Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

what age do they whip their own bots

(45 Posts)
Cath9 Mon 04-Apr-16 14:43:47

I have this granddaughter who will be 5 in a few weeks, but I still have such difficulty getting her to whip her own bottom. She has just done it herself, but that was after so much fuss, any answers?

Bellasnana Fri 06-May-16 20:09:30

Yes, Ana she really does call it her butt having spent her first four years in the USA. Maltese children call it their 'patata' which also means potato. smile

I never referred to mine as a bum either, it was just a 'bottom' grin

Ana Wed 27-Apr-16 17:31:15

But just remembered I think you live abroad, Bellasnana so of course they'll have different names for their 'bits'!

Ana Wed 27-Apr-16 17:28:51

Does she really say 'butt'? Never heard a child call it that, it's usually 'bum'? grin

Bellasnana Wed 27-Apr-16 17:16:09

My five year old DGD usually needs a bit of help and calls when she is ready. Sometimes she does it herself but comes in with her pants round her ankles, bends over and asks "Is my butt clean, nana?". What a view grin

Witzend Wed 27-Apr-16 16:41:43

I still remember when I was 5 or 6 having friends of my folks to stay - they had a daughter of about 3, and siblings and I found it hilarious how she would shout at the top of her voice in a sort of sing-song from the loo, 'MUMMY WILL YOU COME TO ME COS I AM ON THE LAVVY AND I HAVE DONE A JOBBIE!'

Wendysue Thu 07-Apr-16 00:19:46

What do the parents say? Do they want her to wipe her own bottom? Or do they prefer that an adult still does it? If they don't let her do it, that may be your problem. Best to go along, IMO, with the parents' wishes.

hulahoop Wed 06-Apr-16 21:20:29

We are still trying to get nearly 4yr old gd to go for poo on toilet without nappy on
Wee wise dry at 2 it's a problem she is a bright happy little thing ?

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 12:40:13

Oh, poor little chap.

Nonnie Wed 06-Apr-16 11:58:14

Sorry to bring a serious note here but I know a little chap who is so frightened of getting it on his pants that he won't go at school because "Mummy will be angry if I get it on my pants"

Indinana Wed 06-Apr-16 11:21:22

grin

Cath9 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:05:39

Oops! sorry folks, of course I meant whipe, not whip! If I did the latter I would be sent out of the house! I always was bad at spelling.
Thanks for all the replies, haven't read them all yet, but thought I better make myself understood first.

Luckygirl Tue 05-Apr-16 22:17:21

My little ones say: "Bottom in the air, like you just don't care!"

Faye Tue 05-Apr-16 22:14:20

GD 4 calls out that she is ready and when I go to wipe her bottom she has her head on the floor and her bottom in the air. She makes me laugh, then after we wash our hands she checks to see if her bottom was wiped properly. ?

DS at four used to stand on the toilet lid and call through the window if my mother and I were outside (we lived on a hill and my mother often helped me in the garden) "Grandma wipe my bottom," in a sing song voice. Mum would have to trudge up the hill. ?

Luckygirl Tue 05-Apr-16 22:13:35

The first time one of my DDs wiped her own bottom, she was gone a long time - I opened the door to find her sitting (like a flower fairy on a rose!) with masses of pink toilet paper erupting around her - she thought you had to use the whole roll!

The same DD - practicing for her future as a republican - having finished her evacuation asked "Was I full of poo?" I replied "Well not completely full."
Long pause...."Is the queen full of poo?" That's my girl!!

Ana Tue 05-Apr-16 22:02:05

I see the OP hasn't come back - can't blame her! grin

Jalima Tue 05-Apr-16 21:44:42

They always behave so much better when they have had a good whipping.

DM always insisted that I had to 'go properly' before I went to school.
DGD is 4 and likes to whip wipe her own bot, occasionally I do a check but it is usually fine.

Thebeeb Tue 05-Apr-16 21:38:36

Love this post. Made my day with the title chuckled so much even DH stirred from his ipad.

Latest GD about 2 years . Two before that around 3. But did need a little checking up on.

Bet the latest one(a boy) will be later though. Be interesting.

shysal Tue 05-Apr-16 11:52:43

When my father was talking to his neighbour over the fence he heard my young brother shouting from the house 'I've run out of paper'. He turned to the neighbour and said 'he is writing a book'! smile

Willow500 Tue 05-Apr-16 11:40:58

LOL so funny! I can't remember when mine first did it themselves being as they're now 44 and 41. I do remember the eldest one having a lot of problems with constipation when he was about 3 and constantly soiling himself - his daughter also suffered the same problem and was in hospital a couple of times, she still had problems when she went to school which resulted in some nasty taunts from the other kids and letters home to her parents. The younger granddaughter seemed to be about 4 when she stopped shouting 'ready' when she was done.

grannylyn65 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:38:28

The title of this post will always make me. chuckle; when my son was that age, we were having dinner in a restaurant, he said he needed the loo and could manage. A few minutes later he ran out of the loo, trousers down shouting ' I can't reach the loose paper!!!'

grannylyn65 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:18:31

I have one like that roses!!'

rosesarered Mon 04-Apr-16 19:08:35

had to wipe DGS2 today, ( he is nearly 4) and he allowed me to accompany him to the bathroom, then said rather grandly ' I'll call you when I need you' ( which he duly did.) grin

rosesarered Mon 04-Apr-16 19:06:35

I still have to wipe DGS 1 and he is 11 ( special needs boy.)

rosesarered Mon 04-Apr-16 19:05:26

Perhaps most children won't want to do more than a wee in nursery or school though?You need to feel comfortable for where you are for a bowel movement, which is why a lot have problems on holiday.

Greenfinch Mon 04-Apr-16 19:00:42

As soon as they are able to use a big toilet. They may not always get it quite right but that doesn't matter. Surely if they go to nursery at three they will be looking after themselves.