Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandmothers who can't help out because of increase in State Pension age

(37 Posts)
JiltedPensioner Mon 09-May-16 11:27:02

Many grandmothers eager to help care for their grandchildren are unable to do so because of the increase in State Pension age forcing them to work on - many until 66 years old.

Those grandmothers who are lucky enough not to be in this position, please support us and join us at our next main event which is a static Demo on the College Green adjacent to the Houses of Parliament on Wednesday 29 June from 12 noon onwards. We look forward to seeing you there - all welcome.

chelseababy Wed 11-May-16 14:35:50

Stephen Crabb was answering DWP questions today and was asked a question about Waspi.....one problem he mentioned is that there is no clarity re their aims. He also said he had been told by many that they did not support the cost neutral option (taking pension earlier at lower rate). He said opposition parties should not give false hope. Very disappointed. However All Party Parliamentary Group AGM at 2pm today.

chelseababy Wed 11-May-16 18:46:30

There is an on line poll on the subject of increased pension ages, Google mirror + waspi. Thank you.

Eloethan Wed 11-May-16 21:05:19

I wholeheartedly support this campaign and, although I'm old enough (and lucky enough) not to have been affected, I hope to be able to attend the demo. I feel it is divisive to imply criticism of those who can't, for whatever reason, join in on that day and it doesn't bode well for a united campaign.

I hope all the people who are affected by this will also feel more inclined to have sympathy for other groups of people who find themselves in a desperate financial position - in work, out of work or in retirement - due to the policies of this government.

scarlet1 Fri 13-May-16 10:57:28

I have followed the link and written to the MP, I also think that the role of GP in child care is so underestimated. Parents are under such pressure with child care costs, longer working hours and the guilt of leaving their children in a nursery for extended period can be replaced with, the knowledge you have a well loved and trusted family member with them, who is also benefiting from strengthening their bond.
Good Luck!

JiltedPensioner Sat 14-May-16 21:40:13

Please all have a look at the new website for Women Against State Pension Inequality launched a few days ago.
www.waspi.co.uk

Unfortunately, distance, health issues and cost will prevent many women from attending the Demo but do have a look at the website for other ways to support.
Many thanks to you all.

JiltedPensioner Sat 14-May-16 21:40:38

Please all have a look at the new website for Women Against State Pension Inequality launched a few days ago.
www.waspi.co.uk

Unfortunately, distance, health issues and cost will prevent many women from attending the Demo but do have a look at the website for other ways to support.
Many thanks to you all.

JiltedPensioner Sat 14-May-16 21:45:51

www.waspi.co.uk

Many thanks to you all.

JiltedPensioner Sat 14-May-16 23:18:41

www.waspi.co.uk

Many thanks to you all.

JiltedPensioner Sun 15-May-16 20:26:10

www.waspi.co.uk

Many thanks to you all.

M0nica Mon 16-May-16 15:37:04

As longevity rises and women seek equality with men, why should not both sexes retire at the same equal older age?

I think the number of families having childcare problems as a result of this structured age rise is relatively few. Most Gransnetters seem to be come grandparents a good while before they reach retirement age, and there are so many other reasons why grandparents cannot help to look after grandchildren. For example I have been unable to offer any care for my DGC because I live 200 miles away, then their are grandparents with disabilities or other caring responsibilities, and others that have no desire to be involved in child care. Why give special favours to one small group of grandparents? What happens to those without grandchildren? Should they stay at work?

I certainly support that unfortunate group of women caught up in the current situation where they were given littler or no notice of a sudden significant rise in their retirement age, I do think that should be sorted in their favour, but as for cancelling the overall planned rise in pension age because a few grandparents might no longer be able to provide child care for two years. I can see no justification for that at all.

JiltedPensioner Fri 20-May-16 18:52:37

Please all have a look at the new website for Women Against State Pension Inequality launched recently.
www.waspi.co.uk
Many thanks to you all.