visit she has taken to insisting on several EXACT things at bedtime, wearing dressing gown, socks and slippers, a certain doll with attachments and holding a particular ball. This only started recently and when they tried to be firm and stop this she just lost the plot and got v upset. She's at nursery 4 days a week, long days from 7.30-5pm so is v tired and doesn't spend a lot of time with parents for those 4 days but they're all together v happily the rest of the time. They, quite rightly, don't want to upset her when it's the end of a long tiring day for them all. I don't know what to suggest-not that I've been asked I hasten to add. They are about to move house so I feel it's better left until they all settle down in new house in about a month's time and feel she will want to leave off some clothing then as she will be too hot but I would hate this to become a serious problem which we should have tackled now. Anyone any experience of this in young children?